Author Topic: Avast IS is taking a long time to load (again)  (Read 7338 times)

dagrev

Avast IS is taking a long time to load (again)
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
I've been noticing that AIS is taking anywhere from 85 to 94 seconds to load.  This happened some months back with version 6 came out (if I remember correctly).  Several noted it here and something was done and the load time got back down to 46 seconds or so.  Noting has really changed on my computer so the creeping up of the load time seems to be just avast related as far as I can tell.

I'm using Soluto so I can see how long things take.  I'm not sure why AIS is going in the wrong direction again in loading.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast IS is taking a long time to load (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
I'm experiencing the same issue (delays on loading).
I've thought it will be because I'm behind a domain, the network drivers need to load, etc.
I was using Soluto but get troubles that made me uninstall it.
The best things in life are free.

rogo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
Dagrev:
   Here is what I have done in the past by setting priority's on via task manager this may solve the problem on start up for you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click on the Windows task bar along the bottom of the screen and select "Start Task Manager." Alternatively, press the "Ctrl," "Alt" and "Delete" simultaneously and select "Start Task Manager."

Click on the "Processes" tab to see a list of all the currently running processes. To find processes belonging to a particular application, click on the "Applications" tab then right-click on an application and select "Go to Process."

Right-click on the process whose priority you want to change, then select "Set Priority" from the menu. A new sub menu appears listing the six priority options available, ranging from "Low" to "Realtime," which is the highest priority. The default option is "Normal," which is in the middle of the priority range.

Close the Task Manager once you have changed the relevant priorities. Change the priorities of the selected processes at any time by running the Task Manager again
===============================================================================================
In essence this will give Avast IS priority on start up and cut down on time to boot. Also I would check the processes that are running, if there is a high usage an the processes is not needed you can disable the start up on a given process. Hope this helps

dagrev

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion rogo, but I get an "access denied" message when I try to change it to anything else.

rogo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion rogo, but I get an "access denied" message when I try to change it to anything else.

Suggestion: Set up your rights as the administrator. This should allow you to change. Now if you are already the admin. as the computer gets older than you can re-do this process and set up the account again as the admin.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
Hmmm... I can't see the session priority change be saved for future sessions (logon).
Also, avast seft defense module will block any change for any user (including the administrator), otherwise, a malware that get privileges could do the same.
The best things in life are free.

dagrev

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Just to compare--last boot avast 82 seconds, Norton IS 9 seconds.  (Avast all shields disabled.)

Clearly something is wrong with avast.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
Just to compare - last boot avast 82 seconds, Norton IS 9 seconds.  (Avast all shields disabled.)
Do you mean in the same system? Both installed simultaneously? And if you used other resident antivirus before avast, have you followed the relevant removal instructions (removal utility)?

dagrev

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

Do you mean in the same system? Both installed simultaneously? And if you used other resident antivirus before avast, have you followed the relevant removal instructions (removal utility)?
[/quote]

Yes the same system.  Yes, but avast shields are disabled so there will be minimal if any conflict for the test).  Yes anything that had been on before was removed with appropriate utility, but I was not running two AVs at the same time.

Norton was just loaded to see how it loaded and was not on there previously.

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
Ok, then you are playing in a no-fly zone, having 2 AV installed on the same machine.  Any amount of weirdness can happen, whether you disable either program or not.

What magic system boots in 9 seconds anyway?  I don't even think my Win 7 did that out of the box with no service packs.  You have a SSDD?

edit: nvm, I see you are talking about watching the program itself loading with Soluto, not your system starting. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:13:02 PM by Gargamel360 »

dagrev

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
Correct--but avast was taking a long time to load before Norton was installed (as a test).  Thus there is still an avast problem.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
Please tell me what exactly takes so long... does it mean that your OS startup is slower? How/when? (do you see e.g. Welcome/Logon window for long time?), or when you login, is avast tray icon inactive for next 10+ seconds? I don't know how Soluto measures it, but I'm rather interesting in your subjective feeling, thanks.

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
Correct--but avast was taking a long time to load before Norton was installed (as a test).  Thus there is still an avast problem.

@dagrev,

Although your point is valid, IMHO your system is no longer a "valid" system for this type of test, or any test for avast for that matter. Any potential remnant would always influence the results (and, to be clear, you might not see a definitive crash, but the potential conflits are still influencing the results of any type of test with avast).

I'm not discarding the observation you made though.

dagrev

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
Yes, I understand, and thanks for the imput.  When I get some time later I'll unistall avast properly and see if Norton's load time increases to the overly long time of avast before Norton was installed.

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »
Yes, I understand, and thanks for the imput.  When I get some time later I'll unistall avast properly and see if Norton's load time increases to the overly long time of avast before Norton was installed.

As you wish. I was actually thinking the other way around: cleaning any Norton remnant, cleaning avast (any old version too) and reinstalling the latest avast so to test it alone (with no potential conflicts / remnants of any other antivirus nor any other old version of avast).