Author Topic: Autoupdate issue  (Read 4723 times)

AlphaUMi

Autoupdate issue
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
Hello, I have the latest version, and indeed this started happening after the last program update, never seen it before.

Basically, avast! doesn't check for virus definitions updates even if correctly configured to do so. I can see this from the "Last attempt to update:" in the info section, which is always stuck at the same day/date/time. Manual updates work well, as expected.

But what could be the problem? There is something I can try in order to solve this issue?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Autoupdate issue
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
Try a repair of avast by double clicking on avast in remove programs, when you get the popup scroll down to repair click and ok, when done reboot.
Let us know how it goes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
Hello, I have the latest version, and indeed this started happening after the last program update, never seen it before.

Basically, avast! doesn't check for virus definitions updates even if correctly configured to do so. I can see this from the "Last attempt to update:" in the info section, which is always stuck at the same day/date/time. Manual updates work well, as expected.

But what could be the problem? There is something I can try in order to solve this issue?

If the manual updates work, then try changing the update settings, avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings and change to Direct connection (no proxy).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:13:43 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

FigVam

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
Hi. I've got the same problem.
Try a repair of avast by double clicking on avast in remove programs, when you get the popup scroll down to repair click and ok, when done reboot.
Let us know how it goes.
It doesn't help, cause the interface is hanging after attempting even just stop all shields. In addition, avast started blocking windows update, active ftp connection, Skype and cFosSpeed menu.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:13:39 PM by FigVam »

FigVam

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
So, I used aswClear http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility to remove it. Everything work now.
Will try to use avast again.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
So, I used aswClear http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility to remove it. Everything work now.
Will try to use avast again.
I was just about to say your problem is not the same as the OP's and a clean install might help.

On another note you should also start your own topic rather than hijacking someone elses.

FigVam

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
On another note you should also start your own topic rather than hijacking someone elses.
Sorry about :-[ I didn't read carefully that manual update was OK. In my case clean install was helpful.

AlphaUMi

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
Sorry for the late response. I did perform a repair from Installed Applications. Stay tuned, please, to know what happens: you know, I have to wait to new update to be available in order to test this...

AlphaUMi

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:21 AM »
No luck, a waited a while, only manual installation works. What's happening? I would avoid to reinstall the whole thing..

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
@AlphaUMi,

Besides the clean install, have you followed DavidR's suggestion:

If the manual updates work, then try changing the update settings, avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings and change to Direct connection (no proxy).

Be aware that you can't just force database updates too frequently (they would fail anyway).

Also, remove firewall rules related to Avast so they can be re-created, and don't forget to reboot.

An additional question: Do you have normal access to internet using other tools (web browser, Windows updates, Email Clients...)?

AlphaUMi

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
@ady4um:

Well, I have always Direct connection enabled, and auto update is set to update every 120 min.
Obviously I can surf the internet normally.
COMODO is set to allow avast to connect to the internet (and in fact it connects to the server with manual update).

Please note that in the update info window (I don't know how it is called in English) the date/time of the last attempt to update is always stuck to the last time I manually performed an update: this means that avast even doesn't try to update automatically unless I click the button to perform a manual update.

Thank you for your interest. What can I do now, please?

Alpha.

AlphaUMi

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
Well, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled avast, and the issue seems to be gone. Although I had a BSOD with the BAD_POOL_HEADER few minutes later I reinstalled avast.

According to some information I found on the web, this error (it's the first time see it) means:

This error is generated when a driver or part of Windows does not allocate the memory properly, and can be caused by any of the below possibilities.

Bad hardware drivers.
    Issues with NTFS file system or disk write issues.
    Issue with software program, e.g. anti-virus scanner.

My issue seems to be resolved by reinstalling avast.