Avast 6 has now been officially released (as version 6.0.1000).
Thanks for anyone who helped testing!!
I'm glad to announce the availability of a new avast 6 pre-release build.
Edit: now updated to version 6.0.992 - a release candidate.
How to get it
How to install it
Just run the setup executable (links above). This version can be installed on top of your existing avast installation (4.x/5.x/6.x). Also if you are already running a previous build of avast 6, you can use the built-in program updater.
What's new in avast 6
- AutoSandbox – suspicious programs will be optionally run sandboxed
- avast! WebRep – browser plugin for website reputation rating; a combination of data from our virus lab and community voting
- Script Shield now even in the Free AV
- Site Blocking now even in the Free AV
- SafeZone – a special virtualized area for sensitive transactions (e.g. secure online banking) (paid products only)
- Restore factory settings command (Settings -> Troubleshooting)
- Automatic actions in the boot-time scan
- New compression method in the installer makes the setup packages about 20% smaller.
- Script Shield now functional even with IE8/IE9 Protected Mode
- Sidebar gadget
- Improved stability/compatibility of the Behavior Shield
- Improvements in the avast! sandbox
What's new in beta build 986
pretty much all the bugs from the previous beta builds should be solved now, with the following exceptions:
- Firewall: uTorrent conflict not yet fully resolved
- Firewall: packet rules for applications still don't support ASK and AUTO-DECIDE actions properly.
- Incorrect context-menu handling in SafeZone
- Other small visual issues in SafeZone
What's new in beta build 989
- improved update from v5.x (Security Center registration, installation of WebRep plugins, installation of the gadget, ...)
- improvements in the SafeZone (e.g. the Turn off command on 64-bit Windows, flash in the SafeZone browser , Alt+Tab processing etc)
- fixes in the gadget (especially on Vista)
- Welcome screen not shown by default anymore
- fixes in the Outlook plugin
What's new in RC build 992
- fixed the USB Safe Removal issue
- WebRep should now work in IE 64-bit (but IE9 RC 64-bit has some issues with Behavior Shield)
- SafeZone: fixed a crash issue when pressing F1 on the desktop
- SafeZone: improved isolation
- improved installation/uninstallation of the gadget
Note: WebRep is currently available only for IE and Firefox (Chrome is coming soon).
BTW instead of bloating this thread, please start a new topic and/or join an existing one describing the issue you want to discuss.