Author Topic: Last night's update blocks ALL eMail!!!  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Anacunga

Last night's update blocks ALL eMail!!!
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »
I assume I am not the only one that hate's it when suddenly a big bunch of email-accounts can't be checked anymore - reporting an SSL-error - even if they don't use SSL!

Cannot establish SSL with IMAP server 212.40.2.65:143, SSL_connect error 336031996

There is no SSL used within all those accounts that use that IP, and neither adding IP, nor mail-domain (vtxfree.ch, vtxmail.ch) into the expert settings of mail-shield stops the blocking! The only solution is permanently disabling mail-shield ...  >:(

That problem started with an update from last night (europe-time)!

And if we're just at that point: there is a stupid behaviour concerning adding mail servers in that list. It is not clear what the data entering order must be to add multiple servers without always having to click OK to confirm and reopening it to add another one. And sometimes if you add it, it won't persist. Really strange behaviour!

Karen May Jones

Re: Last night's update blocks ALL eMail!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
Hi, can you tell me which version this is so I can avoid it when I finally get the ability to reinstall. Thank you. I'm having problems with my avast and I dont want to add insult to injury.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
Don't know exactly, was at about 02:00h last night ...

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
Update of what exactly? 

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Don't remember ... :/

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »

Well your thread is nonsense then isn't it.

The program has not updated, definitions certainly will have but I had no issues at 22.30Hrs, 02.30Hrs, 04.30Hrs or indeed since then and I have had plenty of emails coming through.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
Well your thread is nonsense then isn't it.
No, it isn't at all!!! I can't get ANY EMAIL AT ALL with certain email accounts (gmail is working, vtx not) without turning off mail shield. It is DEFINITELY  an AVAST problem.
The program has not updated, definitions certainly will have but I had no issues at 22.30Hrs, 02.30Hrs, 04.30Hrs or indeed since then and I have had plenty of emails coming through.
Could have been a delayed install of program update (and not only virus database update); I can't exclude. But it is definitely since that update last night that this problem persists! And it's not the first time that a nightly update causes problems (the other time all running applications were considered as malware and put to chest or deleted - depending on settings); but that's quite some years ago ...

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
You need to give more information then.

What version of Windows, what version of avast including , which build number and what definitions number are you on? What other security programs do you run?

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
What version of Windows: WinXP-SP3
what version of avast: 7.0.1426 (latest)
what definitions number: 120328-1 (latest)
What other security programs do you run: none!

The problems is still there also when adding those mail-servers into the expert-settings-list in mail-shield!

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »
What email client are you using and through which provider ?

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
What email client are you using: Outlook-Express ("built in")
Through which provider? What kind of "provider" do you mean?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
What kind of "provider" do you mean?
Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, this information is just for someone to problem shoot as im not familiar with Outlook.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
What kind of "provider" do you mean?
Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, this information is just for someone to problem shoot as im not familiar with Outlook.
Sorry again? What kind of provider do you mean??? The Internetprovider I go on the net (intergga.ch - is a cable-provider) - or the email-providert (i just mentioned above (VTX; vtxfree and vtxmail) whose IP is 212.40.2.65) - but gmail is working!!! I added all of the eMail-providers in the SSL-list inside mail-shield-special-settings!!

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »
btw: I added not only both imap- and smtp-servers (vtxfree.ch and vtxmail.ch), but also the IP as entry in the mail-shield-SSL-list ... does not work either, even if I set the IP as mail-server-address inside the email-client

mrsbgwatson

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »
I have the same issue since the Avast update.  I made my Internet Provider nuts trying to resolve the issue on their end.  Disabling Avast solved the issue. Disabling just the mail shield does not resolve the issue.  I am so frustrated!  None of my mail settings have changed from the 2 years ago that I set it up.  It's not your mail clients, it is obviously the Avast update.