Author Topic: avast and other programs  (Read 12992 times)

jmauldin

avast and other programs
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:45:39 AM »
will avast work with other antivirus programs such as avg?

Negeltu

Re:avast and other programs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 01:07:33 AM »
You should never run two or more av resident/on access scanners at the same time.  

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 01:30:01 AM »
First of all, WELCOME to forums !

Better don't try it with any other antivirus or firewall, not just with avast!

If you need good back up scanner, just type HOUSECALL in Google and you'll find one of the best online scanners, Trend Micro's Housecall.

That one will not interfere with your avast!, that's for sure...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:30:24 AM by Craftec »

fannymites

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 01:45:31 AM »
Sorry for post hijacking but do any of these online scans work with Firefox?  The ones I've tried say I have to use IE which I don't use unless I absolutely have to.

inthewildteam

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 01:59:36 AM »
Sorry for post hijacking but do any of these online scans work with Firefox?  The ones I've tried say I have to use IE which I don't use unless I absolutely have to.

I think the online scans are looking for activex controls to load the programme.  I have the same problem with Firefox, although I don't have I.E. as my primary browser.

You can use I.E. for the online scans, just make sure it's set to notify about  activex in the security settings.  I think sp2 does this automatically for you.  I'm sure someone who uses I.E. will be able to help you with this as I haven't applied the sp2 patch yet.

Fast

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 04:19:51 AM »
Avast! does not conflict with BitDefender Free edition since this program has no "guard" running in the background.
Since the vdf's are well encrypted, you can use them running at the same time with no conflicts whatsoever.
Also ClamWin doesn't interfere with Avast! but is a lousy scanner compared to Avast! and BitDefender, so no use in using this one.
Of course you can use a firewall like Kerio, Sygate and any other that has no mail interception. (don't use Zone-Alarm, Outpost or Omniquad ! ).

Fast :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 04:31:24 AM »
Fast
Zone Alarm an Outpost are widely used with Avast! without any problems.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 04:32:09 AM »
Of course you can use a firewall like Kerio, Sygate and any other that has no mail interception. (don't use Zone-Alarm, Outpost or Omniquad ! ).

When we speak about avast! and it's compatibility, can't mix words "Outpost" and "not"... Outpost is one of the best firewalls ever. Up and running here beautifully, without any single problem... Many of us, old avast! users  are using Outpost, and we all are very very happy. Wouldn't change Outpost for nothing...

Kerio - too leakky, and that's the one that caused some problems for avast! users... don't know how about now, but I remember there vere some reports in these forums regarding Kerio.

Sygate - very good firewall with lousy technical support, plus well know shutdown error on so many computers, and no one from Sygate team is doing anything to solve that problem.

Famous Error Message:
smc.exe
Instruction 0x00524d51 (NOTE: always this value) at 0x00000000
The memory could not be "read".

Check this thread (one of many with exactly the same issue):

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11098

avast! adores Outpost, Outpost loves avast! I don't use ZoneAlarm any more, just because I found it to be little bit bigger system hog than it should be, but while I was using it, it never gave me any single problem with avast! Actually, I think that ZA works with avast! better than any other firewall out there...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 04:37:23 AM by Craftec »

Fast

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 05:21:10 AM »
Jee guys, I'm sorry.
Didn't mean to step on anyones toes.
I've learned a lot from this one little post.
I agree that Outpost is a very good firewall.
I have used it for many years until I got dsl. Then the troubles began.
And since Í couldn't get it to work I got rid of it, but that's my problem I guess. Zone-Alarm was fine, until I got to the version number 5.
Everything froze, probably due to what you call resource-hog (?).
Finally I got Sygate 5.5 and it doesn't seem to cause any problems sofar.
But, as I read in your replies, there's potential in all of them to do some kind of harm to some kind of combination.
I will think twice before I post in the future. Thanks for your replies and have a good day (or evening/ night on your side of the planet ;) )

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 07:04:54 AM »
Trend Micro HouseCall works in Firefox,because its a Java based application(the scanner). Most of others are ActiveX based.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

NeilS

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 11:21:16 AM »
Avast can cause problems with some online scans - Avast reports viruses or other infection that are actually virus definitions found within one online scan service (trend I think). This is blamed on the online service  - because the definitions are not encrypted or password locked (as they are in many scanners) the Avast scanner identifies the definition as a threat!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 12:03:42 PM »
Jee guys, I'm sorry.
Didn't mean to step on anyones toes.
I've learned a lot from this one little post.
I will think twice before I post in the future. Thanks for your replies and have a good day (or evening/ night on your side of the planet ;) )

No Fast, why ? You don't have to sorry... no one attacked you or your opinion. We just corrected few things that you said... we are here to help each other, so we like to say what are our experiences with some of those applications...

You are always welcome to give your opinion as everybody else... these forums are free forums, no one will force you to change your opinion, but we like to correct something if it's not true... myself, I was wrong so many times, so it's nice if we have somebody who watch our posts and corrects something if it's needed...

I hope you like spending time in these forums, so please, feel like you're home. Your comments are always very welcome !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:04:45 PM by Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
Avast can cause problems with some online scans ... because the definitions are not encrypted or password locked (as they are in many scanners) the Avast scanner identifies the definition as a threat!

This will happen with very few on-line scanners, for instance, Panda.
But the problem, as you said, regards to Panda and not avast.

I agree that Outpost is a very good firewall.
I have used it for many years until I got dsl. Then the troubles began.
And since Í couldn't get it to work I got rid of it, but that's my problem I guess. Zone-Alarm was fine, until I got to the version number 5.
Everything froze, probably due to what you call resource-hog (?).
Finally I got Sygate 5.5 and it doesn't seem to cause any problems sofar.
But, as I read in your replies, there's potential in all of them to do some kind of harm to some kind of combination.

I did the opposite walk, from ZA to Sygate and then, finally, to Outpost.
Oh, besides Sasha's suggestion, pk (where is he?  ;D) give me the 'light'  8)

Kerio - too leakky... Sygate - very good firewall with lousy technical support...
Outpost loves avast! I don't use ZoneAlarm any more. Actually, I think that ZA works with avast! better than any other firewall out there...

The same experience. I don't blame with any of these firewalls. Kerio I used to few to say something about...
The best things in life are free.

the_protector

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 07:54:18 PM »
i don't hav any problem at al running to antivirus apps.
i run avast and antivir togheter.
And it works great

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 08:14:18 PM »
i don't hav any problem at al running to antivirus apps.
i run avast and antivir togheter.
And it works great

The personal version of AntiVir is free but, without a resident.
They won't be incompatible because the only resident provider will be of avast.
You can add other backup (non-resident) scanner to your computer without incompatibility: F-Prot for DOS or BitDefender Free version  ;)
The best things in life are free.