Author Topic: I'm NOT Russian  (Read 7264 times)

mhf

I'm NOT Russian
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Updated to v.7 - it's great - but why on Earth is the publicity for Avast! on the Summary page in Russian ?
I live in France and my ISP is French - what's it all about ? Am I under observation ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:37:00 PM by mhf »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: I'm NOT Russian
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
Can you post a screenshot, please?

mhf

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »
Hi Igor, thanks for replying - attached screenshot of the summary page.

mhf

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
Not only is the advertisement on the Summary page in Russian but also the avast! Account window !

I'd like some replies about this. Note that my language settings are only set to English.

P.S.  I have nothing against Russia !

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
Hi all,

the connect window will be fixed today, it should respect the program language. But it really seems as your IP is being marked as Russian. Could you please visit this page and let us know where you were detected?
http://www.ip2location.com/

Thx
Martin

mhf

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
Thanks Martin - good to hear.

I am in Paris : see attached screenshot.

PS later - the avast! Account window is now back in English, but the advertisement on the Summary page still in Russian.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:37:29 PM by mhf »

mhf

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
Still in Russian !!!

I'd like an answer or rectification as I'll end up by thinking my PC is compromised ...

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Hi, Russian is officially supported language of avast. It is a bug that you see it in a different language, sorry for that. We will investigate.

However, why do you think you are hijacked? Not all Russians are bad! Russian and French are pretty normal languages.

Dokson

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
I got Finnish automatically when I installed Avast! 7 and I am from Finland....

UserA789

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »
Thanks Martin - good to hear.

I am in Paris : see attached screenshot.

PS later - the avast! Account window is now back in English, but the advertisement on the Summary page still in Russian.
Your problem may be that the ORIGINAL owner of the IP subset you are assigned is Russian.  My ISP is not always correctly identified when using various tools on the web (mainly speedtests), as my IP (example: 255.255.110.98) is owned by my ISP, but the etnire subset (example: 255.255.0.0) is identified as being owned by another company; the company who owns the Fiber Optic roll-out in my city).

I was worried at first until I called my ISP and found out thats what and why this was happening.  I was worried because Im trying to prove Comcast DOES NOT have the fastest internet in the US, but my IP was listeing the first company on the WHO IS report.  If your on a router, try cloning/changing your MAC address and see if that changes things.  Also, call do a "WHO" IS ARIN report and see all the names that might be attached.  This is how I found that my ISP was using IP's in a subset owned by a different company.

***If your WHO IS report reflects as such, I dont know for sure, but you may have to clean your installation and re-install to get correct language listing once getting a wholly owned ISP IP subset.  Again, may not be neccessary as Im not sure how this language check relates to IP assingment and if it changes becuase IP is changed.***
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:39:35 PM by UserA789 »

mhf

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
Thanks for all the comments - of course I have nothing against Russia, Russian people or the Russian language - don't get me wrong !
I was just notifying a bug.

I didn't have this "problem" with avast! 6 and neither my ISP nor my IP have changed, however UserA789 you may be right, my IP begins with 190 and most of the range is in France but not all : e.g. 190.200.*** is in Malta and 190.10.**** is in Croatia, I think, and so on - but this doesn't explain why it worked before and not now.

But no worry, maybe I can learn Russian ?

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »
don't know if the OP has a dynamic IP, ie if it's changed since the beginning of this thread, but the one I see now, according to Avast's own whois utility in AIS shows France, defnitely ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:02:25 PM by logos »

mhf

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »
typo : 109 not 190 !

Seany007

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Best way to learn Russian :) After all you can't beat Russian girls :) LOL! :)

mhf

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
Maybe I should turn on the Self defence module ? ;)

Best way to learn Russian :) After all you can't beat Russian girls :) LOL! :)

I don't beat any girls ...  ;D