Author Topic: Is avast! Firewall blocking automatic Windows updates?  (Read 5995 times)

SouthernAnCap

Is avast! Firewall blocking automatic Windows updates?
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
I have avast! Internet Security, and I use the default "work" setting, even in my home. For some reason, the Patch Tuesday Windows updates are not downloaded and installed automatically, even though I have set Windows Update to automatically install important and recommended updates. It checks for updates daily, but it does not notify me when they become available. Instead, I have to manually open Windows Update and tell it to install them. I do not encounter any trouble when I do this, but I would like to know if the avast! Firewall may be preventing Windows from downloading and installing them in the background after the scheduled daily check. If so, is there a way around this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is avast! Firewall blocking automatic Windows updates?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
The firewall mode should have no effect over Windows Updates. The firewall mode only affects shared folders and access among the network.
I'm not an expert on this, but, maybe, other information about your system (Windows events, network status yesterday, etc.) could help other to help you.
The best things in life are free.

SouthernAnCap

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
It's been going on for months, and it seems to have coincided with my switch from Microsoft Security Essentials to avast!. It could have been longer, though. I'll see if Microsoft forums can help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
We're here to help. I'm just acknowledging my lack of capacity. I do not talk for the whole team of course.

ChrisGn

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »
I've just had a problem with the free version and Windows update on my Win7 64bit PC.
The problem was with 'Security update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2653956)' and 'Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2679255).  The problem showed when re-booting - the PC showed that the system was being updated and not to switch off the PC...  and... It just stayed like that for hours until I reset my PC.  I tried this a few times...  Disabling all Avast Shields permanently and running Windows Update again cured the problem.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
I've just had a problem with the free version and Windows update on my Win7 64bit PC.
The problem was with 'Security update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2653956)' and 'Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2679255).  The problem showed when re-booting - the PC showed that the system was being updated and not to switch off the PC...  and... It just stayed like that for hours until I reset my PC.  I tried this a few times...  Disabling all Avast Shields permanently and running Windows Update again cured the problem.
No issues here for me with the windows update and avast, did you have other programs running or browsers open when doing the update ???

SouthernAnCap

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
I've never had any trouble when I opened Windows Update via the control panel and told it to install the available updates, even with the avast! Firewall and everything.

ChrisGn

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

No issues here for me with the windows update and avast, did you have other programs running or browsers open when doing the update ???

I had closed all the programs I could before running Windows Update.  I must add however that I also Use Comodo Firewall and the Pro version of Malwarebytes and that I had methodically disabled each in turn between each try of Windows Update, with Avast being the last (ie Comodo off, Comodo+Malwarebytes off, All off).  I should also say that it was only either or both of the updates that I quoted that were causing the problem... The other 5 updates installed correctly.
It would be possible, but too time consuming to re-create the problem by restoring backups of my PC prior to the updates and trying it again.   I will however (If the problem occurs again) try to determine if it really is Avast that caused the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »
Just to say: I have not a single issue installing Windows Updates with avast! running and on all the time using Windows 7 since from its release.