Author Topic: Virus detected, again......  (Read 54099 times)

AKatRT

Re: Virus detected, again......
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
'Bug' you on more (last) thing please. Re your answer to my question on maintenance and getting rid of temp files, your answer was "Regular maintenance would include emptying the temporary files regularly using either CC or TFC". I have on my pc an FTC by Oldtimer. Not sure where I get the CC option from - can you help me with that still please? Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
Here are a few suggestions on regular maintenance in addition to the ones given to you already to keep you and your machine safer in the future:

1.   Keep your definitions up to date for both Avast and MBAM. 
2.   Keep all your shields on with Avast.
3.   Update MBAM prior to scanning, then do Quick scans.
4.   Keep your MS/Windows Updates current.
5.   Add security related Add-on’s to your browsers for safer browsing.  See my Signature as an example.
6.   Use common sense when browsing and do not go to risky sites.
7.   When downloading software, read what you are clicking and do not download adware toolbars which are commonly opted in; look before you click or do a Custom install to avoid putting unwanted toolbars on your machine that lead to spyware tracking or adware.
8.   Check to see that your software is up to date with the free Secunia Software Inspector http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ since software is changing all the time.  This site gives you the vendor's direct download link making it easy to upgrade your software.  Many of us here scan our machines weekly.
9.    Use CCleaner (CC) after closing your browser regularly.  You can also use TFC as needed (depends on your Internet usage - perhaps weekly, or if suspected of malware) in addition to CC.

Let us know if you have any other additional questions.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
Not sure where I get the CC option from - can you help me with that still please? Thanks.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim/downloadfile
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:04:42 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »
Maybe the OP meant the CC build option...http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.  I suggest the Slim Version with NO toolbars - scroll down to the bottom of the page.

AKatRT

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
Thank you all very much!!! Appreciate!

SafeSurf

« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »
No problem.  Let us know if you have any other questions.  Stay safe.  :D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
Maybe the OP meant the CC build option...http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.  I suggest the Slim Version with NO toolbars - scroll down to the bottom of the page.

+1 for the slim version, tried to post a direct link, but this doesn't work. :-\

Thank you all very much!!! Appreciate!

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
What they said  ;D

AKatRT

« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
Appreciate all the great support and interest. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2011, 10:10:33 PM »
Keeps us off the streets and out of the pubs

AKatRT

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:57 PM »
Hope not......I would feel bad. Take care (don't skip the pubs).

AKatRT

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
And again the machine wins....screen locks up and / or garbled screen (no unstable screen though). Perhaps something I have to live with. But if any ideas still out there, please let me know. Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
Well I didn't go to the pub, so you're stuck with me again.  Is the screen issue the only problem you are having now?  Otherwise it is running quicker and no other problems?

Edit:  I have notified Essexboy to return to this thread when he gets to the forum.  In the meantime, could you please answer the question above when you get a chance.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:12:49 AM by SafeSurf »

AKatRT

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
Admire your patience and resilience. Yes, screen freezing and / or garbled is only problem I have. Speed is good after I ran the temp file cleaner again. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
'Tis probably a video problem - did we update your Video driver, and is the monitor connected properly and not loose