Author Topic: A little research of Avast Realtime Shields by Me!  (Read 7375 times)

naren17

A little research of Avast Realtime Shields by Me!
« on: September 09, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »
I did a little research on Avast Realtime shields, FileShield, WebShield & NetworkShield with 100 zeroday malware links from various malware downloadable sites like MDL, malwareblacklist, malc0de, etc.

I found out that

FileShield & WebShield has same protection, NetworkShield has different protection i.e

I copied all the links in notepad in 2 category, links blocked by WebShield & links blocked by NetworkShield.

I observed that all the malware blocked by WebShield were also blocked by FileShield. Not a single miss by FileShield.

All the malware blocked by NetworkShield were not blocked by FileShield. FileShield missed many blocked by NetworkShield.

My conclusion is that

WebShield, IMShield, MailShield & ScriptShield has the same protection as FileShield.

The only advantage of the shields are they can detect a malware before it reaches the FileShield & with different shield you can have different protection like default setting for FileShield & high setting for WebShield, etc. Otherwise I find the protection same.

So I am running Avast with FileShield, NetworkShield & Behaviour Shield.

This is just my observation. So if I am wrong or missing something, plzz correct me or guide me.

Thanxx
Naren

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A little research of Avast Realtime Shields by Me!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
Sorry, but the web shield can detect hacked/exploited sites with injected scripts, etc. etc. without even needing to know what the payload might be/do. The file system shield can't do that.

You only need to view the viruses and worms forum to see this in action, the web shield IMHO is probably the most important pro-active shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »
 ;D some poeple shouldn't tinker with thing's they know nothing about  ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
Yes, you are wrong, for many reasons - some of which might be hard to explain :)

You are right that the scanning of WebShield & FileSystem shield is very similar, but:
1. they have different settings of unpacked archives (which, in case of P2P and IM Shield actually works as an optimization - you can scan specific files (the ones downloaded by P2P or IM programs) with full unpacking, while keeping the rest of the system on default settings, which doesn't slow down your machine)
2. the FileSystem Shield doesn't scan all the files by default (and if you set it to do so, it will slow down your system a lot) - so it may actually not detect some files downloaded by your browser, even if we forget about archives and unpacking
3. if you have a vulnerable browser (or browser addon/plugin), the exploit / malicious code may be executed there before, or even without, being written to disk - i.e. the damage can be done before the FileSystem Shield has any chance to stop it.
4. some detections may be bound to a particular shield; I'm not saying there are many of them, so it's unlikely you'd meet them with 100 samples, but they exist
5. WebShield also acts as a provider of the file source (it can store the information about where the file was downloaded from) - which may be used later even by the FileSystem Shield. So, by disabling the WebShield you actually lower the detection of the FileSystem Shield (or behavior of the AutoSandbox).

naren17

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
;D some poeple shouldn't tinker with thing's they know nothing about  ;)

Its not like that buddy. People like me who think they are smart enough & show their smartness get a chance to learn something from their smartness & get even more smart :)

So thanxx for the info, knowledge frds & making me more smart.

By the way showing the smartness again, installed Avast with all the shields ;)

Regards
Naren

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:54:18 PM »
Yep it a good place to learn things around here, i just dont try anything till iv learn't it first though  ;)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
I think I should thank you narren17, I think I learned something new in this topic today :)

naren17

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »
Yep it a good place to learn things around here, i just dont try anything till iv learn't it first though  ;)

And I learn by trying things :)

Try to learn things by trying them & not after learning them coz the experience is amazing when learning things through mistakes, rather than learning things without mistakes. This way you will have lots of amazing stories to share with your kids & grandkids ;)

Regards
Naren

naren17

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
I think I should thank you narren17, I think I learned something new in this topic today :)

You are most welcome to the GANG of learners :)

Regards
Naren

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »

Try to learn things by trying them & not after learning them coz the experience is amazing when learning things through mistakes, rather than learning things without mistakes. This way you will have lots of amazing stories to share with your kids & grandkids ;)

Regards
Naren
Im only talking about computers here and not lifes lessons as we all learn from our mistakes through life little journey's  :D

naren17

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

Regards
Naren
Im only talking about computers here and not lifes lessons as we all learn from our mistakes through life little journey's  :D

Well lifes little journey means every journey of life including Avast Forum & computers, wot say? :)

Regards
Naren

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
I would say that i dont know any kids that would give a two hoots about what amazing journey i might have been on and learnt on the forum, they would probably think i was on drugs if i bothered to try and tell them and then they would stick there heads back in there iphone  ;D

naren17

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
I dont think so & I am sure your kids will love listening your amazing experiences, whateever they will be, but do remember you should be not on drugs at the time when sharing your experiences with them, then they too will share their iphone with you :P

Regards
Naren

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »
Getting back to reality! i dont have any kids, i dont have any drugs and i dont have an iphone, i wonder which one i should have  8) lifes a bliss  :)

naren17

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
As I already mentioned to you learn things trying . So learn to have kids trying, learn to have drugs trying, learn to have iphone trying, but it all depends on you what you want to learn trying 8)

Regards
Naren