Author Topic: Does Anyone Experiencing Performance Degradation with Avast?  (Read 7940 times)

Offline MayuraDeSilva

Does Anyone Experiencing Performance Degradation with Avast?
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
Hi Fellows,

Around few weeks, I feel kinda nervous about avast. It takes more than enough time to execute an application sometimes. I don't know why this keeps happening around last few weeks and feels like its ONLY for ME. Once I had same problem with avast! IS 6.0.1203 and it was solved after applying a patch (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83543.msg680850) given by Asyn. But after upgrading to latest version, after few days same theory happens. Also lately I had experiences browsing degradation too. Now it's been solved anyway. Strange is sometimes after re-installing or restoring settings it seems working better. But after some time, again I have to wait longer to launch applications.

Is this because avast! has better tracking of file sources as VLK imposed on new version or a driver problem?. Is there any patch for this? or solution to try out?

Thanks in Advance :)

Cheers...

naren17

Re: Does Anyone Experiencing Performance Degradation with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
There's some prob here too. Sometimes the prob is there & sometimes everything runs smooth.

Slowdown till the database is updated. Sometimes slowdown for few more mintutes after the database update. Slowdown opening a folder with many .exe files. Slowdown when browsing a page which has videos or images, photos, etc, the scrolling is not smooth. Sometimes browser with few tabs open hangs for a while & then returns normal & sometimes it takes more time to get back to normal. Sometimes things just stuck dont know why? So quite a few slowdown & sometimes everything is smooth.

Currently running CIS 5.8 Suite & no probs at all.

I think for most probs WebShield is the culprit. Youtube videos also buffers a lot when Avast installed. 4MBPS Connection here. No prob with CIS installed. So currently running CIS Suite.

Win XP SP3 Fully Updated
Either Avast Free with Windows FW or CIS Suite
No other security software.

Thanxx
Naren

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »
I have no performance issues of any kind on Win7, Vista, and XP.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
No problems here either, XP Pro and win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:34:50 PM »
No problems here either, XP Pro and win7.
Me neither!

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
Oh Guys, so did you have any problem with avast! version 6.0.1203? However I had this problem with that version and Asyn provided me the solution (a patch)...

I think, If you didn't had that sort of a problem earlier, you guys on safe side...

Who can help me out as you think guys?

Cheers...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
The patch that was previously for 6.0.1203 is/should be incorporated into the latest avast release, 6.0.1289.

So all I can suggest that you do a clean reinstall of avast IS:
- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1289 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

If that doesn't resolve it, as the patch is incorporated into the latest release, there is something else in the mix.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Thanks for your instructions...

Cheers...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:34:32 PM by Mayura4Ever »

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:32:29 PM »
Hi DavidR,

NOW I'm following your instructions. Already uninstalled. Downloading AIS now :)

However after uninstallation (without AV), PC respond much faster than disabling real-time protection...

BTW does avast! has a conflict with Intel Application Accelerator or Internet Download Manager programs?

AND do you think using avast! FREE is better than AIS regarding to PERFORMANCE? (Just asking coz you're using avast! FREE)

Cheers...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:34:56 PM by Mayura4Ever »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Well had you read my instructions, you should have downloaded all of the tools first, before uninstalling as that prevents you going on-line with no protection and your digital trousers around your ankles.

I have never used the Intel Application Accelerator, so I don't know how it goes about its work, but there could well be extra processing effort required for that.

I honestly don't see how it would give you that much, as your system is pretty restricted CPU and RAM, If you can get it at a reasonable price an extra 1GB, would see more of an improvement than the Intel Application Accelerator I believe. And it is removing that additional program running consuming resources.

Internet download managers shouldn't be an issue.

I'm using the free version, and I don't benefit from any performance improvements, I still have to have a firewall and anti-spam, etc. It is just that they are three separate programs, so the avast suite combining them may well be lower on resources.

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:16:50 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I have followed your instructions and did a clean reinstall... Last time I have updated over beta version. But this time I didn't installed Mail shield, P2P shield with AIS. However I have uninstalled Intel Application Accelarator too. Now avast! working more smoother and I feel some improvement in performance too (when launching applications and browsing).

But let me have some time to evaluate the performance for next few days and see if it persists.

Really Appreciate Your Clean and Clear Instructions and Flexibility...

However (if you prefer) I would like if you can respond to my prior question about avast FREE... :)

Cheers...

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
Oh thanks for your explanation mate :) and yeah I think AIS better for me and love avast! Firewall. However you know it would better if I can add more RAMs, but currently I'm out of RAM slots... I started to use Intel Application Accelerator coz its designed for Pentium IV based Processors and when I have 256MB RAM.

Intel(R) Application Accelerator ~ Overview

The Intel(R) Application Accelerator is designed to improve performance of the storage sub-system and overall system performance.  This software delivers improved performance through several ingredient technologies (components). Certain components will be available only on Pentium(R) 4 processor-based systems running Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

However now its better to get rid of this and is nice to see avast running smoothly... And love the corporation of avast! community...

Have a Great Day... :)

Cheers...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
You're welcome.

Personally I think it a mistake to disable/uninstall the Mail Shield even if don't use an email program, but use web mail viewed through your browser. In fact I would suggest you leave it installed as it isn't using resources unless it is actually running and I would go further to suggest that you set the sensitivity to High. The reasoning for this is, if you have a trojan spambot (they have their own SMTP program), which has got past your defences, either undetected or hidden; then your first indication could be the alerts from the Mail Shield of this activity.

I don't have the P2P shield installed either, but I don't use any P2P application, so if you don't that isn't a problem.

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
Thanks for Your Suggestions Mate :) My avast! File Shield Sensitivity Level is Normal. And Now I'm having same problem after few hours. I rebooted my PC after the avast! definition update and now I'm experiencing the delay in launching applications and browsing.

Any further suggestions? May I try the FREE Antivirus on behalf?

Cheers...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
Well you can start by checking out the task manager and find what is using the CPU cycles.

Do some housekeeping and only have applications running that are essential, open when required and close when not needed as your system is somewhat low on resources. Though there are others with lower system specs than yours and we aren't seeing this.

In al honesty using the free isn't going to see much change unless you don't bother with a firewall and that is plain crazy.