Author Topic: SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 limited Pre-Release  (Read 56574 times)

Dieselman

Re: SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 limited Pre-Release
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
Can you explain this SuperAntispy? What is your input on 1/20? Sorry for the video guys but I am asking SuperAntiSspy a legit question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW3F-ydxbB8&feature=player_embedded

SUPERAntiSpy

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2011, 08:20:35 PM »
Can you explain this SuperAntispy? What is your input on 1/20? Sorry for the video guys but I am asking SuperAntiSspy a legit question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW3F-ydxbB8&feature=player_embedded

This is typical of "scan the folder" tests - we are really geared to detect samples on live systems, not in a desktop folder. MBAM and Hitman also get provided those samples, where we don't - we are working with MRG (done), VT (done), MalwareTips and many others to be on their distribution lists - I know for a fact that they are provided to those other companies directly - it's just a matter of us getting on their distribution lists - which we are working on. For instance I can post a video of scanning our samples that we process and we'll detect >90% of them and MBAM and Hitman, etc. won't detect nearly as many - why? - because they don't yet have some of those samples.  It's just the reality in the malware game - we receive over 50k samples each and every day - we get many others don't get and they get many we don't get.

Dieselman

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
Chris and Sveta from MRG are friends of mine. SAS has done very poorly on there zero day tests. I am a member of MT also. I could see maybe 15/20 being excusable but 1/20.............Rather pathetic.

SUPERAntiSpy

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »
Chris and Sveta from MRG are friends of mine. SAS has done very poorly on there zero day tests. I am a member of MT also. I could see maybe 15/20 being excusable but 1/20.............Rather pathetic.

Yes, I know Chris and Sveta as well and we are working together on the samples - that are very nice people. I can easily put together a youtube/test of SAS, MBAM and Hitman using the samples we process and receive and see on live machines to show the same situation with SAS (likley) detecting more than others - it's the reality in the game - a single solution is NEVER enough.

Didn't you yourself test in the wild on home computers and found SAS detected items MBAM missed, and MBAM detected something we missed? The post in in this thread...

Dieselman

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
That was once...............With one sample. This is 20 samples and only 1 detection.

SUPERAntiSpy

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
That was once...............With one sample. This is 20 samples and only 1 detection.

Yes, once with a REAL WORLD infection on a REAL USERS computer - that's actual testing, not scanning a folder on a desktop of samples that may or may not have come from a real users computer. Detecting honeypot or harvested samples rarely is the same as active users computers - why do I know this? Because we receive the VirusTotal Samples, MRG Samples and samples from 10's of thousands of daily downloads - and what we see is that there often is little crossover between the VT/MRG and the actual machines as far as "zero-day" and "spreading" infections. So your test was more "real-world" (whom we are geared to help) than a random folder scan test or scanning older samples.

Dieselman

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
So are you justifying these failures and missed samples?

SUPERAntiSpy

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
So are you justifying these failures and missed samples?

I am trying to educate real users in the real world. You yourself saw it in action on your customers machines - that's real-world. Again, you didn't go to customer machines, copy some random files on the desktop and scan those - you scanned real machines with real infections in the wild, paid for by real people and saw that SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 detected items missed by MalwareBytes and you saw the opposite on another machine - which just proves the abosolute fact that a single solution is not enough these days - each product will catch different things on different days.

For example, I just processed 2 dozen samples that MBAM, AVG and 28 others didn't detect (they were detected by ESET and KIS), but now on our next definition release, SUPERAntiSpyware will - when MBAM and others get around to those they will eventually detect them - that's the way it works.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
No Anti-spyware, Anti-malware, and Anti-virus program can detect everything. :P
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Hermite15

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
No Anti-spyware, Anti-malware, and Anti-virus program can detect everything. :P

... nope, but a so called "AV suite" can, as it includes anti-spyware abilities
>>> test this with Avast http://www.spycar.org/ (to be taken as just an example, not the ultimate proof of anything, like any test).

Dieselman

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
I love when people say small samples don't matter. I work for an engineering company. Believe me when we are testing beta products and 19 fail out of 20......................The presses stop. Emergency kicks in and everybody is curious to see what happened. No one says "Well it was only 20 pumps". Whatever. So if 11 apples are bad in a bag full of 12 you will still buy it? NOT. So if Avast missed 19 samples out of 20 you would say "So what".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:15:54 PM by Dieselman »

Dch48

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
I did notice a bug. I have the option to show the right click scan in explorer context menus selected and it's not there. Only the ones for Avast! and MBAM are showing.

First the latest version is now 5.0.1078 and the right click context menu entry is there on my XP Pro system. Have you rebooted since installing/updating (?), I found today when I updated to the latest 5.0.1078 build that afterwards it was still showing the old build in the tooltip. Restarting SAS then showed the correct build.
I have the latest build and have rebooted a few times. There is still no context menu scan entry showing.

SUPERAntiSpy

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 11:21:35 PM »
I did notice a bug. I have the option to show the right click scan in explorer context menus selected and it's not there. Only the ones for Avast! and MBAM are showing.

First the latest version is now 5.0.1078 and the right click context menu entry is there on my XP Pro system. Have you rebooted since installing/updating (?), I found today when I updated to the latest 5.0.1078 build that afterwards it was still showing the old build in the tooltip. Restarting SAS then showed the correct build.
I have the latest build and have rebooted a few times. There is still no context menu scan entry showing.

What OS, etc.? What other security software is running? We'll track it down!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:55 PM »
OK, here we go again.
If you test 20 samples, and 19 fail... you should be asking "is there anything wrong with my sample selection?". "Did I actually choose 19 samples of the same malware family?" etc.
There are hundreds of thousands of samples out there that the particular product doesn't detect, no matter what product it is... so unless you're pretty damn sure that your selection is random, well representing the overall situation (or not - sure, you can be interested in your local malware, in which case the sample set should represent that, of course) - then no, the result is meaningless, and the correct reaction is "so what".

SUPERAntiSpy

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
I love when people say small samples don't matter. I work for an engineering company. Believe me when we are testing beta products and 19 fail out of 20......................The presses stop. Emergency kicks in and everybody is curious to see what happened. No one says "Well it was only 20 pumps". Whatever. So if 11 apples are bad in a bag full of 12 you will still buy it? NOT. So if Avast missed 19 samples out of 20 you would say "So what".

Well good thing I am the president/CEO of successful anti-spyware company and have been in the trenches for 27 years in software development, spending the last 11 years in security software so I do understand the reality of these situations. Yes, we may get the "stop" button pressed on your test, but then the other company (just as has happened) has the same emergency and guess what, SUPERAntiSpyware is the one that fixes the problem and the "go" button gets pressed.

There is no real argument you can make - meaning NO single product can catch everything on a given day so a layered solution of anti-spyware+anti-virus+firewall is the solution so for instance running Avast+SUPERAntiSpyware+MBAM makes and excellent layered set of protection.

SUPERAntiSpyware is an effective tool in the fight against malware - we don't view Avast, MBAM, etc. etc. etc. and the 200 other products as competitors as we are ALL working TOGETHER in the fight against malware.

You just need to realize that the enemy is the malware/infection NOT SUPERAntiSpyware (or any other product helping in the fight!) - for some reason you are getting too focused on SUPERAntiSpyware and trying to attack us and our effectiveness. We've had over 40 million downloads and been around for over 7 years, surely that wouldn't be the case if we never detected malware/spyware, etc. etc.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:29:42 PM by SUPERAntiSpy »