Author Topic: * Introducing * - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.663)  (Read 30132 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Hi *,

here I'm again. An avast Home/Pro update is coming soon and it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway ): simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes.

Fixes in this update include better WebShield compatibility (e.g. with HotMail), enhacements in the scanning engine (unpackers), minor changes in the device drivers and the ability of the Standard Shield to scan remote files even if the avast service is running under the LocalSystem account.

Any comments on this release are welcome. :)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kamulko

Maybe my question is ingenuous: why are not blocked by default the visual basic files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Fixes in this update include better WebShield compatibility (e.g. with HotMail), enhacements in the scanning engine (unpackers), minor changes in the device drivers and the ability of the Standard Shield to scan remote files even if the avast service is running under the LocalSystem account.
Vlk, any changes into the help files and GUI? Translation will be necessary?  8)
The best things in life are free.

MFB

Wonderful, I love the beta version, do I still need to do that manual proxy configuration witht he webshield?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Will chest submission mechanism be fixed in this release?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hopismum

Installed it earlier today.   All is working fine..   Win XP Home here,  Segate Firewall..   Webshield now works fine for me..  happy camper

galooma

Hi team, I loaded the beta an hour or so back then went away after rebooting thinking all was well.
I came back to find a problem i had experienced before but not investigated properly(last time i just reloaded Avast! and the problem was fixed). See attached pic , you will notice that standard sheild is set on high and while scanning M$ antispy log error files the cpu was having a hard time,must have taken 8-10 minutes just for that file. on further investigation i have noticed M$ antispy log error file to be 90mb which seems a little big?
I have since sent sensitivity back to normal until someone identifies a problem for me  :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Cloussau: I'd say it's rather a problem of MS AntiSpyware which is writing into the log file like crazy (at least that's what came up from Google - some people reported the errors.log file to be gigabytes in size). You can try to put the file into the list of Standard Shield exclusions.

RejZoR: I hope so... you are welcome to check, of course ;)

Tech: No, no GUI/help changes. They are certainly planned, but didn't make it into this release.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!

Have had pre-release version  (4.6.663) running for about 2 hours now working like a charm

Still same old problem with ZA privacy settings but I won't get into that right now Avast AV

running smoothly
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

cvsa

works fine for me .

Still no script blocking for mozilla firefox ?  ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Sounds great. Especially part with unpackers. Can you tell us what has been improved regarding unpackers... Any new supported or just old ones improved? (i'm an AV g33k,i must know all details hehe). Just installed new beta... gotta restart ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

artamangr

Hi!
Will the webshield, in the new release, support the new netscape 8 browser?
Cheers!

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Hi!
Will the webshield, in the new release, support the new netscape 8 browser?
Cheers!

Yes as do the previous versions. Why are you asking, do you have any problems with Netscape8 and WebShield?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Can you tell us what has been improved regarding unpackers... Any new supported or just old ones improved? (i'm an AV g33k,i must know all details hehe).

Well, if you really have to know... ;D
- UPX support has been extended to new versions (1.9x) and various modified versions
- new supported packers are FSG, MEW & PE Diminisher

artamangr

Hi again.
I haven't installed netscape 8 yet...i was just wondering whether webshield will support it. I dont want to use a browser that webshield does not support. But it seems, according to your message, that the current version already supports it so i will go ahead and install it.
Cheers!