Author Topic: Complete Avast lock up when filling out "Virus Alerts" email feature  (Read 8354 times)

DrAndre

I filled out the "Virus Alerts" section of Avast (Free Edition), put in my email information and clicked test and Avast totally locked up. I tried again and the exact same thing happened, I had to use task manager to end the Avast processes and manually restart Avast by using the start menu shortcut. Very worrying. I attached a screenshot of it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:41:41 PM by DrAndre »

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Complete Avast lock up when filling out "Virus Alerts" email feature
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:56:49 PM by giogio »
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
In all honesty, in over 7 years of using avast, I have never manager to get this to work once in all the times I tried it. But I never had a freeze when testing to try and get it to work.

I don't know how you managed to get the Task Manager to end the avast Processes as the self-defence module should have intervened. So I would say there is something else in the mix.

Personally had that happened, I would just have rebooted.

I have tried once again to get this to work, Set up the Alert Target (image1), SMTP Settings, including server authentication. and clicked Test, no lockup and avast still running, bottom part of image1. I got that to work and the test email was sent and received image2. I have pretty much got that far on every test that I have done in the past.

So next using the eicar test file to force an alert (image3), this should have triggered the email alert, this failed to send as it has on every other live test that I have done.

All I can say is that the test worked and my avast didn't lock up. I am using the latest beta, so no change their either, live virus alert email test failed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DrAndre

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »
I have the normal stable release fully updated. I'm guessing I didn't fill it out correctly (i didn't receive the test email) I just tried again with it everything left blank and it locked up again, turns out I don't even need to end it with task manager it crashes and shuts down completely by it's self. So from what your' saying DavidR this feature has never worked correctly? (but doesn't normally lock up either) I have no other issues on my computer and have no malware detected by avast or anything else.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
One of the key comments (IMO) of DavidR was to reboot once Avast already crashed, instead of simply starting it again. Since your latest post didn't mention it, I just wanted to reinforce it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
I have the normal stable release fully updated. I'm guessing I didn't fill it out correctly (i didn't receive the test email) I just tried again with it everything left blank and it locked up again, turns out I don't even need to end it with task manager it crashes and shuts down completely by it's self. So from what your' saying DavidR this feature has never worked correctly? (but doesn't normally lock up either) I have no other issues on my computer and have no malware detected by avast or anything else.

Generally I have no problem in setting it up and testing it in any version going back from avast 4.x through to 6.0.1279beta and it has never locked/crashed whilst trying to set it up. But I have never received a live email notification after a virus alert.

As I said I feel there is something else in the mix for it to lock up like that when trying to set it up.

- Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

- Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DrAndre

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
Yup I'll make sure to restart my windows next time it happens. I just downloaded the beta version and at 1st it didn't lock up Avast when using the "Virus Alerts" section but then I ticked the box saying "If the SMTP server requires authentication" box then "test" and it locked up completely, this time not crashing though, simply leaving windows unusable and needing to be restarted. I'm guessing I'm filling it out incorrectly but that really isn't the point, this is a massive stability and security issue in what should be the most stable and secure application on my computer (anti-virus). I found another thread reporting the same thing http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72623.0 I'm guessing it happens whenever it's incorrectly filled out. (Then again from what DavidR has said it simply doesn't work regardless) This has definitely made a huge dent in my confidence in Avast.

DrAndre

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
I haven't had any other anti-virus installed, this is a clean install (XP Professional SP3) as of yesterday. I'm guessing it's happening due to me incorrectly filling out the "Virus Alerts" section, but like I said that's not really the point. Incorrectly setting up something as simple as an email address shouldn't make something as important as an antivirus lock up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »
Yup I'll make sure to restart my windows next time it happens. I just downloaded the beta version and at 1st it didn't lock up Avast when using the "Virus Alerts" section but then I ticked the box saying "If the SMTP server requires authentication" box then "test" and it locked up completely, this time not crashing though, simply leaving windows unusable and needing to be restarted. I'm guessing I'm filling it out incorrectly but that really isn't the point, this is a massive stability and security issue in what should be the most stable and secure application on my computer (anti-virus). I found another thread reporting the same thing http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72623.0 I'm guessing it happens whenever it's incorrectly filled out. (Then again from what DavidR has said it simply doesn't work regardless) This has definitely made a huge dent in my confidence in Avast.

For your average home user do they really need this feature which is more a system administrator. Outside of the test I have done when others were trying it I can see no need for it on any of my systems.

As for confidence in avast, I have been using it for over 7 years and not a single real piece of malware has got on to my system, that would trigger this 'if it worked.' This has nothing to do with security and yes some might find it a nice feature. Personally I would rather see it removed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »
I haven't had any other anti-virus installed, this is a clean install (XP Professional SP3) as of yesterday. I'm guessing it's happening due to me incorrectly filling out the "Virus Alerts" section, but like I said that's not really the point. Incorrectly setting up something as simple as an email address shouldn't make something as important as an antivirus lock up.

Well essentially you have to fill inn the SMTP details and authentication before entering the Alert Target or ever clicking Test. Now I don't know if you did that or not, I also don't know what ports are used as I don't know how it would handle SSL ports, given the new Mail Shield rerouteing email through its proxy. Which I guess would fail unless it was a non-ssl port (25).

DrAndre

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »

DrAndre

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »

For your average home user do they really need this feature which is more a system administrator. Outside of the test I have done when others were trying it I can see no need for it on any of my systems.

As for confidence in avast, I have been using it for over 7 years and not a single real piece of malware has got on to my system, that would trigger this 'if it worked.' This has nothing to do with security and yes some might find it a nice feature. Personally I would rather see it removed.

I would absolutely like to see it removed too, not because it's not useful but because while it causes these lock ups it is an undeniable stability and security risk. The fact this feature doesn't work is disappointing and looks unprofessional, but the lock ups are without a doubt a security issue. You don't agree with that?

DrAndre

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
Just to confirm, I did it again and when the settings menu first locks up you can simply click the close button on the window bar then end task and avast will close completely, bypassing it's self protection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
I'm at a loss as to what is going on in your system as I haven't been able to replicate it and I too have XP Pro SP3.

The self protection is only there to prevent actual modification/deletion of avast files/processes, etc. it won't stop a lockup/crash condition. That is what surprised me about your being able to end the process in task manager.

Trying to do the same for avastUI.exe fails.

DrAndre

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »
I entered 995 as the SMTP port (which gmail uses) I received a message about it being encrypted, I think that's when the 1st lock up happened, perhaps that's what caused the lock up.