Author Topic: I keep getting the same trojan just as soon as I delete it  (Read 5836 times)

Virusprone

I keep getting the same trojan just as soon as I delete it
« on: December 20, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »
Anything I do on the internet after I delete this trojan will cause it to come back. Almost as soon as I delete it, it'll come back. It's called:

polall1r.exe

It invades my C:\\Windows\TEMP\ folder and there it creates a folder that looks something like this

....\TEMP\THI737A\

In that folder will be the application, a cabinet file and a small notepad document. Just to try things out, I left it there and didn't delete it. A few moments later, in the same TEMP folder, another folder was created with the same exact stuff in it. Just with a differnet name that looked similar to THI737A. It was a slightly different folder name but with the same executable file, cabinet file and notepad file. I left it again and lo and behold, I got the same trojan but in another folder in the TEMP folder.

I deleted them all just a few minutes ago. It won't be long before it comes back. Can somebody please help me, here?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:I keep getting the same trojan just as soon as I delete it
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 05:14:52 PM »
Do you have Windows 2000/XP ? If you do,try using avast! Boot-time scan (Simple interface and right click on it)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Virusprone

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 05:17:58 PM »
No, I still use Windows 98. Anything I can use for that? I have the Virus Removal software that is specific for virus removal but it still didn't solve anything.

Spyros

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 05:24:25 PM »
No, I still use Windows 98. Anything I can use for that? I have the Virus Removal software that is specific for virus removal but it still didn't solve anything.

Do you mean you just use the avast! Virus Cleaner?
Don't you have avast! antivirus as resident scanner?

Virusprone

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 05:25:28 PM »
Yeah, I got that. I have the residency scanner on high. I've done several virus scans, they don't find anything UNTIL this trojan comes back. I have no idea how to combat this.....

Spyros

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 05:29:28 PM »
It would be good to submit the whole folder in a password protected file to virus(at)avast.com, so that they identify the virus.

Also, try submiting it to Jotti.

Exept from on-line scanners, you could also download 2 very good & free anti-trojans: ewido & a2. For the links, check my web-page.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 01:25:50 AM »
Virusprone, I don't know if it will help but you can try scan and delete it booting in Safe Mode (F8 while booting), try to clean the temporary files (Internet cache, etc.).

I don't understand if you really download avast Cleaner or not...
avast Cleaner is a standalone application that could correct (and clean) some kind of viruses. See avast webpage.

The link 'Cleaning' on my signature brings some other information.
Hope this helps.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 01:43:41 AM »
If this keeps coming back, there must be something bringing it back. So I thing that you need to run HiJackThis and see if you can find anything that will be in the registry.

HiJackThis - Eddy's Website and click the "HiJackThis Section" also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section.

You can use Eddy's hijackthis log file analyser, or if you want to try an on-line scan of your Hijackthis log file try here http://hijackthis.de/index.php
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 01:48:03 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 09:52:25 AM »
You can use Eddy's hijackthis log file analyser, or if you want to try an on-line scan of your Hijackthis log file try here http://hijackthis.de/index.php
Use both. What one doesn't know the other may know.