Author Topic: Avast Free AV and Mozilla Thunderbird  (Read 10484 times)

Traveler

Avast Free AV and Mozilla Thunderbird
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
I have 2 POP mail accounts on Thunderbird, one with the server name incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and the other pop.mail.yahoo.com.  (Yes, I know this is like someone else's problem.)  A few days ago I installed Free AV 6.0.1091, and since then the verizon account won't download any e-mails.  (The Yahoo acct. still works.)
I have tried turning off the Mail Shield, but that makes it worse.  Then I get a Thunderbird pop-up message that says it can't connect to the server.  I know I have messages on the verizon acct. because I can download them on my Yahoo home page.
I believe I have the Verizon account listed correctly on the SSL accounts page.
I'm running Windows 7.
Any help would be appreciated.

Nesivos

Re: Avast Free AV and Mozilla Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
If you don't mind leaving your emails on the Yahoo Server and

If you are using Firefox then the easiest way to get your Yahoo email is to install the "Yahoo Mail Notifier" Addon at the Firefox Addons website.

Once installed a little envelope icon for Yahoo email will show up on the Firefox Addons toolbar at the bottom of the Firefox page.   When you get an incoming email for your Yahoo account a "1" will pop up to the right of the envelope icon.  As emails increment so will the number.  To see your Yahoo emails click on the envelope icon and you will taken to your the Yahoo email page in Firefox.  From there you can do what you will.    The Yahoo Mail Notifier can be set to automatically log you into you Yahoo Mail account when you load Firefox.

The only downside I found to using the Addon is that the emails remain on the Yahoo server.  If there are only a few that would like to keep in Thunderbird then just forward those emails to your Thunderbird ISP email account.

If you use the Addon then you will have one less thing to worry about conflicting with Avast.

Traveler

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Thanks for your reply, which is resourceful.  But is there any way I can actually make Avast and Thunderbird compatible?

GrandPrixGXP

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
Honestly speaking your better off just visiting the sites. Whats wrong with going right to Yahoo.com and checking your mail?

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »
Honestly speaking your better off just visiting the sites. Whats wrong with going right to Yahoo.com and checking your mail?

and what's wrong with using an email client ??? ... you don't solve issues by avoiding them, troubleshooting is the key word here ; + there's a mail shield in this AV suite (remember, you're on Avast forums) and it's meant to be used for those who want to. Especially if the guy has two accounts, the case here ::)

@ the OP: I don't use yahoo mail but okay, if no ssl is required on POP and SMTP, leave the required server settings as is in Thunderbird and check what the mail shield detected and did >>> go to mail shield advanced panel, ssl accounts section and if you see that Avast is redirecting to ssl ports, undo that, ie set to "none" , POP on 110 and SMTP on 25.

Now if ssl is required, check that your server settings in Thunderbird are POP/143 and SMTP to 25; then go to the mail shield advanced settings again and check that POP is redirected to 995 and SMTP to 465 (ssl) or 587(TLS).

Guys in a general way on this forum, avoid advising someone who has issues with the mail shield to forget about it and jump to the browser interface or use a mail notifier just because it's easy, and because you can't help. These posts are useless, and I find more and more of them.

This being said, there's a tutorial on Avast main site about the mail shield, + tens of threads where the mail shield is related, read and browse :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:37:24 PM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply, which is resourceful.  But is there any way I can actually make Avast and Thunderbird compatible?

yes, read my post above ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
I don't specifically have a yahoo account, but BTInternet email is handled through Yahoo and avast detects that and sets the SSL accounts up to handle the connection to the yahoo email server (see image), not that it has SMTP Port 465 and SSL as the setting.

Ensure that all email accounts in thunderbird are set in the SMTP section not to Use SSL.

Verizon is another thing again as even though it says it doesn't use SSL, it appears to do so and I believe it does that on SMTP port 25, which is a bit against the grain as this should be for non-ssl connections.

So in the avast mail shield SSL accounts settings for the Verizon you may have to set it to SMTP port 25, SSL/TLS probably TLS though.

It might help if you post a screen shot, like this of your avast SSL account settings.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:05:09 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Traveler

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 03:10:58 AM »
Thanks for suggestions, but no luck yet.  Dumb question: I have screenshots, but how do I get them into a message?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
When you reply to a post, there is an additional options option, here you can attach .png, .jpg and .gif, preferable as it is a smaller file size and shows enough detail/quality.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Traveler

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »
OK, thanks.  As suggested, here are my MailShield SSL Accounts and my Thunderbird Server Settings pages.  Changes I make to the yahoo.verizon.net line of Mailshield make no difference.  Thunderbird can't reach the server if I don't have SSL/TLS set in the Thunderbird Server Settings, so I have no flexibility there (except the port number).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 04:18:57 AM »
Well you have the TBird Connection security set to SSL/TLS and that won't work, it has to be None. Avast can't scan and handle the connection if that is encrypted. Now I don't know if it will let you change the SSL/TLS setting if you have the POP3 port 995, so try changing the yahoo.verizon.net setting to POP3 port 110 connection security None.

Now try setting the avast SSL accounts of the yahoo.verizon.net to POP3 port 995 and SSL.

Traveler

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
I have changed the TB Connection Security to None.  The Authentication Method then changes to Password transmitted insecurely.  The Port number defaults to 110 but I can change it to whatever I want.
The Avasts SSL Accounts page is the same as before: POP3 995 SSL.
I get no error messages but also no e-mails to yahoo.verizon.net even when I send them to myself from the other
TB account.  Is there any chance that my online Yahoo account is draining them all off?  All the messages I send myself on TB show up there.  Is it possible that Yahoo is making them inaccessible to TB?
Thanks for your advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
I have changed the TB Connection Security to None.  The Authentication Method then changes to Password transmitted insecurely.  The Port number defaults to 110 but I can change it to whatever I want.

The Avasts SSL Accounts page is the same as before: POP3 995 SSL.
I get no error messages but also no e-mails to yahoo.verizon.net even when I send them to myself from the other

TB account.  Is there any chance that my online Yahoo account is draining them all off?  All the messages I send myself on TB show up there.  Is it possible that Yahoo is making them inaccessible to TB?
Thanks for your advice.

Sorry I'm confused now, easily done - Your image shows yahoo.verizon.net POP3 port 110 and None, I suggested you "try setting the avast SSL accounts of the yahoo.verizon.net to POP3 port 995 and SSL."

So which account are we talking about and is your image correct according to your avast SSL account settings now ?

Please post the full text of any email failure notice.

Traveler

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
OK, these are the new images.  I have changed the yahoo.verizon.net line Avast SSL accounts to POP3 995 SSL, as you suggested.  I have also changed the TB Server Settings to Connection Security None.  In TB Server Settings I have the port set to 995.  The default value is 110, but I get the same result (i.e., no e-mail) either way.

I am still working in the yahoo.verizon.net account, which is where I'm having the problem.  Perhaps I confused the issue by bringing up other accounts.  On TB I have a second account, yahoo.com, which is working.  I use it to send test messages to the TB verizon account to see if I am making progress.  (None yet.)  I also have a Yahoo web page on which I can read e-mail from both accounts (verizon.yahoo.net and yahoo.com) without using TB.  The test messages I send from one TB account to the other show up on the Yahoo Web page mail but not in the TB yahoo.verizon.net acct.

Is that confusing?  I suppose it is.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
@@@@
Well you really have to try the setup as I have suggested in both thunderbird and the avast SSL accounts for verizon.yahoo.net at the same time:
Tbird: POP3 port 110 connection security None.
avast SSL accounts: POP3 port 995 and SSL

Now that should in theory work and you should be able to download your verizon email (POP3)

####
I have a BTinternet emai account (amongst my others), yet there is no entry for this in the avast SSL accounts, this is because Yahoo handles all of the email for BTinternet, I don't know if this is the same for Verizon.

~~~~
So I don't know if you even need the verizon.yahoo.net entry in the avast SSL accounts as the sending and collection of that mail would go through the Yahoo mail and it is this which is reflected in the avast SSL accounts settings. If the above @@@@ settings when set at the same time doesn't work you could try deleting the entry for verizon.yahoo.net (reboot and see if avast resets it or not) and see if that works.