Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 93134 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
Well, one thing I learned is that if I ever see another promotion like this and will have to buy a new license at that time, I should find the same offer for US customers and buy from there paying in USD as that would save me A LOT of money. This trend of 1 EUR (or even 1GBP, LOL) = 1 USD is really getting on my nerves these days.

Yes the 1 to 1 parity equation across all currencies wears pretty thin after many, many years of this from all sorts of hardware/software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
How often should it present?  (we are worried it didn't show enough - it was a good offer, and it didn't give them too much time to decide). How often can we run a campaign like this? (some of you suggested 4 to 6 times a year).
Give an option for advanced users (maybe at avast ini file) to do not show any at all.
We have blamed a lot with Avira popups and toolbars, AVG offers...
We were proud that we did not have this here.

Thanks again for the great feedback. We're taking it seriously.
Seems I'm the lonely negative voice about it...
But if you're taking seriously, maybe you can:
1. Comment my personal opinions.
2. Fight against business use of avast free (very extended in my country and I'm sure all around the world).
3. Fight piracy more seriously.
4. Release other services (as you've did great with online backup, for instance).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »

2. Fight against business use of avast free (very extended in my country and I'm sure all around the world).

Important but really unrelated to this topic.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
Important but really unrelated to this topic.  :)
Related with the Vlk's answer about the need of revenue.

msgreyberry

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
I think the little pop up is perfectly okay :D You can close it at anytime, and it only appeared once, so it's not as if I care that much.

But my inital response was: "Why is the box YELLOW? Have I caught a virus? D:"

So yeah. Maybe next time use a different colour (like blue or purple or something) so people won't think it's false alarms.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:03:13 AM by bostonlover »

lord ami

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 11:32:57 PM »
For me that popup was great. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be shown. It has a very good offer for avast! Free AV users :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
Hi again,

we're considering sending out this specific popup (the $9.99 Summer promo) once more. There's a couple of reasons behind that, one of them being that many people may have seen the popup but didn't have enough time to read it and/or think about the offer (as the popup automatically disappeared in 20 seconds).

Would you find something like this acceptable?

Generally, I'd say the offer is really attractive and does deserve more exposure but of course, at the same time we don't want to irritate our users (like you). Again, it's all about the balance.

Plus, I'd say the toaster popup in avast is fairly unobtrusive (it doesn't steal the keyboard focus, doesn't generate any sounds and automatically disappears after a short while).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »

Yes, imo.
But (next time) consider to provide a related web-page to the offer, so we can send users there, if they should have missed the pop-up or need more time to think about it. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Go for it, if its only going to be something like once a month its fine, you guys do have to generate some income.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »
we're considering sending out this specific popup (the $9.99 Summer promo) once more. There's a couple of reasons behind that, one of them being that many people may have seen the popup but didn't have enough time to read it and/or think about the offer (as the popup automatically disappeared in 20 seconds).

Generally, I'd say the offer is really attractive and does deserve more exposure but of course, at the same time we don't want to irritate our users (like you). Again, it's all about the balance.

Plus, I'd say the toaster popup in avast is fairly unobtrusive (it doesn't steal the keyboard focus, doesn't generate any sounds and automatically disappears after a short while).

Honestly the more it is used the less well received it would be.

Even less so if the duration was somehow ignoring the 20 rule or a users changed settings, e.g. on mine I have it much less than 20 seconds and the only ones of any real duration is the alert and warning pop-up at 10 seconds.

So anyone who has lowered the default settings isn't going to have much time to see and recognise it for what it is, the first time I saw it I wondered what was wrong with this Orange pop-up as I thought it some sort of alert. I had to use the Show last pop-up to both read it and capture the image to report what had just happened in the forums.

Changing the colour to say light blue which doesn't have as frightening connotations (Red or Yellow/Orange), see image of my settings and note the coloured text for each type of pop-up. So should this pop-up not conform to that colour scheme. e.g. Blue as it is essentially an Info pop-up not a warning pop-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »
Well, I can't say I like advertising.  I use ad blockers in browsers, I have a DVR largely to skip TV commercials.  I never received a single ad about AIS when I upgraded last year, and such a thing turns me off from upgrading, rather than encouraging me. 

But....to be honest, I am painfully aware that I have a minority opinion on this.  Impulse buyers far outweigh people like me, a fact I am sure you are also aware of. 

The line you have to carefully tread is feeding this offer to impulse buyers without offending the people who most often word-of-mouth your product, computer savvy people who are often like me, generally anti-ad types who want to make their own decisions on their own time, not be solicited.  Where the happy medium is there, I can't say, hard to gauge it until you go too far.

I can only recommend 2 things; 1: Make an opt-out in the options on a future program update for showing "special offers from Avast!", and 2: Change the pop-up color to something that doesn't imply caution, anything but yellow or red.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »
100% agree on the colour issue with Dave and Gargamel.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

ady4um

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Maybe next time use a different colour (like blue or purple or something) so people won't think it's false alarms.

Changing the colour to say light blue which doesn't have as frightening connotations (Red or Yellow/Orange), see image of my settings and note the coloured text for each type of pop-up. So should this pop-up not conform to that colour scheme. e.g. Blue as it is essentially an Info pop-up not a warning pop-up.

Currently:

blue -> info
green -> update
orange -> warning
red -> alert

The current "problem" is that the PROGRAM updates are blue, so changing the offers/advertisements from orange (warnings) to blue probably will lead to much more confusion.

So, using the current available colors, blue should be out of the question in relation to this type of notifications.

An additional color would mean an additional type of pop up, and currently there would be no way to even change/control the displayed time over the tray area.

Hi again,

"We" may accept it, but "We" are not exactly the "problem". Here (frequent) forum users may be more aware of the circumstances.

But millions of other (non forum) users might take a second advertisement (just a few days after the first) as Avast taking/going "the wrong way" (as per their "definition").

Even forum users not so happy about this type of notifications might understand and "tolerate" this one "extra" pop up, but "common" users around the world may not. On the contrary, they might take this second notification as a sign of the expected frequency for this type of advertisements.

An additional group of users are recent new Avast users. They are coming from other competitor's tools, or they just bought their computer and the tech guy recommended Avast Free edition. They are just starting to know it, and they might have the impression that Avast is advertising itself every few days. Or they may misinterpret this advertisement as "do I have to pay to use Avast?, I though Avast Free was really free!" (note that, with no relation to this topic, there are users asking this same question already, after the one-year-registration).

So, the "only" group of users that "may" welcome this second ad is the group of users regretting that they didn't see/read/understand the initial offer, AND they already know by now what was all about.

Births are not so easy. For the first time Avast used this type of promotion. Some adaptation (from both users and Avast Software) should be expected, maybe with some little mistakes during this trip.

IMHO, Avast should leave this first intent "as-is", even when here frequent forum users might "accept" it (including those that were already complaining). First impressions *are* important. So leave this first promotion "as it was".

Learn for the future. The second time should be better. Both Avast and frequent Avast forum users may already know what to expect. Less "trauma". Avast might receive "reviews" and comments about this during the following months. Reviews from users that accepted the offer. Reviews from specialized web sites and other forums. Use that info for the next promotion.

In the meantime, you will have time to evaluate also the technical details, like "color" and/or additional options/controls about this type of notifications. Should it be orange (warnings)? Or maybe the PROGRAM updates should not be blue? Or any other combination.

An additional future consideration could be, what about very new installations? Let's say a new user just installed Avast the same day a new promotion is available using notifications. This new user might be interested in the offer, or maybe the new user might receive the wrong impression: "I just installed Avast and I am already receiving ads?".

In any case, only Avast Software knows how the cake of users is "partitioned", and how much the potential new income from this second advertisement is "critical" so to postpone it or not.

BTW, respecting the "summer" part of the offer is also important, in the sense of PR. That means that users (like "our" Tech for example) will know to trust on Avast word, and that this type of tray notifications, "acceptable for now" or not, are not going to be the first step into more aggressive (not respectful) behaviours.

Well, the balance is key. Technically, the tray notification is unobtrusive, yes.

But Avast is giving its "word". An "offer" is an offer. "Summer" is for the summer. If Avast software is "braking" its word in the first round (about something so trivial), and being a "security arena" company, then nothing else matters.

Of course, this is only IMHO.