Author Topic: Computer crashed/froze uninstalling Avast Security  (Read 5428 times)

topiogigio

Computer crashed/froze uninstalling Avast Security
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
My Avast Security was due to expire on 4/6 so on 4/5 I decided I'd go back to the free version for the time being and maybe upgrade later. So I tried to uninstall it...via the Remove programs. (I have XP pro SP3). I've used Avast for several years and liked it-no problems. I got as far as the thing saying the uninstall was completed (it had created a Restore Pt and I had also done this before I started) and it asked if I wanted to restart now or later (to complete removal). Understand that by this time my brain is so dead with this thing I'm not sure I even remember what I did next. I THINK I clicked on later and hit Finish. It sure did! Shut things off...when I tried to start it again, wouldn't start so went into Safe mode and went back a day.

Note: before starting all this I had downloaded ZoneAlarm and instaalled it and the Free version of Avast, ready to install later. And I went off line to do the uninstall and install. (I did not know that I should download the unstall program and use that.) About the second time I tried all this it occurred to me to just install the free version and that process would uninstall the pro version. So I did that. Got the same Done screen, restart now or later, think I did now and Finish. Back to nothingness again. After a few more times of going into Safe mode I could no longer get into Safe mode....did Enter on it and got a screen of scrolling lines of various drivers and then it just stopped. And that's all it will do now.

If I turn the computer off and on again, it will start to boot, the first Windows screen comes up, hear a click, bsod, next W screen comes up, a click and then the screen to choose how to start. can't get into safe mode, anything I click on I get a scrolling screen with a bunch of drivers and it stops and that's it. I can no longer get any further than the screen with the list of how you want to start, normally, safe mode, etc.

I am 78 years old, not a total computer newbie but not a techie like many of you. My son is my computer person and lives 60 miles away. Luckily he had loaned me an older laptop to view netflix movies on so I hooked it up (he set up a wireless network for me) and have been using it this week. He was going to come over today and use his diagnostics CD to ck it out  but they got the flu so it will be at least another week.

I have a Nero backup program--very basic I think--and had backed up my C and D drives a week or so before all this. The C drive has all the system stuff and Program files on it; the D drive all my folders. And also copied stuff from both drives onto an external HD. If he has to wipe my C drive, hopefully we can put my program files back on it. If there's a hardware problem, who knows!

I own a Yahoo list and ALL my list message archives are in the Eudora folder in Program files. I have the Eudora exe file in the folders I copied so may be able to install it on the laptop to use for now. In the meantime I'm doing email on the WOW site.

Looking at the forum and all the problems people are having with Avast, I'm not sure I want to try using Avast again. (Free version 7.0.1426 is on the laptop and so far no problems.)  Esp. the paid versions. Why pay for something if it's going to cause so many problems un/installing it! I am exhausted and discouraged by now and just want my computer back!!!

Is there anything I can do/try for now? Help!

adotd

Re: Computer crashed/froze uninstalling Avast Security
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:44 AM »
You say you cannot access safe mode can you access safe with command prompt

Anthony ;)

topiogigio

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
No, not with any of the choices. when I try any of them it starts to scroll with the list of drivers.

adotd

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
Can you post the Blue screen error here please

Anthony

topiogigio

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
I don't get a blue screen error! Just the sequence I described in my post.

adotd

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
That clicking noise, you dont hear it all the time do you? :)

topiogigio

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:10 AM »
No, only when the first two screens come up for Windows loading.

I remembered that some time early in the process there was an error msg. Something to the effect that the system had suffered a serious error...and, I think recovered. It did go on after that. While the msg was on the screen I did prnt screens of the msg, details, etc.--3 boxes, saved them in a Word doc and later didn't save them as couldn't remember what they were for! (told you I was exhausted, esp that day!) I'm trying to unhook one ext drive and hooking up the one that has the folders I'd saved and will ck to see if I did save it but I think those were saved before that msg came up. Sorry if I seem scattered.....!!!

adotd

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
I could no longer get into Safe mode....did Enter on it and got a screen of scrolling lines of various drivers and then it just stopped. And that's all it will do now.

its meant to load the drivers can you try it again and give it a while to load to see if it works please?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:23:06 AM by adotd »

topiogigio

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:33:27 AM »
Yes, I will try. How long do you want me to wait til I report back. When I did this before, the screen was up quite a while but I'll wait as long as you say I should. Thanks!

adotd

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:52 AM »
Try giving it about 5 mins and see if it works ;)

adotd

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »
Did it load? :)

topiogigio

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
10 minutes and nothing...still at drivers' screen.

adotd

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:50:45 AM »
Do you have a option when booting your pc, that is called last known good configuration

if you do go into there  8)

Troubleshooting
With the Last Known Good Configuration feature, you can recover from configuration problems such as newly installed drivers that may be incorrect for your computer's hardware. It does not correct problems that are caused by missing or corrupted drivers or files.
The Last Known Good Configuration feature uses information that is saved from the last time that you shut down your computer to restore registry settings and drivers. Therefore, you can use this feature only if you were able to start your computer successfully before you restore your computer by using the last known good configuration.
After you start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, changes that were made since the last successful startup are lost.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:53:53 AM by adotd »

adotd

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »
Can you find the last known good configuration?

if you cant

• Reboot your computer
  • keep on pressing F8
  • select last known good configuration
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:58:09 AM by adotd »

topiogigio

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:06:21 AM »
I've also tried this several times with same result. Always ends up with the Drivers screen.