Author Topic: Avast is slow scanning, system resources hog and horrible user interface?  (Read 81864 times)

Germanium202

Re:Avast is slow scanning, system resources hog and horrible user interface?
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2004, 04:32:58 PM »
this is starting to sound like beating a dead horse to me   :)

What??? You know how beating a dead horse sounds like??? This is wierd!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

hahaha..      I'm laughing, but at the same time realizing that some of our sayings here in the US have got to sound very odd

As to keep my post "on topic" for a moment..   I'ld like to say that you won't find another anti virus software out there that has a forum that is as thorough and helpful as this one.   If a user has a question,  needs help...  he/she can come here and find it by searching or asking other users here.    

Having to do a little configuring when you add new software to your system is not unique and should be expected.    Its a part of most all programs we use today.    

Three things,

1. The forum was not reviewed, the only thing i have really seen of this forum is a bunch of people trashing a guy for trying to make an honest review.

2. Very true, which is why i prefer *nix based systems, the control over the system is a lot better, that said, most first time users go by their first impressions, a GUI is the first impression and most users want something that looks the same in all programs, therefore, compared to other AV products, the Avant UI IS odd.

3. Todays computer users have gotten used to the "for dummies" routine, very few will tweak or polish the settings of their AV program.

Spyros

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2004, 04:34:15 PM »
opinions are like assholes
Not a nice thing to say. Someone could say the same about your opinions here, or Shadenfroh's on his review.

BTW, this will be my last post in this thread.

conazus

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2004, 04:40:03 PM »

1. The forum was not reviewed, the only thing i have really seen of this forum is a bunch of people trashing a guy for trying to make an honest review.

Then look around... you'll find its much more then what you are ass-u-ming :)

Another thing..   you won't find anyone here proclaiming they are experts...    

Germanium202

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2004, 04:40:11 PM »
Not a nice thing to say. Someone could say the same about your opinions here, or Shadenfroh's on his review.

Which is why i said "opinions" as a general term, not "your opinions", so you don't have to say it about mine or Shadenfroh's opinions, i already did. ;)

conazus

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2004, 04:41:24 PM »

spyros..    I had about 5 answers to that one...    but decided not to do any of them   :)           Im in nice mode  :)

Germanium202

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2004, 04:47:07 PM »

Then look around... you'll find its much more then what you are ass-u-ming :)

Another thing..   you won't find anyone here proclaiming they are experts...    

I am not assuming anything, i came here for this thread alone, read it and saw what i saw.

A bunch of people scared half to death by a negative review and a lot of trashing without as much as ONE helpful hint towards the reviewer, no links, no suggestion on the tweaks, no nothing.

I am sure there are loads of helpful posts out there in pretty much every forum you can find, i honestly couldn't care less though.

People are perhaps not claiming to be experts, but hey sure act as if they know Shadenfroh's experiences with Avast better than he does himself, which is, of course impossible.

A few pointers to shadenfroh on how he could improve his review and on how to improve his experiences with Avast would have been a lot better.

Anyway, i can't believe i am still arguing about this on a forum for a piece of software that i will most probably never use anyway. heh.

conazus

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2004, 04:49:44 PM »

Anyway, i can't believe i am still arguing about this on a forum for a piece of software that i will most probably never use anyway. heh.

I believe its called  "stirring the pot"        

there IS a logout button    .. heh       lol     :)      

and..    Im done with this...     its getting abit combative and is not helpful at all...  

Germanium202

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2004, 04:49:57 PM »

spyros..    I had about 5 answers to that one...    but decided not to do any of them   :)           Im in nice mode  :)

Oh, please do, it would be interesting to hear them.

It's basically a variation of the old saying "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyones stinks". Which includes mine. ;D

Germanium202

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2004, 04:52:04 PM »

and..    Im done with this...     its getting abit combative and is not helpful at all...  

Can't find it, confusing interface. ;D

conazus

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2004, 05:02:51 PM »

Germ     ;D

I have this little self imposed rule   (on myself, not others)

It has to do with fanning the flames....

Just because someone dangles a chain...    it doesn't mean I must yank it...

I'm also being  "nice" here now as this forum is very unique in one way...  you'll see VERy little flaming here.    ITs a rule in most forums that it is not allowed and its extraordinarily followed here.     Lots of very good , and caring people here.     Given your earlier statement Im sure that matters not to you as well,  and that is fine.    

Everyone does have a right to an opinion.    Im ending mine here with this:      People who write about programs should actually install them, run them,  use them for a time and be very sure they are being factual about them.      

The writer  (and you to stick up for him)  chose to come here.       Why is beyond me to be honest with you.        You   (in general)  cannot make everyone happy and he should realize that if he is going to write reviews to begin with    :)

*final comment*

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2004, 05:05:10 PM »
Ok i finished my review of avast!. You can check it here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=9703
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

VB_For_Dummies

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2004, 05:14:16 PM »
I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOOOOOVE MY AVAST INTERFACE !!!!!
they have a bunch of pretty interface skins to choose from... i like the "Matrix" , makes it look robotic :)
Yeah , with any program , it usually has a pretty basic interface unless of course the designer used the majority of his/her programming efforts implementing the "Lavope Buttons / etc......" into their programming , therefore bloating the program size overall just to give it that XP skinned look , I guess that the Avast team didn't find it necessary to bloat the program towards how pretty it was from initial install , yet at least they ( avast ) did keep it fun and allow the end-user to throw on some simple clothing ( skin ) to pretty it up . To me this is alot nicer in a sense because they even tell you how to design your own skin ( the best I remember ) . Cool interface by far !

There would be 1 definate consideration to implement into the Avast interface , short-cut key's for the menu. As I experienced a kiddie virus/trojan/worm a little while back which took control over my mouse yet not my keyboard , the shortcuts ( had they of been there ) would've been a really nice +Plus . Instead , I had to fight with my mouse until I got to click ( slowly ) upon the menu options. Which Avast then found the junk and deleted the kiddie stuff.

Germanium202

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2004, 05:20:24 PM »

Germ     ;D

I have this little self imposed rule   (on myself, not others)

It has to do with fanning the flames....

Just because someone dangles a chain...    it doesn't mean I must yank it...

I'm also being  "nice" here now as this forum is very unique in one way...  you'll see VERy little flaming here.    ITs a rule in most forums that it is not allowed and its extraordinarily followed here.     Lots of very good , and caring people here.     Given your earlier statement Im sure that matters not to you as well,  and that is fine.    

Everyone does have a right to an opinion.    Im ending mine here with this:      People who write about programs should actually install them, run them,  use them for a time and be very sure they are being factual about them.      

The writer  (and you to stick up for him)  chose to come here.       Why is beyond me to be honest with you.        You   (in general)  cannot make everyone happy and he should realize that if he is going to write reviews to begin with    :)

*final comment*

I read about it on another forum and basically came here to see what all the fuss was about, i don't really know Shadenfroh and have not discussed any of this with him.

That his review could use a bit of a cleanup and some corrections is true (goes for more than his review on Avast), however, i have a feeling that while others are quick to trash him about it i am the only one who will actually send him a mail.

I guess it was just a bit of a slow afternoon for me so i got stuck here. heh.

Take care!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2004, 05:47:21 PM »

In fact, right now, if you did not realise, is in your opinions we're trashing and not about that honest review.

2. Compared to other AV products, the Avant UI IS odd.

In your opinion again. Note, only your not fundamented opinions are making all this noise.

3. Todays computer users have gotten used to the "for dummies" routine, very few will tweak or polish the settings of their AV program.

Your incredible right  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2004, 05:50:51 PM »
I am not assuming anything, i came here for this thread alone, read it and saw what i saw.

A bunch of people scared half to death by a negative review and a lot of trashing without as much as ONE helpful hint towards the reviewer, no links, no suggestion on the tweaks, no nothing.

Again, it's because your opinions and not the review.
We're affraid of nothing. You have the onus to prove anything.
We're here before you. You're trowing trash over avast that, for your words, we can see you even do not know.

People are perhaps not claiming to be experts, but hey sure act as if they know Shadenfroh's experiences with Avast better than he does himself, which is, of course impossible. A few pointers to shadenfroh on how he could improve his review and on how to improve his experiences with Avast would have been a lot better.

You're giving Shadenfroh's experiences the value of a dogma.
We know avast and we're talking about even deeper and continuous experiences with avast.
You're not listening our posts... Why are you doing this?

Bye bye  ;D
The best things in life are free.