Author Topic: avast freezes when scanning ms autoroute  (Read 8549 times)

mick1200

avast freezes when scanning ms autoroute
« on: December 07, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
avast4 has just recently updated its self with a new version, now when i do a full hdd scan it seems to freeze when it gets to my microsoft autoroute folder in program files does anyone know what could be causing this, for now i have told avast to ignor this folder and this has fixed the problem, everything was fine before the update...cheers

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:avast freezes when scanning ms autoroute
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 04:30:50 PM »
Is it really freezing or does it just takes a long time to scan?
At what exact file does this happen?
Have you run chkdsk?

mick1200

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 04:46:22 PM »
it dosent show which file, it is only showing the directory C:\ program files\microsoft autoroute. when i set it to just scan this folder only it freezes at the 316 files tested mark, avast is scanning this folder at present and has been stuck at this point for about 5 minutes. the scanner is showing the status as running, but i am covinced its frozen. will leave scanner running and let you know its state 10 minutes from now

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 04:47:04 PM »
You can see what file in Avast's log file.

mick1200

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 04:56:48 PM »
this is wiered, when i stop the scan and check the scan report it says its completed the scan and found nothing, the log shows nothing, i started a fresh scan this time it froze at file 226 and again when stopped it claims to have completed the scan and the log shows nothing????????

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 04:57:52 PM »
Please, go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (and set "OK files" to be included in the report as well). The end of the report should be a good guess on where it stopped. We would really like to have the "bad" file, if there's any.

Does the problem appear even when you scan the Autoroute folder alone? (i.e. not the whole disk)? What settings did you use? (quick/standard/thorough scan, archives on/off?)
Does it help when you lower the sensitivity (e.g. turn off the archive scanning) and scan again?

Thanks!

mick1200

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 05:07:19 PM »
i have just done another scan on standard with archive files off and this seems to have fixed the problem scan completed in about 3 seconds. have also repeated the procedure on thorough and again no problems. it would seem that scan archive files was the problem. why is this?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »
Possibly avast! unpacking angine has some problems with one of the files... could you please try to locate it? (e.g. using the report file, as I suggested). When you are "close" to the file where it stalls, you can try copying the files into an empty folder, one by one, and scan them - to find out which one it really is.
Thanks!

mick1200

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 05:58:55 PM »
after reading reports the only suspect imformation is "[E] file skipped because of scanner settings.  (42016)" which is next to many many files files. everything else shows as"
  • is OK" if i right click the directory and scan that way the scanner freezes at C:\Program Files\Microsoft AutoRoute\BUGREP10.dll hope this is what your after, as you can tell im not a pc genius but i do my best.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 06:02:56 PM »
as you can tell im not a pc genius but i do my best.
Don't worry, you are doing fine and Igor will guide you through this.

mick1200

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 06:24:10 PM »
yep, this is definatly the file it gets stuck on when i scan the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft AutoRoute\BUGREP10.dll  , but scanning the individual file presents no problems...???
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 06:29:52 PM by mick1200 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 08:04:22 PM »
How do you scan the individual file? Using the Explorer Extension, or Simple User Interface - e.g. copied to a different folder? These 2 have different settings of archives. I'd suggest to use the Simple User Interface.
Is thus BUGREP file in the report? If yes, then the "bad" file is probably one after; the last file in report if the last one successfully scanned. How big is the file?

mick1200

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 12:58:04 AM »
when i scan the directory with the simple user interface(archive off) everything is fine. when i scan again but with archive on it gets stuck and the last file in the report is BUGREP10.dll and i have the same problem with the explorer extension, after checking reports for what file comes after BUGREP10.dll in archive off mode i now believe i have found the real suspect C:\Program Files\Microsoft AutoRoute\Data\Eurarts.its, this file is the only file i cant scan with the explorer extension, when i try i get Initializing engine, please wait... and nothing happens this has to be the culprit and is 96.7MB in size, i have moved the file to my desktop and tried to scan again with explorer extension and get the same result Initializing engine, please wait... hope this helps, the file type is internet document set
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:04:39 AM by mick1200 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 01:12:39 AM »
I suspect the file to be "something like" CHM file - either one that confuses the CHM unpacking engine, or just a very big CHM file that takes long time to open (the "opening" of the CHM file is actually extracting its whole content to avast! TEMP folder).
How long did you wait before considering it "frozen"? Do new files apper in TEMP folder when it's frozen?

mick1200

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 01:46:51 AM »
i have avast simple user interface scanning with archives on at present, its frozen on C:\Program Files\Microsoft AutoRoute\AutoRout.chm this file is 268KB in size it has been frozen for the last 35 mins, and there are no files in the _avast4_  folder in the windows\temp directory......it getting late 00:59am london time im off to bed will login in the afternoon after some needed sleep. have attached a copy of report from this scan.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:09:52 AM by mick1200 »