Author Topic: The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration...  (Read 88693 times)

Chindre

When I attempt to start avast I get an error stating, "This application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect..."

I saw two other posts about this, one fixed with a simple reboot and the other fixed by downloading visual c++ 2008 (both x86 and x64).  I have done both of these, and have reinstalled Avast free twice now and have no more ideas on how to fix it, please help.

I am attempting to run avast in windows 7 professional.

iyogisolutions1

Hi.

Please run a Windows Update and let us know whether it worked fine or not

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Please make sure you have also removed previous av's and any remnants by running the correct removal tools after a normal uninstall.

Removal tools for many av's can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Chindre

Windows updated.
Avast uninstalled in safe mode with the uninstall tool.
System rebooted, fresh Avast install.
Reboot again for good measure...

Problem still persists.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Windows updated.
Avast uninstalled in safe mode with the uninstall tool.
System rebooted, fresh Avast install.
Reboot again for good measure...

Problem still persists.
I ment making sure all aspects of other AV'S were removed, AV'S you have used in the past not avast.
Have you tried a repair of avast ? programs and features- double click avast and scroll down to repair and ok, reboot after running.

iyogisolutions1

Hi,

Try to follow the bellow steps

1) Download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package
2) Click on Save File and save it to the desktop
3) Double click on the downloaded file (vcredist_x86.exe)
4) Click on Run
5) Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation process
6) Try to start the Avast, if error message still persist then follow the below steps
7) Click on Start and then click on My Computer
8 ) Double click on Local Disk (C:), and then click on the Make a new folder in the left pane
9) Copy the file you downloaded into this folder
10)Click on Start and then click on All programs
11)Click on Accessories and then right click on CMD and then click on Run as Administrator
12)In Command prompt, type cd \ms and press Enter
13)Type vcred.msi and press Enter
14)Installer package will install
15)Delete c:\ms folder.

Try to open avast! GUI. If the issue still persists please let us know.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Hi,

Try to follow the bellow steps

1) Download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package
2) Click on Save File and save it to the desktop
3) Double click on the downloaded file (vcredist_x86.exe)
4) Click on Run
5) Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation process
6) Try to start the Avast, if error message still persist then follow the below steps
7) Click on Start and then click on My Computer
8 ) Double click on Local Disk (C:), and then click on the Make a new folder in the left pane
9) Copy the file you downloaded into this folder
10)Click on Start and then click on All programs
11)Click on Accessories and then right click on CMD and then click on Run as Administrator
12)In Command prompt, type cd \ms and press Enter
13)Type vcred.msi and press Enter
14)Installer package will install
15)Delete c:\ms folder.

Try to open avast! GUI. If the issue still persists please let us know.

If you read the OP's first post it is stated the Visual C package has already been reinstalled.

Chindre

I recently did a reformat (last month) so avast was the only AV I had on this computer.  I just tried the repair and reboot, still have the same problem.

I also tried iyogisolution's cmd method of accessing the visual c++ 2008 package just because I didn't know if that would change it's install somehow.

Anyway, neither worked still getting the same message.

DonZ63

This error can be caused by many things: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/error-the-application-has-failed-to-start-because/df019c0d-746e-42d0-ad68-465e18e3f3ef.

Did you install the latest SP1 version of Visual++ 2008 runtime redistributable? Note the OS is looking for the redistributable, not all of Visual++ 2008.

Nesivos

Uninstall avast! Go into Windows Programs and see how many VC++ redistributable packages are installed.  Uninstall working backwards as many as Windows will let you install.  Go to Windows Control Panel and run updates.  Reboot.  Reinstall avast!

Chindre

After following Nesivos's instruction and trying to uninstall and reinstall the redistributable I started to encounter a 1935 error in the installer.  As I looked into this the problem became larger and larger and no longer was about avast but my windows registry.

As I researched this problem I started to think that something was damaged deeper in my windows than I dared go myself.  Some of the registry fixes after all can be more damaging than the original problem.  I ended up reinstalling windows as I gave up trying to fix the initial problem.

I think what was happening was a problem with windows update not allowing the redistributable to execute properly.  I recently had a stick of ram go bad and was constantly crashing my computer so I'm not surprised something went completely fubar.  Everything works now, thanks for the help and sorry to waste your time.

Gargamel360

Its not wasted time at all....its a good example for future reference, especially since you came back and posted your solution, thanks. ;)

doveman

I'm getting this same error. I've recently installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Ultimate x64 and have updated it and installed a few basic programs (EaseUS ToDo Backup, TeamViewer, Defraggler, Sandboxie, Comodo Firewall).

I can't see that Visual C++ is installed though. It seems strange that if this is required by Avast that it wouldn't notify the user or install it automatically but anyway, should I install 2008, 2010 or both?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You need 2008 SP1 - this is the one:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
Note this link there are 64bit versions there (IA64, x64) ensure you get the correct one for your OS (x86 32bit OS, x64 64bit OS)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doveman

Thanks David.

I actually installed MediaPortal in the meantime, which automatically installed that very package and after that I installed Avast again and it's all working now :)

I think it only installed the x86 version though, as the Requirements page states http://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal/requirements

"Note: Using MP 1.0.0 or above the installer will automatically install latest Visual C++ Redistributable Package if necessary.
Note: If the component is downloaded and installed manually, be sure to use the x86 package even on x64 systems."

but that seems to be sufficient for Avast at least.