Author Topic: Word 2007 damaged by cleaning of the false threat Win32:Kelihos-S  (Read 3603 times)

browns87

Word 2007 damaged by cleaning of the false threat Win32:Kelihos-S
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:48 AM »
Hello,
I have recently read that the Kelihos-S threat is a false threat, however it appears that my attempts to remove the threats from my system have somehow damaged a very important file (my 95% complete dissertation).   The file is a Microsoft Word file with about 130 images and was last saved on Aug 21.  That same day, I performed a scan which produced warnings of the Kelihos-S trojan.  I moved everything labeled with this threat to the virus chest (none of which was my dissertation), and deleted a few backup files (not related to the dissertation) from the backup disk.  One of the problems that popped up with the Kelihos-S "threat" was "Process 4136 [winword.exe,memory block 0x0000000000350000, block size 1048576".  There was no action that I could take regarding this memory block, and the action and result columns are empty for this item.  I had not opened the file since Aug 21, and when I opened the dissertation file today, half of the images are blank.  I assume that these images were originally saved as "Enhanced metafiles" or "Windows metafiles" as this is how I saved most of the images.  When I right click on the image, the "Edit Image" option is greyed out and inaccessible.   These images remain blank in all available views except in fullscreen reading view, in which the images are displayed perfectly.  If I copy a blank image and insert it into a paint file, the original image shows up perfectly, but does not show up if I paste it into a new word file.  Can any kind soul offer a solution on how to restore Word 2007's previous functionality?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Word 2007 damaged by cleaning of the false threat Win32:Kelihos-S
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
1 Restore from Virus Chest

2 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/diagnose-and-repair-crashing-office-programs-by-using-office-diagnostics-HA001234076.aspx

3 System restore
Hm...do you need to fix Microsoft word 2007 only ???
If it is only then run the setup again and choose repair. It will be fixed!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:16:29 PM »
One of the problems that popped up with the Kelihos-S "threat" was "Process 4136 [winword.exe,memory block 0x0000000000350000, block size 1048576".
do NOT use the "scan memory" setting if you are doing a custom scan, as this often give some strange scan result

use the default quick/full scan with default settings

There was no action that I could take regarding this memory block, and the action and result columns are empty for this item.
BC it is a process and not a file that can be moved/deleted

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
@browns87,

Whatever you do, whatever you repair or run or download, I would recommend first doing a backup of the doc itself (and any other related file, including pictures, graphs...).

If the repair/reinstall, or whichever way you use to solve the problem, works, and you can use your doc, then the backup can be deleted. If anything happens to the doc during the repair, you would still have the older doc as backup to try a different method.

Tgell

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
If you have system restore active and Windows 7 see if you can use previous version. Right click the file if possible and select properties. Click the Previous version tab.

browns87

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
Hello all,

Thank you all for all the useful input.  Performing a system restore worked like a charm.  I am indebted to you all, and will prey for each and every one of you. Just let me know what victims you need me to prey upon ;)

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
TAX MAN & GOVERMENT TO START WITH.

You need to start backing up your Data, if you have such importent files.

External hard drives are so cheap now.