Author Topic: Avast 7 installs chrome without permission  (Read 56895 times)

Offline drake127

• Avast team
Re: Avast 7 installs chrome without permission
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
There was a bug which caused this screen to disappear but it was fixed long time ago and should be of no concern in Avast 8.

Edit: I just tried to install Avast 7 and update it to Avast 8 and everything seems to be fine.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:20:04 PM by drake127 »

Davy

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2013, 03:52:53 PM »
I suspected a bug.... sorry, it's still flashing giving one no chance, and many folks are not realizing where the option screen is.

Perhaps if you try doing a clean install, removing ALL Alwil files and Avast folders, getting rid of their entries in the registry along with Google Chrome opt in/out, you'll see what I mean.

On one trial I left them all alone and just used the removal tool and got the same result.

So when is this bug going to be fixed or is it being left to con people? 

Had enough, Avast comes off NOW and just about to lose a customer, they ought to do better - don't pester me with offers, no more Avast - they KNOW what they ARE doing!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:56:06 PM by Davy »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »
Did the update today, let it run in the background whilst doing something else.
Rebooted, clicked to finish the process and had a message about being unable to install Chrome.
Had several boxes from Privatefirewall about Chrome so blocked them all.
Looked on C drive and found the folder, so looked at what was running: 2 processes and 2 services (the boot was slower than usual and less RAM left). Got rid of these and deleted the files and folder.
Searched in the Registry and deleted over a hundred items re. Google and GoogleUpdate.
Why was all of this dumped on my PC without my permission? Any dialogue asking me about Chrome should have stopped the process and waited until I answered - it didn't.
I've tried Chrome a couple of times and don't like it and don't want it, thank you.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Davy

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »
Yet Avast is doing nothing about it! Nothing in the sticky section either.... whats going on?

Dave

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
Could you please provide more details and logs about the situation where avast installs Chrome without your permission? There is always opt out dialog which you have to confirm.
We don't want to install anything without your confirmation. If this really happens then I'd like to chase it to the root cause of this bug.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »
Could you please provide more details and logs about the situation where avast installs Chrome without your permission? There is always opt out dialog which you have to confirm.
We don't want to install anything without your confirmation. If this really happens then I'd like to chase it to the root cause of this bug.
I don't have any log, or at least I don't know where it would be. The folder was C:\Program Files\Google.
There might have been some sort of notification, but if there was it wasn't there for long, didn't come to the front (I was using other things) and didn't halt the process until I was able to give an answer.
I've never had this before from an update; only from clean installations.

It's as annoying as Adobe wanting to install McAfee regardless of the fact that I already have an AV!
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Davy

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
 lukas.hasik.
Where is the opt out box - I keep asking???

Just before the Customize Avast window where you can select Avast modules when doing a custom install, prior to this there is a brief screen flash.... only lasts about a second, the box should be at the bottom left of this screen, it happens so fast you just can't click it!

Again, *it had* use to be here, it's certainly not in customs install as some would have you believe! Please, take it from me there is NO other boxes and no other options, reading a couple of post back it was a bug that supposed to have been fixed.

I'm my case I had a BSOD whilst doing a boot scan was the reason I wanted to re-install Avast. I have removed Avast from the main drive whilst trying another Anti Virus program, it is still on my back up drive drive which I will reinstall should this be fixed. If I get to like the new AV - bye, bye Avast! I did remove ALL Avast and Alwill files and removed the registry entries as well, along with the Google Chrome opt entry from a earlier installation of Avast....  meaning, I must have clicked the relevant box not to have Chrome installed in the first place.

The box is simply not displayed long enough to be clicked... where else is the option - sorry I can't not explain any simpler!!!!

Dave
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:24:04 PM by Davy »

the_auroran

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 03:54:39 AM »
Apparently the unauthorized Google Chrome install is still a problem in version 8. Today I updated my Avast version from 8.0.1473(?) to 8.0.1489. After my computer restarted I come to find Google had not only installed itself, but made itself the default browser.
Opt-in/Opt-out, it doesn't matter. I pay for this product.  Why am I having other programs pushed on me during the update process.
This a serious breach of trust.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Would it be possible to get Support packege or at least setup.log to investigate what and why happened?

thank you
Quality is also a feature.

andrewmatchett

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »
I let Avast do a Program update and during this the Computer rebooted and Avast had been updated but I also found that Google Chrome and a Chrome Toolbar had been installed. I have since uninstalled these. If this installation is part of Avasts update, then I am extremely disappointed that Chrome was installed without my permission. No other programs were doing any updates at this time. This is not about which Browser is better. It is about something being installed on my Computer that I did not want. I will be seriously reconsidering using Avast when my Subscription expires.

Trantor_3

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »
Got a notification yesterday that I had to update my Avast, so I clicked the Update button. There were no further items to set, no check boxes that needed to be checked or unchecked, just an "Update" button.
At the end, Avast reported that my computer had to be restated, which I dod not do yet, as I was going to switch it off anyway, an hour later.

This morning I switch it on again, Avast shows a large window that the update needs to be finished. I click the finish button (again, no other controls) and after a while it is ready, presenting me a big smiley.

When I closed the window and minimized my email client, I see that Google Chrome appears to be installed.

I DID NOT ASK FOR THAT, I WAS NOT ASKED FOR THAT, I DID NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR THAT.

Trust me, my face did / does not show a smiley.....

I'm seriously reconsidering whether I should renew my license when this one expires.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
Got a notification yesterday that I had to update my Avast, so I clicked the Update button. There were no further items to set, no check boxes that needed to be checked or unchecked, just an "Update" button.
At the end, Avast reported that my computer had to be restated, which I dod not do yet, as I was going to switch it off anyway, an hour later.

This morning I switch it on again, Avast shows a large window that the update needs to be finished. I click the finish button (again, no other controls) and after a while it is ready, presenting me a big smiley.

When I closed the window and minimized my email client, I see that Google Chrome appears to be installed.

I DID NOT ASK FOR THAT, I WAS NOT ASKED FOR THAT, I DID NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR THAT.

Trust me, my face did / does not show a smiley.....

I'm seriously reconsidering whether I should renew my license when this one expires.
You must have missed it, the pic below shows avast 7 but is essentially the same process for avast 8
http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB6#

andrewmatchett

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »
No one has responded to my Post from the 21st. But I will respond to Craigb's reply to Trantor_3. Whilst I cannot speak for Trantor_3 I can assure Craigb and anyone from Avast that I did NOT get any such screen as posted by Craigb. In absolutly no way did I miss such a screen. There was nothing during my Avast update to indicate that Chrome was going to be installed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:59:33 AM by andrewmatchett »

Davy

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
No one has responded to my Post from the 21st. But I will respond to Craigb's reply to Trantor_3. Whilst I cannot speak for Trantor_3 I can assure Craigb and anyone from Avast that I did NOT get any such screen as posted by Craigb. In absolutly no way did I miss such a screen. There was nothing during my Avast update to indicate that Chrome was going to be installed.

These guys here do not comprehend what is being said.... even I've told them umpteen times and so has many others before, this just inflames the situation!

I've given up trying, my subscription expires in August  thank God !

Dave

Rick F

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:05 AM »

These guys here do not comprehend what is being said.... even I've told them umpteen times and so has many others before, this just inflames the situation!

I've given up trying, my subscription expires in August  thank God !

Dave
Yep, there are some that get the warning others that don't.  That's why I've stayed on ver 6.xx of avast.