Author Topic: XP Antispyware 2012 not detected  (Read 2412 times)

ozzymud

XP Antispyware 2012 not detected
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
I just fought XP Antispyware on my brothers computer, Avast was finding nothing. I ran the renamed exe past Jotti.org... results here:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/6c7cc8d5324fd34eff7cb396e698187b64eab8ce

I don't fault Avast for not finding this, only 2 softwares(1 engine) find it as of Thu 23 Jun 2011 04:22:40... Ikarus and Emsisift(they use Ikurus' engine)

Wierd thing is, when I got home after cleaning his PC, I went to my Avast and into virus vault... in there I could see no way to submit a non detected file. While looking around, I viewed an entry that is a false positive and clicked it's submit button. In that dialog it let's you choose a different file, so I thought cool, there is a way to send my file... so i chose mine, entered a description and sent. It said it would be submitted during the next update.

So, I went ahead and clicked to update definitions now, wierd part is I seen the false positive file being sent instead of the one the submit dialog let me choose.

Anyhow, I resubmited the  same file but with an altered description and a link pointing to the renamed virus on my personal server...

NON EXE VIRUS!!! hxxp://www.conradshome.com/files/virus_psp.ex~ NON EXE VIRUS!!!

#1 - How to go about submitting a file that Avast don't detect?
#2 - Why does the vault submit let me choose a different file but still send the one I was viewing (this is just buggy)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: XP Antispyware 2012 not detected
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Send the sample/s to avast as a Undetected Malware:
Open the chest and right click in the Chest and select Add, navigate to where you have the sample and add it to the chest (see image). Once in the chest, right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update. Note: manually adding to the chest doesn't remove them from the original location, so they still have to be dealt with in that location.
Or
Send the sample to virus (at) avast (dot) com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and false positive/undetected malware in the subject.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ozzymud

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
Open the chest and right click in the Chest and select Add

Heh, thanks... seems so simple, wish there were a button to correspond to the right click menu, didn't realize "Add" was there... thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security