The root cause for this issue is identified to be virus infections or presence of multiple security software in the computer.
The steps mentioned prior will help to fix the issue, however if it doesn't work, you may follow the below steps.
1. Remove all the security softwares from the computer, if there are any.. The best way to do that is to run the removal tool for the specific security software.
Example: If you have any McAfee products in the computer like McAfee Security Center then, need to run the removal tool for McAfee, which is MCPR2.exe.
(This will be available in https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe
(The removal tools are avalabe in the vendors' website.)
Make sure that Avast is also removed from from the computer either from control panel Add/Remove programs or using Avast Uninstall utility(http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
) in Safe mode. Uninstall using Utility in safe mode is recommended.
2. Once all the security softwares are removed, do a scan using Malwarebytes. (You can download Malwabytes from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe
(Once you are done with the scan make sure you remove Malwarebytes too)
If you have Windows XP, go to step 3. Else reboot the machine into safemode and go to step 4.
3. Take a back up of the registry. To do that, Click on Start -> Run or (Windows key + R) and type regedit. You will get Registry Editor window. Click on File-> Export and save the .reg file as regbackup.reg in Desktop.
4. Open www.vimalcr.notlong.com
and run the popup. Registry Crawler will get installed. Open Registry Crawler and click on Try It button.
5. Search for all the security softwares in the Text Box by typing the exact name and delete all the keys.
6. I hope you have the latest setup file for Avast Free. So run that. This time it would be fixed.
Still you are facing issue!! post reply.. We hope the issue is fixed. Have a wonderful day. Good Karma !