Author Topic: Can't download updates  (Read 10954 times)

buncer

Can't download updates
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
Hi,
For the past two weeks I have not been able to update definitions. I even removed the old version I had and installed new version with no luck. No idea what to do, the only other antivirus thing I have is spybot and I have had both avast and spybot working together for over two years with no problems.
I need help!!!!
Thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
Re: Can't download updates
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
Here is what we think about SpyBot  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75288.0

Try removing avast with the removal tool reboot and install again   http://www.avast.com/en-no/uninstall-utility

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
-   How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.

Remember to reboot after uninstalling SB.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

buncer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
Hi,
Have disabled spybot and restarted. Still no effect. My avast program is version 6.0.1000 and my last definitions update was 110401-2 on 24/2/2011.
Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
Spybot? C'mon... outdated and not reliable...
The best things in life are free.

buncer

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
Spybot gone and still no luck with the connecting to server.
Any more suggestions?

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
Spybot gone and still no luck with the connecting to server.
Any more suggestions?

fresh Avast install

Dieselman

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »
Are you using any sort of 3rd party firewall which may be blocking Avast?

buncer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
As far as I know there is only windows firewall on the computer. I shall remove avast and reinstall.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dieselman

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
As far as you know? You should know whats currently installed and running on your pc. Especially when it comes to security.

buncer

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Hi,
Back again. Took three tries to download avast again. Have now been waiting 17 minutes for definitions update to work, all it says is "initializing, please wait" and nothing is happening.
Computer is work supplied and I have no idea what security is on it. That is why I have put avast on it. It does not come up in flashing lights that "you have XXXXXX security on this machine".
If you have one last solution I am willing to try, otherwise it is adios avast.
Thanks for your help

Dieselman

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »
Hi,
Back again. Took three tries to download avast again. Have now been waiting 17 minutes for definitions update to work, all it says is "initializing, please wait" and nothing is happening.
Computer is work supplied and I have no idea what security is on it. That is why I have put avast on it. It does not come up in flashing lights that "you have XXXXXX security on this machine".
If you have one last solution I am willing to try, otherwise it is adios avast.
Thanks for your help

Every pc owner should be aware of whats installed on there pc. Open up your system tray,where you clock is and tell me whats there.

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »
Open up your system tray,where you clock is and tell me whats there.

There are icons. Lots of pretty much nondescriptive icons. People normally look into Control Panel - Programs and features applet to find out what they have installed, not into the system tray.  ::)

Dieselman

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
system tray will tell him what security is running or whats running in real time. Installed programs dont mean anything unless they are currently running.

doktornotor

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »
Installed programs dont mean anything unless they are currently running.

And wrong again. System tray will absolutely not tell him what drivers are loaded for any stuff that is "not running". Another AV "not running" will still heavily conflict with other stuff because "not running" will not disable the drivers from loading. Ditto for firewalls etc.