Author Topic: Problems sending mail  (Read 5985 times)

Nightchill

Problems sending mail
« on: November 17, 2004, 07:01:08 AM »
System : XP SP1 using Outlook Express 6

I can receive but not send email when the internet mail provider is running. Recieved mail is scanned correctly. When the provider is stopped, mail can be sent. I have tested disabling the firewall (sygate), but this makes no difference.

Sending mail did not work for me under 4.1, but telling the provider not to scan outgoing mail (SMTP) let me work OK. Using 4.5 it does not matter if I tell it to scan outgoing mail or not.

Attached are the appropraiate lines from the log.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Problems sending mail
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:40:22 PM »
After a lot of posts, I can't see this is not a bug  :P
One computer of mine works, the other not... I did the same tests (firewall, disable scanning, etc.)  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:43:48 PM »
Nightchill, is it working if you disable the Outlook/Exchange provider?

Nightchill

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 01:54:50 PM »
Eddy,

The Outlook/Exchange provider is not running (as I only have outlook express). I only run four of the seven providers - I do not run the outlook/exchange, instant messaging or P2P shield. I also forgot to mention I am running the pro version.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:01:09 PM »
Does it your SMTP server require authorization? (Please check the Account settings in OE).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Nightchill

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 02:23:28 PM »
Vlk,

The SMTP server does not require authorization.
I have checked the OE account settings, and for outgoing mail server - the 'my server requires authentication' box is NOT checked.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:28:32 PM »
OK, so it's an open realy then? I'll try to send some email via this server then and see what happens...

Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 02:33:11 PM »
Quite strange. For me, the mail server doesn't seem to be open relay. This is the communication log.

220 smtp-2.paradise.net.nz ESMTP Postfix
HELO xphomepc
250 smtp-2.paradise.net.nz
MAIL FROM: <mbm@paradise.net.nz>
250 Ok
RCPT TO: <mbminnz@yahoo.com>
554 <mbminnz@yahoo.com>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 03:24:59 PM »
Does it your SMTP server require authorization? (Please check the Account settings in OE).

Vlk, mine, for sure, requieres authorization.
I have three servers. The one I'm connected (and the, no authorization needed) I can send and receive. One of the other which needs authentication, I can and other, the third, not...
Stranger than this, at other computer, I tried the same email, avast and firewall configurations. The third (the problematic one) can send and receive  :o
The best things in life are free.

Nightchill

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 08:44:03 AM »
I have played around with my OE settings : when the internet mail provider is not running I can send email if authentication required is checked (and details filled in) AND I can send if the authentication box is not checked.
When the internet provider is running I can not send email regardless of what my OE SMTP authentication settings are.

Offline REFT

• I'm a llama! Where did that come from?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 09:51:46 AM »
I am using Thunderbird 0.9 as my e-mail client and have just upgraded to 4.5.523 under WinXP SP2.  I am also having problems (that were not there under previous Avast version) sending e-mail.  Thunderbird reports that the Avast SMTP is saying that the SMTP server has not been set up.  Even when I go into avast right click -> program settings -> smtp and set up my smtp server (that had not been transferred from the previous version), I still get the same message.  I can send mail only by by-passing the avast scanner and sending direct to my ISP's smtp server.  When I send direct there is no problem.

A question - should the avast scanner be sent the smtp server information in the same way that it is sent the POP3 server information in this new version?  I'll check this and see if there is any difference and report back.

reft
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 10:22:00 AM by REFT »

Offline REFT

• I'm a llama! Where did that come from?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »
Avast is being sent the smtp information by TB as for previous version.

I get this message - but when I run the mail protection wizard it terminates saying there is no need to run it as it is protecting the mail automatically.