Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 93150 times)

LunarWolf

Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »
First of all, if you take a look at Panda Cloud, the only ad they have is in the main GUI and that too can be close. They don't do pop up. At least not yet. And from what I understand, Panda Cloud could be a potential competition to avast in the free market as their detection rates are almost the same. So as I said, avast better watch itself with the ads. Too much ads will cause avast to lose users and potential customers and user database.

Ways to improve :
1. Make sure the ad link in the ad is fully functional.

2. Ad notification should be blue or purple (I know avast does not have purple notification. But maybe in future version for ads.) Orange is like there is something which you need to look into.

3. Reduce the frequency of ad pop up.

Ven

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »
Some of you asked if it will show once, or persist. For this campaign, it will show just once (let us know if you see it more than once). If this campaign made you worry we're heading the same route as AVG please rest assured that we're still very sensitive to being too aggressive in promoting our paid solutions; we seek a reasonable balance.

After reading the entire thread, I've registered to throw in my two cents.

Long time user here. Last Thursday we recommended Avast! to a family member who was complaining about Norton nag screens - the next day we received the first Avast! advert. Thanks for that!  >:(  Twas hard enough to convince a know-it-all-no-nothing that a free product was better than their crappy nagging Norton pre-install.

I have always recommended Avast! in my many years of use (at least 6 years now) and some of those ppl have even purchased the pro product. So from free users you gain enthusiastic word of mouth and there ain't no better advertising than that -- not to mention the largest user base in which to expand your virus definition DB. Free users add value to the worth of your pro product.

Less free users --> less word of mouth --> less notifications to your virus DB --> less effective product --> less purchasers of your pro product.

You know this.

And the evidence is here - http://www.avast.com/en-au/free-antivirus-download#tab1

As to your assertion in the above quote that "for this campaign, it will show just once", well I'm here to let you know it's now appeared twice in one week (at least three times actually, because the first time we did a reinstall thinking our Avast had been compromised).

I then note that later in this thread you say "we're considering sending out this specific popup (the $9.99 Summer promo) once more." - received that 2nd one (technically 3rd!) today. So there you go, didnt take you long to change your mind from "just once" to just once more, yeh? How many more? Can we "rest assured" that you have used up 2 out of your 4/6 per year already?  ???

Hubby also says he has received the promo more than the 3 times in the past week and is wondering if the feature is being exploited, possibly remotely, since you assert the promo has only been sent twice.

I concur with others ... this would not have been so bad if it werent orange, the warning colour of the software -- fine if a person is computer savvy and may finally decide to check authenticity on the forums, not so great for noobs and first-timers. At the very least use the info popup colour, blue. After all it is info, not a warning or alert. Also consider an opt-out check box.

I'd hazard a guess there are many reading this forum who wont bother to register and voice their opinion, and they will now identify little difference between Avast! and some other ad-supported product. And there will be several more who wont visit these forums at all.

mantra

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2011, 06:44:17 AM »
today i get the second pop up about summer discount   €9.99
i guess there is a mistake , i mean €10 (9.99) so cheap ??

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2011, 07:17:42 AM »
today i get the second pop up about summer discount   €9.99
...yes, and you can see the offer in the GUI of the Free, too.
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

norel

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »
I've received two within the last three or four days.

I don't mind it. I don't even mind the slider. But if they start getting too frequent that's when they fall into the "nag" category and will totally suck. Once a month seems fine to me. Too often and people will simply tune them out anyway.

I like the idea of a link that says "Learn More" or something. When all there is is a "Buy Now" link you'll have people like VLK was describing who don't want to buy now but who will later wish they knew where to go for more info.  :)

Dch48

« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2011, 07:49:49 AM »
I still have only seen it the one time but even if it does pop up again, I really don't care. Nobody really has a valid reason to be upset about this. Talk about mountains from molehills !  It is not adware, it is not anything but a notice of a special deal if you choose to avail yourself of it.

malta

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30:53 AM »
One thing I have noticed reading this thread is that the price seems to be 9.99 variously in pounds, euros and dollars, which is weird.

The pop-ups I have had said $9.99, others have reported €9.99 and others £9.99. Each of these things are not like the others....just sayin'!

Offline catinahat

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »
I am a only new Avast! user so I hope it's OK to throw my two cents in: This pop up doesn't bother me. Compared to the pop-ups with other software I've used, it's tiny and pretty unobtrusive. If it were frequent (i.e. more than weekly) and it was simply to announce the premium version exists (we all know that already), I'd be more annoyed I think, but this has only shown up twice in two weeks and it's about a special deal. I find that reasonable, especially as this is FREE software, and if I was considering upgrading soon it would be good to know that now would be an excellent time.

I understand that this is a business and one needs eat, and also the concept of a non-existant economy, but I *reallly* hope that  Avast! don't go the way of Avira. I am a former Avira user and learned that the toolbar would be an optional installation with SP2 in exchange for the webguard module. I did a little research on the Ask toolbar and decided I didn't want it within ten feet of any machine of mine (for many reasons). I switched to Avast! after discovering that ASK files were installed on my computer even though I declined the toolbar when SP2 was released (there was no option to actually decline, just install now or later), and those said ASK files were not inactive.  A component of the ASK files was dialling home several times a day, and the ASK related files were protected and unable to be deleted. I install AV/AS software to protect myself from adware, not acquire it, so may trust in Avira has gone. There's more to the story - the way Avira went about it and how they responded to concerned users left a bad taste in my mouth, and the update was full of bugs and I had all sorts of problems with it, but this isn't the place to get into all that....

I respect that others are bothered by the pop up, but for me, it's no biggie... especially after the above dramas!

Mayflower

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »

I don't mind it. I don't even mind the slider. But if they start getting too frequent that's when they fall into the "nag" category and will totally suck. Once a month seems fine to me. Too often and people will simply tune them out anyway.

I like the idea of a link that says "Learn More" or something. When all there is is a "Buy Now" link you'll have people like VLK was describing who don't want to buy now but who will later wish they knew where to go for more info.  :)

I agree.

But I am afraid it's all about selling a product. You simply don't sell by "Learn More".

Even If I would like to learn more before I buy.  :)

Tetsuo

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
Yesterday evening I received a second pop-up. The first time I thought it was only a "one-time" pop-up, but obviously I was wrong.

I've been using Avast! for several years now - since v.3 as far as I can recall - so I'm not a new user. I don't like these unwanted advertising pop-ups in any way.

All the "old" users of Avast! that I know dislike them and they are currently talking about them and how they will eventually evolve in the near future.

As for security software: reputation quickly changes (e.g. Avira). Please, keep this in mind.

Advertising via pop-ups is a very, very bad idea when experienced users have other free remarkable software to turn to (MSE, Panda...), IMHO.

Kindest regards,
T.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:29:48 PM by Tetsuo »

street_lethal

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
I received another cheesy pop-ad this morning. So is this going to be the norm for now on? Expect a pop-up ad once or more a week?

nord

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »
Just to add, that as you can change how long the popup is on, I have changed the update popup time to 2 seconds. Is this optimal, no, but it is better.

presario

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
Just to add, that as you can change how long the popup is on, I have changed the update popup time to 2 seconds. Is this optimal, no, but it is better.
Thanks for the info!

Ref: let us know if you see it more than once.
I just received my second pop-up in less than 3 days (Avast Free Version).  Obviously I'd rather not have pop-ups, but it's no big deal for Free Software (within reason).  I've been using Avast Free for years and will continue to do so because in my opinion it's the best there is.

Offline rob24

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
today i get the second pop up about summer discount   €9.99
...yes, and you can see the offer in the GUI of the Free, too.

Ah yes and that appears correct too, with the discount.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

msgreyberry

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
Actually, at first, I wasn't happy with the second ad, but now it seems ok (i changed the pop up time to 5 seconds or so) so it's better.

But AVAST! saves itself by being a great antivirus ^^