Author Topic: Win7 BSOD with version 6.0.1289  (Read 4567 times)

jboyce

Win7 BSOD with version 6.0.1289
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:17:52 PM »
Greetings -

I have a Win7 laptop in my office that will not boot with Avast program version 6.0.1289.  The Windows program is completely up to date on this computer and no software or hardware changes have been made recently.  The only change that has occurred is the Avast program update to version 6.0.1289.  This laptop had never had a BSOD until the Avast program update was installed.  On power up the computer generates a BSOD prior to displaying the login screen.  We were able to eventually get it to boot in safe mode and uninstalled Avast.  Rebooting after Avast was uninstalled was back to normal.  I have 8 minidump files from the last two days that can be provided for debugging.  I am looking for a solution so that I can re-install Avast, and maintain a working laptop.

System Information:
Dell Latitude E6520 (June 2011)
Intel Core i5, 2.50 GHz
4 GB RAM

Jeff

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win7 BSOD with version 6.0.1289
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »
Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can add some information about the BSOD and the link for this topic in a readme.txt file, compress (zip) together the readme.txt and the Memory.dmp, rename it with a unique name.
Upload it to this anonymous write-only ftp server location: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

Disable Automatic Restart:
System Properties > Advanced > [Startup and Recovery]Settings
Remove the checkmark from "Automatically Restart" in the System Failure section.

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Free memory tester (Run it overnight): http://www.memtest86.com/
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
BSODs: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/descriptions-and-fixes-of-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-crash-errors/

Manual dump: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
More info: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html.
The best things in life are free.

jboyce

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
I have uploaded the minidump and description file you requested.  The file name is jboyce-Win7Minidump-092711.zip.

Jeff

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
I don't know what the problem is, and you would probably need an answer from an Avast Team member. But, anyway, if you want to try, here is one possibility:

Avast main GUI -> settings -> Troubleshooting -> "load avast service only after other system services".

In any case, please report back.

jboyce

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the pointer.  But since the computer became non-bootable with Avast installed, we had to uninstall it.  I am not going to re-install it right now unless I have something more concrete to go on that indicates that this change in the settings would address the issue.  In essence I would like to hear from the person analyzing the minidump files to understand the cause of the problem, then we can identify solutions that would directly address the cause.

Jeff

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:05:28 AM »
BSOD was caused by old aswsp.sys driver (6.0.999.0) - so the best way is to uninstall avast from safe mode and then reinstall 1289 build

jboyce

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »
That sounds reasonable, I will give it a try.

By the way, why would an older version of the aswsp.sys driver still be there.  I would assume that it would be replaced with the newest program update, if the program update includes a new driver.  Does the driver not necessarily get updated with a program update, even if there is a newer version compared to what is currently installed?

Jeff

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
The short answer is it shouldn't be there, the driver if it was changed would be included in the program update. But there really isn't any way to say for sure, if you had a hiccup during the program update then this file might not have been replaced.

So with the old file still in place there wouldn't be any missing file error, etc. to alert you. Though if you tried an avast repair from the add remove programs, an integrity check may have found this old file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
Did the update to 6.0.1289 finish without any problems, or is it possible that the bluescreen occurred at the end of it (before rebooting the computer)?

jboyce

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
This is my co-workers computer (I manage all the computer systems for our small office) and so I don't know when the actual update to 6.0.1289 occurred.  It would be nice if the Avast Interface (About Avast) would list the date when the last update of the program occurred (FEATURE REQUEST?), as that would help me in knowing exactly when the update occurred with respect to the timing of the first BSOD.  Most of our users, me included, don't pay attention to when the program updates occur as they are set to update automatically.  All I know is that this laptop has running without any problems since it was purchased in June of 2011.  The user was out of the office for a few days with it, then after returning to the office the problem began.  I suspect that the Avast program update occurred the morning of the first day they were back in the office.  The time stamp of the first minidump file is 11:22am, a few hours after work began that morning.  So it would be nice to be able to identify when the program update occurred.  That is probably not feasible for this system right now since I had to uninstall Avast in order to get the system stable to work with for the user.  I will probably re-instal Avast tomorrow and see if this clears up the problem.

Jeff

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
Reinstall should help (maybe even booting into safe mode and running "Repair" from Add/Remove Program / avast! Antivirus on the existing installation would help - though I'm not 100% if that works in safe mode).