Author Topic: [feature request] control app permissions  (Read 12435 times)

secconsult

[feature request] control app permissions
« on: December 21, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »
hello,

would it be possible to extend the current privacy advisor feature similar to the features of the app "LBE privacy guard" or "PDroid Privacy Protection" (see http://www.xda-developers.com/android/pdroid-the-better-privacy-protection/) ? we need an app working with android 4 (galaxy nexus) that is able to block/control permissions of other apps.

best regards

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Re: [feature request] control app permissions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
Hi,

as I said somewhere else, we will consider it. Thanks for the feedback though.

Filip Havlicek

sioban

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »
This is definitively a must-have as LBE does not work anymore under 4.1.1.
But you should do more than only control privacy access.
We should be able to finely control security access of any apps (like email app which take right "erase the device" when connected with exchange server).

Do you think this will be studied ?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
Hi,

I would love to, but I think the project priorities are somewhere else at the moment, sorry. But they are changing all the time so I'm not saying we will never do it.

Filip

sioban

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
Features like what Pdroid do would be nice.
Each access should be verified (like camera/microphone access).

That would be a MUST HAVE app :D

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
Yeah, I would use that too ;)

Filip

stelios

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi,

I would love to, but I think the project priorities are somewhere else at the moment, sorry. But they are changing all the time so I'm not saying we will never do it.

Filip

Your priorities are completely wrong.
I just realized that the permission blocking is not supported by the application and I am thinking of unistalling it.
It is a must have feature and should be in first priority for avast.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
Hi,

I'm afraid you would need to convince someone higher in the company to make it happen, I don't need convincing, I'd do it if it would be up to me.

Filip

PS: Note that it's possible on rooted devices only.

stelios

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
Hi,

I'm afraid you would need to convince someone higher in the company to make it happen, I don't need convincing, I'd do it if it would be up to me.

Filip

PS: Note that it's possible on rooted devices only.

I understand that you are not the person who takes the decisions about the developing priorities but the issue is not interpersonal. When I talk to you, I talk to the company. I don't try to convince you, I don't know you and I don't care about your personal thoughts and priorities.

Moreover, asking me to search and find someone higher in your company is a rude and unprofessional behaviour.
You should convey our requests to higher people in the company.
Why does this forum exist?  Does it exist in order to be advised to find someone higher in the company and
tell him about our requests?

Stelios

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »
Stelios

I did (several times actually about this particular feature) and have been told that we might do this sometimes in the future. That's the official statement since you wanted one.

Filip

stelios

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:33:32 AM »
Stelios

I did (several times actually about this particular feature) and have been told that we might do this sometimes in the future. That's the official statement since you wanted one.

Filip

Stelios

Filip

OK thank you for your reply. I will uninstall the app for 2 reasons:
1)Lack of blocking permission ability
2)The malfunction of sms commands in anti-theft function due to incompability with handcent sms.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »
Hi,

then there is nothing I can do about it at the moment I'm afraid, sorry.

About the malfunction - I actually think it works with Handcent somehow, be it by default or using some setting inside Handcent. The message Anti-Theft gives you is more of a warning that you should be aware of the possibility, that's why there is the ignore option.

Filip

stelios

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 01:01:22 AM »
Hi,

then there is nothing I can do about it at the moment I'm afraid, sorry.

About the malfunction - I actually think it works with Handcent somehow, be it by default or using some setting inside Handcent. The message Anti-Theft gives you is more of a warning that you should be aware of the possibility, that's why there is the ignore option.

Filip

Which setting inside handcent do you mean?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 01:41:34 AM »
I know for sure that there is a setting in GoSMS that allows it to be used along Anti-Theft (should be something about receiver priority) and I think that Handcent works as well either without any tweaking or with some kind of a setting like that. But I might as well be mistaken since I don't have any personal experience with the newest version of Handcent.

Did you try it and it failed (command not delivered and/or message visible) or you are assuming it's malfunctioning based on the Anti-Theft warning alone?

Filip
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:59:23 AM by Filip Havlicek »

stelios

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:07 AM »
I know for sure that there is a setting in GoSMS that allows it to be used along Anti-Theft (should be something receiver priority) and I think that Handcent works as well either without any tweaking or with some kind of a setting like that. But I might as well be mistaken since I don't have any personal experience with the newest version of Handcent.

Did you try it and it failed (command not delivered and/or message visible) or you are assuming it's malfunctioning based on the Anti-Theft warning alone?

Filip

I thought that I won't work due to the notification. I will try it. thanks.