Author Topic: "SSL/TLS Connection Detected" alert always flashing on screen, won't go away  (Read 83049 times)

uasi05

Great product but I may have to uninstall because the above alert appears on my screen about every 30 seconds, stays for a while & then disappears. If I click on it it just disappears for another 30 seconds before returning. It's incredibly distracting/annoying - almost epilepsy inducing. I can't find a way to hide or even move it. Is there a way..?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:22:39 PM by tumic »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
What email client do you have installed as avast is telling you to set the security to none for incoming and outgoing emails within it so that avast can then look after it and scan your mail for you.

Amy In Sea

I don't know about the OP, but I have AT&T/Yahoo although I only check it through the mail program on my mac.  But I am having the same problem.  I have no idea if the SSL/TLS Connection Detected is telling me, "Yay, you have the connection you should have!" or "There's some hideous virus coming through on your connection and you need to do something to stop it!"  My email is spamming others, and I'm trying to stop it, but I don't understand what avast is telling me and it didn't stop the spam.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
The message is trying to say (the popup messages will be much more informative in the next beta release): "The avast! mailshield can not check your mail traffic because it is encrypted" and appears every time your mail client connects to the server. The solution is not to switch the popup verbosity to "errors and alerts only", but to disable SSL in your mail clients configuration and set it up in the avast! mailshield configuration.

This way the avast! mailshield will be able to check the mail traffic and your connection to the server will remain encrypted.

thebarnet

Ok i am also having this problem i use MAC mail the program that comes bundled with a Mac computer how do you do the fix that is suggested because this is relly annoying as i have 4 email inbox's 

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
From my previous post:

The solution is not to switch the popup verbosity to "errors and alerts only", but to disable SSL in your mail clients configuration and set it up in the avast! mailshield configuration.

This way the avast! mailshield will be able to check the mail traffic and your connection to the server will remain encrypted.

This means You have to:

• Start Apple Mail and go to Mail -> Preferencess -> Accounts -> Advanced and uncheck the "Use SSL" checkbox.
  • Open System Preferences and go to Avast -> Shields -> Mail Shield -> Advanced... -> SSL and add the mailservers You are using to the list.

Semris

Hello guys,

looking forward to using avast under OS X, so far have been using it only under Bootcamp.

____

How would you setup Mail shield for iCloud account? @me.com mail...

I turned off SSL at Mail and I have set Avast to proper imap ssl server only to see something about wrong certificate or something like that.

Turned Mail Shield off for now.

(Jinak dobrá práce, jen tak dál  ;D)

EDIT:

Fixed by moving Apple .Mac Certificate Authority from Login to System in Keychain.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:30:26 AM by Semris »

iynque

I am using Sparrow for Gmail. It is a simplified client whose setup includes entering a name and password for Gmail. All other options available to the user are superficial; there is no option to change use of SSL.

A related topic here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=92303.0 which links to my original post on the avast! c|net forum that I made while these forums were down.

I have just added the Gmail servers to the Avast! preferences: http://cl.ly/DjqB
Is this correct?

Also, I'm not sure what is meant by the note at the bottom, "...must be in one of the 'System Roots' or 'System' keychains..."

I have an idea of what this means, but once I opened Keychain I'm lost. How do I know which certificate I'm looking for?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
I am using Sparrow for Gmail. It is a simplified client whose setup includes entering a name and password for Gmail. All other options available to the user are superficial; there is no option to change use of SSL.

A related topic here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=92303.0 which links to my original post on the avast! c|net forum that I made while these forums were down.

I have just added the Gmail servers to the Avast! preferences: http://cl.ly/DjqB
Is this correct?

There is no way how to configure Sparrow to use the avast! mailshield, if it lacks the possibility to use non-SSL connections. In the next avast! release there will be at least the possibility to disable the "SSL warnings" so one can use the mailshield for other mail clients at the same time without being annoyed by the popup windows every time Sparrow connects to the server.

Also, I'm not sure what is meant by the note at the bottom, "...must be in one of the 'System Roots' or 'System' keychains..."

I have an idea of what this means, but once I opened Keychain I'm lost. How do I know which certificate I'm looking for?

You are looking for the certificate of the mailserver you are connecting to or the certificate of the certification authority that signed the mailserver's certificate. To learn about SSL certificates and/or the Mac OS X keychain, you can use any article generally explaining this topic as this is not a avast! mailshield specific topic.

kraized

Hi,

Can someone tell the correct settings to configure avast with Gmail? I'm using the Postbox app with Gmail but no matter what settings I try I can't get avast to scan my mail. Any ideas?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Hi,

Can someone tell the correct settings to configure avast with Gmail? I'm using the Postbox app with Gmail but no matter what settings I try I can't get avast to scan my mail. Any ideas?
You will need to disable the SSL Connection in the postbox app (if it is possible, never used it personally) and reconfigure the Mail shield for SSL. (Avast -> Shields -> Mail Shield -> Advanced... -> SSL)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

kraized

Hi,

You will need to disable the SSL Connection in the postbox app (if it is possible, never used it personally) and reconfigure the Mail shield for SSL. (Avast -> Shields -> Mail Shield -> Advanced... -> SSL)

Yup, I've tried that many times. Avast still says it can't scan the email and Postbox will not connect to Gmail.

jfoc2009

Hello All,

My settings with no results:
Mac OS X 10.7.2
eMail cliente = Apple Mail 5.1

eMail account:
Gmail imap and smtp.

Added SSL server in Avast preferences: imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com

On Apple Mail unchecked SSL and imap port still 993 and SMTP 543 (and tried others ports too).

Result: No scan!
SSL/TLS connection detected!
avast! Mail shield has detected a secured SSL/TLS connection that can not be scanned.
Address:74.125.65.108
Port: 993

On Avast preferences I see a note about to download a SSL certificate. How to do that ?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hello All,

My settings with no results:
Mac OS X 10.7.2
eMail cliente = Apple Mail 5.1

eMail account:
Gmail imap and smtp.

Added SSL server in Avast preferences: imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com

On Apple Mail unchecked SSL and imap port still 993 and SMTP 543 (and tried others ports too).

Result: No scan!
SSL/TLS connection detected!
avast! Mail shield has detected a secured SSL/TLS connection that can not be scanned.
Address:74.125.65.108
Port: 993

On Avast preferences I see a note about to download a SSL certificate. How to do that ?

First, the mailshield scans only incoming traffic, so revert all the smtp related settings and delete smtp.gmail.com from the mailshield's preferences.

To make the IMAP scanning work, you have to set the IMAP port to 143 in your mail client (and uncheck "use SSL as you already have)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster

For gmail there should be no action necessary as the "System Roots" keychain contains the certificate of the appropriate CA by default.