Author Topic: Windows XP Pro Password Help  (Read 11995 times)

conazus

Windows XP Pro Password Help
« on: October 11, 2004, 10:01:37 PM »
Help help help    :'(

My fiance' uses Win XP Pro  (SP2) on his laptop for work.   It IS on a domain.      I don't have a lot of XP experience so Im coming to you guys for help  :)

TOday when he booted up its telling him his Windows Password is going to expire in 12 days.    Ive looked high and low and I cannot find where  (if there is a place)  to change this so that he does not have to keep changing his password.    

pleassssssse  help   lol

connie

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Windows XP Pro Password Help
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:27:44 PM »
control panel > user accounts to change the password

start > run > gpedit.msc to change the group/user policies on a XP system, but be carefull. Changes made there can be very powerfull !!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 10:28:50 PM by Eddy »

conazus

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:53:20 PM »
control panel > user accounts to change the password

we don't want to have to keep changing the password though.     Is that something with XP that we cannot avoid?

start > run > gpedit.msc to change the group/user policies on a XP system, but be carefull. Changes made there can be very powerfull !!

yes,  ive already discovered how powerful they can be... hense the reason i came to you guys for help   :)    I guess what Im asking is this:     Are passwords expiring something that is a part of XP that you cannot get around?    OR...    can that be changed someplace by using gpedit.msc as you mentioned above?    

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 10:58:55 PM »
You can change the password policy with gpedit.msc

Also XP's build in help and support tells you how to do so.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 11:10:58 PM »
As Eddy said you can change things with gpedit, I think that the default number of days is 90 before windows warns/suggests you should change your password. I'm not sure if you don't change it I don't know if it blocks access or is just a nag screen.

So it is possible to increase the number, strangely enough, if you set it to 0 (zero), it never askes you again.

But as has been said, it can seriously ruin your day.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

conazus

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 11:15:07 PM »
Eddy,   For some reason I couldnt find it in the help/support section   ::) but given I was trying to help him and let him back to do his work,  I probably didnt dig deep enough.  THank you for giving me just enough to lead me in the right direction  :)   I kinda prefer it that way...   I learn more.

David...  yeppers..    he has twice now fouled things up and now realizes that its much easier to  "break"   XP then it was 98   lol      

So that Im understanding correctly...  before I came back to read again here I figured I would change it to 0 ...    doing ONLY that will be safe.. correct?    I'll admit to being abit afraid of XP  where Ill do anything with 98 and KNOW I can correct it.

conazus

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 11:26:22 PM »
okay  groan...  I logged in as Administrator..   used GPEdit.. found the place to change it and it is greyed out so I can't ??? ??? ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 11:33:29 PM »
Are you sure you are logged in as administrator and not as user with admin rights? These are namely two different things. Look HERE to see how to login as administrator.

And HERE is a good start to learn about gpedit.

conazus

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 11:38:25 PM »
Are you sure you are logged in as administrator and not as user with admin rights? These are namely two different things. Look HERE to see how to login as administrator.

And HERE is a good start to learn about gpedit.

Eddy,  yes Im positive.   I logged in as Administrator and used the Admin password his company gave us for it.  

Ill take a look at the site.. I was going thru another one at MIcrosoft and came back here for a sec.. thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 12:05:51 AM »
You can check Control Panel > Administrative Tools >  Local Security Policy and double click on the entry you would like to change. See image
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

conazus

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 12:19:36 AM »
David,  before seeing your message above I found another way , that hopefully will not mess up something else   ..   and was able to tell it  "password never expires"  for his login name.      Rebooted and the annoying message went away.

conazus

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 12:22:48 AM »
David.. for kicks I just logged in as Administrator once again.. and went in where you just showed me and it will NOT allow me to change those settings.. either there nor in Gpedit.

The change I made appears to be working ....   so far   :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 01:36:31 PM »
Weird or what, I would have thought as the administrator you would have been able to do it from Administrative Tools.

Where was this other place that you mentioned you were able to make the changes?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 01:37:01 PM by DavidR »

nave

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 01:48:27 PM »
This used to happen to me aswell damn annoying, i think if u dont set an password while installing xp you get this or something.

conazus

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:55:07 AM »
Weird or what, I would have thought as the administrator you would have been able to do it from Administrative Tools.

Where was this other place that you mentioned you were able to make the changes?

David..    He has taken the laptop with him on a business trip, and as our two systems here in the house have Win98 SE on them,  I cannot look to tell you at the moment.    My knowledge of XP is pretty weak  *sigh*  so I cannot remember exactly where but it was in Control Panel in Users I believe and after meandering around I managed to find a place where I was able to check a box starting  "password never expires" .     When he returns I'll look again on his laptop and let you know...