Author Topic: Upgrade or not plz help  (Read 5281 times)

Punterzebra

Upgrade or not plz help
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
Hi
first of i gotta say that Ive been a long time user of avast and it has never failed me, i would like to thank the avast team and the avast community for the worlds no.1 security product.

Now here is my problem i have been using avast 6 on 2 computers and also been prescribing it to other sick computers, but i have this other computer that i have kept  with avast 4.8 for 2 reasons

1-avast 4.8 had a feature that used to back up important data so that it could be used in case of a breakdown. i have not seen that implemented in later versions

2-avast 4.8 used to check memory every time you started or brought up the user-interface. this feature always  gave me peace of mind that nothing was going on in the background where normal scans didn't go.

so finally here is what I'm asking does version 6 have these features or not and if does or doesn't what should i do? do i upgrade or not
 8)
thank you

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Upgrade or not plz help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
Of course you should upgrade, what is the point in staying with an outdated product that has less protective features  ???
I would also suggest a clean install of the new avast to alieviate any problems that might arise from installing over the top.

Punterzebra

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
Yes of course what you say is true but my main concern is the 2 points that I made all I want to know is that
Are they still existent or not and if not why did avast remove them  and also were they good enough features to warant such a reaction from me lol

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »
They are gone still.  

I wasn't aware old 4.8 had any kind of "data backup"....it had VPS rollback if I remember right, is that what you are talking about?

As far as the memory scan, it became obsolete, so there was no point in keeping it around.  You can still scan memory manualy or set up a custom scheduled scan to replicate the behavior you miss.   But trust me....it would literally be only for peace of mind, it does nothing for security and can produce strange detections and false positives.

Punterzebra

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »
Yes vps rollback thank you for pointing that out so why remove it wasn't it a good feature?
If you dont mind I would like to know why the memory check became obsolete and how can I recreate it manually in avast 6?
Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
it backed up some system files it could use if it needed to clean/replace files

the reason this is gone are of course that the avast team dont see any use for it longer..
remeber they have played with malware 24/7 for many years so the know what works and not

If you dont mind I would like to know why the memory check became obsolete and how can I recreate it manually in avast 6?
OBS: do not use the  "scan memory"  setting in avast 5/6 as this will give some strange results
the forum is full if you search
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:30:14 PM by Pondus »

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
Well, as far as VPS rollback goes.....I do not know why they ditched it but.....if you upgrade, and stick around, you may just be pleasantly surprised by a near-future program update ;)  ;)  ;)

Memory scan is obsolete because modern malware does not hide in memory anymore....add to that the fact that people have started layering security applications that load unencrypted virus signatures into memory, thus memory scan will produce way more false positives than real detections, at an unacceptable ratio.

There is no way to replicate the scanning when UI opens that I am aware of....but you can schedule a memory scan as often as you like via a Custom Scan (see the very bottom-right corner of the UI).   But as I said....it totally unnecessary.

Punterzebra

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Yes you have a valid point "avast team knows best" unfortunately im as neurotic as they make them with regards to personal data securty.
I will upgrade and am dying to find out what they've got for us fingers crossed.
Well thank you to all contibuters though I wouldnt mind more indepth discussion lol.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
...I wouldnt mind more indepth discussion lol.

Please use the forum's search function, as you are many months late for this discussion. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »

Please use the forum's search function, as you are many months late for this discussion. ;)
year.....long time since avast 5

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
As far as I'm aware there was never any VPS rollback in avast 4.8.

I still have a collection of old abast 4.x images and I can find nothing related to VPS rollback. The VRDB (Virus Recovery DataBase) has nothing to do with VPS roll back, it allowed for the 'repair' of certain files if they became infected. Not all files were covered and the user couldn't select what file should be covered.

In all the time I user avast with the VRDB, I never saw one occasion that it was used in anger 'Repair option if infected' in the forums and that was several years (probably 5) before avast 5.0 came out removing the VRDB concept because malware infections had moved on and became harder to actually repair an infected file.

There are repair routines built into avast 6.0 and these would be updated and added to in the course of time (Don't ask me what they are, I don't know).

So all in all the VRDB concept had its life span and something new needed to be developed, to replace it and it only related to true virus infections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »
As far as I'm aware there was never any VPS rollback in avast 4.8.

Confirmed.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »

year.....long time since avast 5
Considering avast! 7 beta should be out shortly, the discussion is mute.  :o
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »
Considering avast! 7 beta should be out shortly, the discussion is mute.  :o

Good point, Bob.

Gargamel360

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
I still have a collection of old abast 4.x images and I can find nothing related to VPS rollback. The VRDB (Virus Recovery DataBase) has nothing to do with VPS roll back, it allowed for the 'repair' of certain files if they became infected. Not all files were covered and the user couldn't select what file should be covered.
Ah, thats what it was, yes.  I only used ver4 once for a couple months, so memory was sketchy.

Very sketchy, since the two have nothing in common other than the letter "V". :-[

Thanks for clarifying. ;)