Author Topic: Avast update error + computer not working  (Read 19119 times)

lhui

Re: Avast update error + computer not working
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
Are you able to get to safe mode ? if so then open up computer and right click on C drive\properties\tools check drive for errors and tick both boxes then click start and you will then be asked to reboot, try that and let us know how it goes.
Safe mode does not work. No repair option. And system recoveries does not work.
I would normally refer this to essexboy now but he's away till the 6th of october so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can shed some light on this for you.
I hope someone replies soon. I can not wait for essexboy as I need my computer asap. Know any other forums that may help me?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
If you cant wait for someone here maybe ask in the virus and worms section of the forum with a link to this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0 or you can try http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:26:30 PM by craigb »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes

lhui

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
Even if it's not malware the team over there will be able to get you sorted and your system at least up and running, might also pay to include a link to this thread for them to follow up what has been going on with your system.

lhui

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
Turns out I am required to dowload something and I cant get pass the black screen.

DonZ63

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
Sounds like your bootloader is corrupted. If your OS is WIN 7, you can try the repair option from the installation CD. Do research this first before trying.

Is the screen totally black or are text messages being displayed once you attempt to boot into Windows? If messages are shown, write them down and post to this thread.

lhui

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
Sounds like your bootloader is corrupted. If your OS is WIN 7, you can try the repair option from the installation CD. Do research this first before trying.

Is the screen totally black or are text messages being displayed once you attempt to boot into Windows? If messages are shown, write them down and post to this thread.
Unfortunately, I do not havemy cd with me and a need a solution that can fix it asap because I require my computer for school.

It boots up as a normal comp butafter logo, it goes to black screen with no words but a mouse pointer.

DonZ63

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:58 PM »
What ver. of Windows do you have?

lhui

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
What ver. of Windows do you have?
Windows 7 home premium x64

DonZ63

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »
Are you sure Safe mode does not work? Tap the F8 key as the PC boots.

If you can get into Safe mode, then check your graphics drivers in Device Manager. Many black screens in Win 7 are causes by corrupted graphics drivers.

lhui

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
Safe mode doesnt work...

Goes after windows logo, it goes black screen.

DonZ63

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 01:52:41 AM »
Sounds to me your only option left is to try a repair from a WIN 7 Premium x64 installation disk. Try to see if someone has their disk at your school. Make sure you know your product key before doing a repair since it might ask for the product key.

lhui

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 02:28:24 AM »
Sounds to me your only option left is to try a repair from a WIN 7 Premium x64 installation disk. Try to see if someone has their disk at your school. Make sure you know your product key before doing a repair since it might ask for the product key.
I have the key. I will ask around. Would it be better to ask for upgrade or full install?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 06:15:13 AM »
If you using an upgrade disc i dont think there was a repair function with that, you need the full disc of the version that is already installed on your system or a system repair disc that hopefully you created when you first got your system.