Author Topic: Avast 7 Final Released  (Read 304033 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Re: Avast 7 Final Released
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »
Well, something is not right with my Avast Free.

First, I can't connect to avast! Accounts: when I try to, a pop-up with spinning ring appears and disappears but no connection is established.

Second, I see no more usual adds bellow the security summary. When I allow the avast! Market tab, it says that I must be connected to internet if I want to see the content. But I am already connected!
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
HUGE fail. This version just brings back all the old problems I had already somehow solved. And the best of all? I didn't even said the program he could update, he just decided it by itself. I think it's time to change my AV for something more SERIOUS. Sorry guys but you obviously don't have a clue of what you're doing anymore.

Just calm down! Sorry to hear you have problems, but just because you have problems, doesn't mean it's a bad software. And the avast guys, giving us this software for sure have a clue what they are doing.

What problems do you have? There are many members here that for sure want to help you.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »
I didn't even said the program he could update, he just decided it by itself.
You've set it to do so. avast! default settings for program updates is just "inform" (not automatic).

I think it's time to change my AV for something more SERIOUS.
Well... 200 millions around the world, the most used antivirus, we have all problems, except seriousness ;)
The best things in life are free.

Tetsuo

« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »

we have all problems, except seriousness ;)

Yeah, if only RC test had lasted more than a couple of hours...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
RC or code freeze wouldn't really change much if it lasted for 3 more days. With 200 million users and all the harwdare and software combinations, it's very likely that for some things will go wrong. But i can bet its only affecting very small number of users. You just have to release the program at some point.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
Yeah, if only RC test had lasted more than a couple of hours...
The eternal fight of marketing, programmers, release dates, user expectations, size of the beta test set, etc. :)

ady4um

« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
RC or code freeze wouldn't really change much if it lasted for 3 more days. With 200 million users and all the harwdare and software combinations, it's very likely that for some things will go wrong. But i can bet its only affecting very small number of users. You just have to release the program at some point.

C'mon RejZor, you don't really believe that, do you?

Some of the problems could had been avoided even with the same release date. For example, if the infrastructure was not 100% ready (and it wasn't), then why send the tray notifications? It would had been enough to let users download it manually and try it. Then you can adjust, correct, improve, test, and start releasing slowly.

The installer was nice, but buggy too. That's not about release dates either. An those are examples only.

Tetsuo

« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
But i can bet its only affecting very small number of users.

Not true, IMHO. Some of the problems could had been avoided, especially that related to the buggy installer (which affects a large number of users). An issue very frustrating for a normal user.

And what about this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94023.msg748495#msg748495

Do you really think it's only affecting a very small number of users and that a proper RC test would make no difference in that case?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:18:38 PM by Tetsuo »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
The situation is not as bad as you want to make it look like. Sure it sucks if installer mocks up something, but you can always simply uninstall Chrome like any other app.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:51:32 PM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
We all learn from mistakes, well, at lest try to.
But if the version 7 was perfect it would be version 8 already :)

rogo

« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2012, 03:57:52 PM »
Well on a positive note........installed version 7 over 6 and its running flawless!!!!!!!  To date I find no problems whatsoever and I am impressed on this new version. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.  :) Thanks to the Avast Team for a great product. Oh yes I am running Avast Pro, and look forward to future version. Avast is the best ;D

Tetsuo

« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
I was talking about the endless upgrade process (...click here to finish, etc) not the Chrome issue (which I'm not aware of).
Many friends and relatives have called me asking how they can solve the problem. Believe me, It's a pain...
Anyway, I just wanted to express my opinion.

Thanks and sorry for the little OT.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:02:48 PM by Tetsuo »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »
I was talking about the endless upgrade process (...click here to finish, etc) not the Chrome issue (which I'm not aware of).
Many friends and relatives have called me asking how they can solve the problem. Believe me, It's a pain...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93866.msg749178#msg749178
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

kinfolk66

« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Well, I have voiced some complaints just like many others. But today everything seems to running very well. Streaming updates are coming with regularity and things seem to be running flawlessly.  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:12:00 PM by kinfolk66 »

Tetsuo

« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93866.msg749178#msg749178

Yeah, I read about that line of the avast5.ini file in some post yesterday. However, thanks for the info, Asyn ; )