Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 93162 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
I don't mind putting up with some advertising, even popup, from avast -- but I do strongly agree with the others who have objected to its format and location, right where serious avast warnings (and update notifications) normally go.  For heaven's sake, AVAST, please at the very least move them to a totally different screen location ... and changing their size and/or shape so they don't resemble normal avast notices would be appreciated too.
How they could be confused? We are talking about a few notifications per year, with a (completely) different color, different text and so on. If you haven't seen the last tray notification clearly, you can right click over Avast icon and "Show last pop up message".

All Avast tray notifications (pop ups) are in the same area: the tray area. Making them to pop up in a different place may be worst, in the sense that it may bother even more (specially for those already complaining, even when nobody said that this is going to pop up every single hour/day/update/boot). In addition, making the different notifications to pop up in different areas might add to the programmers more problems than solutions, while we are talking about some infrequent "extra" non-core technical function.

People, this is 1 pop up, of a different color, with 20 (configurable) seconds. It may be better to have the possibility to skip them altogether, fine. But let's not turn this into a dramatic "life-or-death" situation.

We are already repeating the suggestions, complaints and what not. I sincerely think that we were clear enough: proportion, balance. If it turns to be really a complete "nagging" (which I believe it is NOT going to happen), then we can come back to the issue.

In the meantime, lets not open our umbrellas before it rains.
Totally agree and opening umbrellas before it rains is bad luck... ;D we don't need or want any.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 09:49:22 PM »
In the meantime, lets not open our umbrellas before it rains.

Yep, we don't like umbrellas here. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

kaniki

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
I'm a little confused and bewildered by all the complaints.
You get top notch protection and it's free. You get zero garbage
shoved down the throat when you install it
and you're complaining about
an infrequent sales pitch about getting the Pro or Internet Suit at a reduced price ???
Maybe it's time we all realized that you can't get something for nothing.
It's a fact we should all be aware of.  :)

you are so right.. and for all those that say avast better get the hint or they are going to loose people. well.. let me just say this. you get the add if you are using the free service. this means you are paying nothing. the company has to pay to make the program and updates, they have to pay for internet service to update all the people that use their free software.. and you are complaining about 1 add every few months that does not nag you?? You every try AVG.. try that one out and I will guarantee you will not complain about 1 add screen every few months.

as for the email part, it is too easy for it to be blocked by spam filters. as for putting it on the main page when you open the program.. well.. lets look at this realistically. just how often do you actually need to, or actually open the program?? as for me, I open it once every few months.. what.. there was a sale that ended last week.. why didnt I know about it.. oh yea.. its because they advertised it on the main GUI that I almost never look at.. so tell me, why is that the best place to put an add for a very short time sale?? most people only open the program when they need to do something specific. and dont forget, if you need to scan a folder, all you need to do is right click and there is a shortcut in there so you dont need to open the main GUI to scan something.

why is it that people get something for free and all they can do is complain about stupid things? come on people. they have an excellent product that costs them money to let you use it. so in a sense, they are paying you to use it.. and you are complaining about an advertisement for a sale that they have once every few months?? In my opinion, complain about something when you actually pay for it. dont use free software and complain because they do something that you dont like that is so insignificant..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:13 AM »
An occasion pop up is still better than a forced Ask Toolbar.
Will we stop before getting the Ask toolbar roadway? I'm not so sure anymore...
The best things in life are free.

LunarWolf

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 03:40:18 AM »
avast already got large revenue by licensing their engine to G data and not to mention all those generous discount that avast gives. As I said, if it becomes a daily affair, I will have nightmares. Once a month is still ok.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 04:40:25 AM »
Tech, stop being a worry wart...  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

gdiloren

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 05:27:58 AM »
Tech, stop being a worry wart...  ;D

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=133751
At the risk of being unpopular or K..., the Ask Toolbar is no worst than the Google Toolbar. I've tried it on one of my computers (it gives Webguard capabilities to Avira Personal) and it is no more what it used to be, associated with malware creators. Seems clean to me. :o
But lets stay without it in Avast :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:59:21 AM by gdiloren »

Offline jvidal

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
I have also seen this on a couple of my customer's computers, but not on mine...weird...
And, I must say I really don't like it.

com155

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
well,avast! found a new way to alert people about thier products...........

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on this "summer savings" campaign. As many of you recognized, this did represent a new way for us to share a special savings offer (although technically, it's not that new as v4.x (for those who still remember it) used the same system from time to time).

So far, the overall reception seems to be good, as many users have selected the offer. And given that we are in business and have to generate sales to keep delivering the best security software, this was a welcome response.   

Some of you asked if it will show once, or persist. For this campaign, it will show just once (let us know if you see it more than once). If this campaign made you worry we're heading the same route as AVG please rest assured that we're still very sensitive to being too aggressive in promoting our paid solutions; we seek a reasonable balance.

Someone also suggested we run some testing with non-forum users (the more casual users that represent the bulk of our customers) to discover what presentation is acceptable. Is use of the toaster prompt reasonable? How often should it present?  (we are worried it didn't show enough - it was a good offer, and it didn't give them too much time to decide). How often can we run a campaign like this? (some of you suggested 4 to 6 times a year).

Thanks again for the great feedback. We're taking it seriously.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

LunarWolf

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
@vlk, I think once a month is enough. At least avast user knows that there is a promotion every month.  ;D

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
@Vlk

Thanks for the informations and your statement.

Wish you and the team a nice weekend!  ;)

~SKY~
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
Someone also suggested we run some testing with non-forum users (the more casual users that represent the bulk of our customers) to discover what presentation is acceptable. Is use of the toaster prompt reasonable? How often should it present?  (we are worried it didn't show enough - it was a good offer, and it didn't give them too much time to decide). How often can we run a campaign like this? (some of you suggested 4 to 6 times a year).

Thanks again for the great feedback. We're taking it seriously.

Does this ad show based on geographical area? I haven't seen this advert, yet, on my pc.

ady4um

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »
... we seek a reasonable balance.
Thank you. As with almost anything, that's the key word.

How often can we run a campaign like this? (some of you suggested 4 to 6 times a year).

Although this may be a little OT (but not so much), the frequency of this type of notifications should consider many different aspects IMHO.

For example, you called this one "Summer Discount". So, there should be a real discount (which I guess it was), and the notification should not be repeated within the summer.

If you are going to call it "summer" but you give a second discount within 3 months, then users will know that the name means nothing, and they may eventually translate it to devalue the "discount" part too. Bad PR.

Another factor would be how many new potential buyers you got since the last offer. For example, if Avast has, say, 150 million users, and after 3 months you got 1 million new "potential new buyers" (just to give a random number), then that "may" be one (good or bad) parameter, whether to display a new offer or wait. Of course some "old" users that haven't bought the first offer (for several possible reasons) might want to receive a new discount available so to accept it the next time, but I would tend to think (read as "guess") that "new" users might be the main target as potential buyers of the offer, together with users that would like to renew their registration (and payment).

So, an "old" user that already saw an offer, say a month ago, may or may not be interested on seeing an additional offer this month. How many users that didn't take the offer last time will take it this time? How many users will say "another advertisement, yet again? I may have to change, to use some competitor's tool".

Obviously the offer itself (price) is another factor, and the ratio of actual new buyers is too.

I personally think that a few times a year should not bother (no "nag"), whatever the previous examples and conditions are. But that's me. Other users here are already expressing concerns and even complaints, even without knowing its frequency. OTOH, "some" of those already concerned or already complaining are also saying that a few times a year should be acceptable for them; while others are already saying that they have "zero tolerance" (again, without even really knowing about it).

Avast should evaluate (not necessarily from this Avast Forum) the adequate frequency so to balance how much those loyal users might not like this tray notifications but still not abandon ship (or not causing bad PR), and the need for the very well deserved income.

All this probably sounds obvious for the marketing guys in Avast Software. I just wanted to share a (possibly OT) comment, specially for those "with umbrellas already opened" :).

warlock

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
Well, one thing I learned is that if I ever see another promotion like this and will have to buy a new license at that time, I should find the same offer for US customers and buy from there paying in USD as that would save me A LOT of money. This trend of 1 EUR (or even 1GBP, LOL) = 1 USD is really getting on my nerves these days.