Author Topic: >> UPDATES <<  (Read 5810298 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: >> UPDATES <<
« Reply #5175 on: January 25, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
WinPatrol PLUS for 99 cents on January 29th starting midnight EST
The Great 99 Cent Software Experiment of 2010

Have you noticed that most of the software you’re buying these days is only 99 cents?

The traditional software industry, like many, has been hit hard by slumping economic times. At least that’s what appears to be happening. I can’t help but notice traditional software distribution is in a state of flux not unlike the media and publishing industries.
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2010/01/great-99-cent-software-experiment-of.html
Wow, I was happy to spend full price. :)  (Wonder if after 5-6 years I can ask for a refund ??? )
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

YoKenny

« Reply #5176 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
Read the blog Bob.
To all our fans who paid $29.95 I hope you’ll understand that this is just a crazy experiment and does not diminish the value of WinPatrol PLUS or how much I appreciate all your past support. This weekend I’ll evaluate the experiment and post the results.

I think its great that WinPatrol is still going strong and I do not regret spending the money on it and you can put it on all the systems you own and an update is due out soon and maybe on the same day.

Hya

« Reply #5177 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:26:54 PM by Hya »

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #5178 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
Google Chrome Releases:
Stable Channel Update

The stable channel has been updated to 4.0.249.78 for Windows, and includes the following features and security fixes (since 3.0):

• Extensions
  • Bookmark sync
  • Enhanced developer tools
  • HTML5: Notifications, Web Database, Local Storage, WebSockets, Ruby support
  • v8 performance improvements
  • Skia performance improvements
  • Full ACID3 pass, due to re-enabled remote font support (with added defense against bugs in operating system font libraries)
  • HTTP byte range support
  • New security feature: "Strict Transport Security" support
  • Experimental new anti-reflected-XSS feature called "XSS Auditor"

Security Fixes:

Please see the Chromium security page for more detail. Note that the referenced bugs may be kept private until a majority of our users are up to date with the fix.
  • [3275] Low Pop-up blocker bypass. Credit to Google Chrome Security Team (SkyLined).
  • [9877] Medium Cross-domain theft due to CSS design error. Credit to Chris Evans of the Google Security Team.
  • [12523] Medium Browser memory error with stale pop-up block menu. Credit to Jacob Balle and Carsten Eiram, Secunia Research.
  • [20450] Low Prevent XHR to directories. Credit to the Chromium development community.
  • [23693] Low Escape more characters in shortcuts. Credit to Michal Zalewski of the Google Security Team and, independently, Inferno of SecureThoughts.com.
  • [8864] [24701] [24646] High Renderer memory errors drawing on canvases. Credit to Michal Zalewski of the Google Security Team and Google Chrome Security Team (SkyLined).
  • [28566] High Image decoding memory error. Credit to Robert Swiecki of the Google Security Team.
  • [29920] Low Corner case failure to strip Referer. Credit to the Chromium development community.
  • [30666] High Cross-domain access error. Credit to Tokuji Akamine, Senior Consultant at Symantec Consulting Services.
  • [31307] High Bitmap deserialization error. Credit to Mark Dowd, under contract to Google Chrome Security Team.
  • [31517] Low Browser crash with nested URL.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #5179 on: January 26, 2010, 04:08:44 AM »
RealPlayer fixed

Experts urge users to apply a new security update for the media-playing software

http://www.virusbuster.hu/node/4079348
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5180 on: January 26, 2010, 06:43:32 AM »
SpywareBlaster database update : 1/25/2010

71 new protection items (ie).

Thanks
nmb

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #5181 on: January 26, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5182 on: January 26, 2010, 06:24:16 PM »
RealPlayer fixed

Experts urge users to apply a new security update for the media-playing software

I never liked Real Player, bloated and always wanted to take over the world as far as media types were concerned. So I switched to Real Alternative for the very rare occasions that I needed to play a real file format.

I assume (bad I know) that Real Alternative isn't effected by this if it is a real player vulnerability/exploit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alan Baxter

« Reply #5183 on: January 26, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »
I assume (bad I know) that Real Alternative isn't effected by this if it is a real player vulnerability/exploit.

I use Real Alternative too.  If the security update affects anything in Real Alternative, I expect Real Alternative will be updated too.  Whoever maintains Real Alternative seems to be pretty good about that.  The download page still carries version 2.0.1 from last October. http://www.codecguide.com/download_real.htm
I'm not worried: untrusted sites get visited in a sandbox or with plugins disabled by NoScript.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5184 on: January 26, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »
Yes, me too, firefox run under DropMyRights, with NoScript and RequestPolicy. Though I do like to keep my applications up to date when it comes to security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #5185 on: January 26, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
I hate realplayer...hyper adware I would say, I can't stand it  ;D

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #5186 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I use RealPlayer SP, not an alternative, I've tried RealAlternative and did not like it, also Real Component that come with Win7Codec Pack crash browser, I like RealPlayer (when it play online media in full screen/theater mode), I only use it for Watching Online video and listen to online audio. I use RealPlayer with custom settings (changed starting up window to now playing to get rid of their site), disabled messages and other background running components and disabled browser integration. so no more Ad-ware or bloat-ware for me..

in your eyes I look like stupid, huh?! ;) I use Adobe Reader, I use Real Player.... but for some reason I prefer official programs for everything... I use everything with it's own official programs...!!
I'm sorry about off-topic.

anyway, I did not see any update... ???

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:12:34 PM by Omid Farhang »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #5187 on: January 26, 2010, 11:38:06 PM »
An update is available to improve the stability and the reliability of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977074

Compatibility View list update in Windows Internet Explorer 8

You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Run Windows Update to get these updates.

You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Avastfan1

« Reply #5188 on: January 27, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »
I use RealPlayer SP, not an alternative, I've tried RealAlternative and did not like it, also Real Component that come with Win7Codec Pack crash browser, I like RealPlayer (when it play online media in full screen/theater mode), I only use it for Watching Online video and listen to online audio. I use RealPlayer with custom settings (changed starting up window to now playing to get rid of their site), disabled messages and other background running components and disabled browser integration. so no more Ad-ware or bloat-ware for me..

in your eyes I look like stupid, huh?! ;) I use Adobe Reader, I use Real Player.... but for some reason I prefer official programs for everything... I use everything with it's own official programs...!!
I'm sorry about off-topic.

anyway, I did not see any update... ???

Christ! Omid's idea about setting the startup to now playing works perfectly!

Real Player is so bloated and confusing. Could you please tell me exactly where in Real Player you can adjust these items?

1. "disabled message"
2. "[disabled] other background running components"
3. "disabled browser integration"

Thanks!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #5189 on: January 27, 2010, 01:26:59 AM »
Real Player is so bloated and confusing.
I don't think so!

1. "disabled message"
2. "[disabled] other background running components"
Open Real Player -> from Tools menu go to Preferences -> go to Message Centers under Automatic Services and Click on Configure Message Center, in the opened windows un-tick everything and click on OK/Yes and close message center

3. "disabled browser integration"
Open Real Player -> from Tools menu go to Preferences -> go to Downloading/Recording and un-tick this feature if you don't need it.

Thanks!
you're welcome!