Author Topic: Is it Ok to Leave the Avast Sandbox Enabled When Updating Windows Updates?  (Read 7968 times)

Offline cheater87

Is it safe to leave the Avast Sandbox ON when updating Windows Updates or installing other programs?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:57:05 AM by cheater87 »
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

DBone

I have mine set to "ask" for that reason.

Offline cheater87

I will set it for ask. I had mine set to automatic so is that ok? Should the shield come up still if I had it on automatic?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:04:05 AM by cheater87 »
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Dch48

If you mean the autosandbox in the Free version, I see no reason not to leave it on. I would highly doubt that it would try to sandbox anything coming from Windows Update. It certainly didn't for me.

Offline cheater87

I will put it on ask or turn it off then. Thank you for your help. Also have there been any FP's before for the sandbox?

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
what i think is windows update happens on restart half part when shutting down and half after booting...
so whats the problem with having avast sandbox auto or ask??

I mean avast sandbox is not active during this...If I am not wrong
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Dch48

There have been no FP's I know of unless you mean alerts for safe programs. There have been some of those but very few. I was saying that I see no reason to turn it off when doing Windows Updates. As far as having it on ask goes, that's how mine stays all the time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:38:15 AM by Dch48 »

Gargamel360

I will put it on ask or turn it off then. Thank you for your help. Also have there been any FP's before for the sandbox?
Eh, technically no.  It flags things only as "suspisious" or not, so since it is never "positive" about anything, a FP is technically not possible.  

But technicalities aside, it has sandboxed things everyone and their mother knows is safe before, yes.  But less reports of this (here on the forum anyway) since it was first released till now.

Offline cheater87

Shes worried about if the Avast sandbox had an error and trapped the windows update yellow shield.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Shes worried about if the Avast sandbox had an error and trapped the windows update yellow shield.

Who is she here by the way?
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

Dieselman

Anything Microsoft related is whitelisted.

cadremis

22 updates came 3 or 4 days ago in my 2 computers and Avast Sandbox didn't ask anything..rm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Anything Microsoft related is whitelisted.
Wrong. Just wrong.
There is no whitelist at all.
The best things in life are free.

Offline cheater87

If I have sandbox set to auto will it still alert me if something is caught?

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
what do you mean by something is caught....? If its a virus then its not a job of autosand box but file shield will alert you. But if its a suspicious file then YES avast sandbox will give you an option to run it in a virtual environment
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:59:16 AM by Ashish Singh »