Author Topic: Stuck at Please wait...  (Read 49746 times)

VCW

Re: Stuck at Please wait...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Install the latest Service Pack for Vista.
Make sure to uninstall any remnants from the old AV you have been using.

Done and done, prior to experiencing the first example of this issue. 

Avast support appears to be stuck on "Please wait..." on this issue.
What was the previous antivirus software installed on the systems?
Do you use user folder redirection?
Same problem happening here..

Most of our clients were using avast! version 4 previously.
All of our clients use user folder redirection for My Documents.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »

Same problem happening here..

Most of our clients were using avast! version 4 previously.
All of our clients use user folder redirection for My Documents.
Try adding the \\* in the File System shield expert settings and enabling the 'Load avast! services after loading other system services' option in the program settings(top-right SETTINGS button > Troubleshooting).

nannunannu

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 05:47:53 PM »

CA eTrustITM 8.1 - altough I'm wondering if for the purposes of this question the previous version should be considered "avast  business protection 6..." which was the version prior to v7 that is experincing the please wait issue.  If avast 6 is the issue, no we relied upon it's ability to upgrade itself and did not perform a full rip and replace upgrade between 6 and 7...

Yes, we redirect my documents and appdata.

... and enabling the 'Load avast! services after loading other system services' option in the program settings(top-right SETTINGS button > Troubleshooting).

and...  the load after other services option was previously tested to have no impact on the issue...  Unless somehow that can work in tandem with the network path exlusion you suggest.  ??
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:51:31 PM by nannunannu »

nannunannu

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
Try excluding the \\* in the File System shield expert settings

By the way...  This seems a little dangerous to me as a solution for people who redirect shell folders.  You are allowing the file system sheild to be bypassed potentially for the following list of locations in the user profile:

Application Data
Desktop
My Documents folder
My Pictures folder
Start menu

In my travels I know I've seen malicous code in at least 4 out of 5 of those locations.  anyone reading this thread wants to consider it carefully before making changes.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »
Try excluding the \\* in the File System shield expert settings

By the way...  This seems a little dangerous to me as a solution for people who redirect shell folders.  You are allowing the file system sheild to be bypassed potentially for the following list of locations in the user profile:

Application Data
Desktop
My Documents folder
My Pictures folder
Start menu

In my travels I know I've seen malicous code in at least 4 out of 5 of those locations.  anyone reading this thread wants to consider it carefully before making changes.
Yes it is dangerous as every exclusions you add in the software..
It's not a solution, but a basic troubleshooting step for finding the root of the problem.

Regarding your comment above for the previous antivirus:
Are you sure that the CA is fully uninstalled from the system? I would suggest you to check the loaded drivers, modules and services under the 'Software Environment' branch of the MS System Information Utility(msinfo32).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:31:49 PM by Avosec-UK »

nannunannu

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Yes it is dangerous as every exclusions you add in the software..

If your exclusions are typically a {R}{W}{E} wildcard to a user writable path on the file system.  Sure.  :)

Regarding your comment above for the previous antivirus:
Are you sure that the CA is fully uninstalled from the system? I would suggest you to check the loaded drivers, modules and services under the 'Software Environment' branch of the MS System Information Utility(msinfo32).

Yes.  It's gone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:18:40 PM by nannunannu »

InMyName

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
Just like to add that we have roughly the same problem. Started last summer when we upgraded from Avast Pro to EPS. Only affects Windows 7 64bit PCs, 32 bit PCs do not show this problem at all.

Happens when Windows updates get installed. Each month with get between 10 and 25 PCs that get stuck at the configuring Windows Updates. It is never the same PCs, although some will suffer again after a few months.

Sometimes a number of restarts will resolve. Sometimes just booting into safe mode and restarting will fix it - but usually the only way is to disable the Avast shields, then install the updates and then re-enable the shields. If I can only get in via safe mode then I will just uninstall Avast and then reinstall after the updates have completed.

Going to keeping watching this thread for a fix as it is getting to be a right PITA. We have over 200 PCs in total of which 150 are 64bit..

JPaul

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
I checked with support when we saw the problem and basically got no where.  I sent them links to the discussions in the forums that other customers are having the same problem.  They indicated the problem was "very rare" and arent sure if it was avast or something conflicting with avast.  If I was the only one with the problem, I would say maybe it was something unique to our environment, but with so many people with the same problem, I don't think that is the case. 

InMyName

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 04:30:28 PM »
JPaul

Just in case you haven't seen it have a look at this post;

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=105474.msg891046#msg891046

by 1tb. I forgot to mention in my previous post that we went from Avast Pro > Avast Business > Avast EPS. So 1tb's comment fits in with what we are experiencing. I've tried 1tb's solution on a couple of PCs to see if it resolves.

JPaul

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
JPaul

Just in case you haven't seen it have a look at this post;

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=105474.msg891046#msg891046

by 1tb. I forgot to mention in my previous post that we went from Avast Pro > Avast Business > Avast EPS. So 1tb's comment fits in with what we are experiencing. I've tried 1tb's solution on a couple of PCs to see if it resolves.

I saw that, but in the case of of us, did not have a previous version of avast on the machines.  We had another av, but it was completely removed.

nannunannu

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
Saw v8 on several home machines.   Any chance the new release will fix this issue (whenever it is released to the business customers)?

VCW

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
Saw v8 on several home machines.   Any chance the new release will fix this issue (whenever it is released to the business customers)?
From what I understand, avast! still isn't acknowledging it as a problem.

nannunannu

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
From what I understand, avast! still isn't acknowledging it as a problem.

You can say the sun rotates around the earth all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

MisuVir

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »
I've been having a similar issue. When a user tries to log in, it does one of:
  • Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL makes the "press CTRL-ALT-DEL to log in" text disappear, but the username/password prompt doesn't appear.
  • Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL gives the username/password prompt, but the user then gets stuck at "Welcome..."

Event viewer shows errors from system services timing out. Disabling Avast in safe mode fixes the problem. Reinstalling Avast sometimes fixes it. As these machines are almost constantly used for development, I can't have them unavailable for long periods so I've resorted to uninstalling Avast and installing MSSE on them.

I'd love to have a proper fix for this that doesn't involve constantly reinstalling Avast or installing another product. All the affected machines are running Windows 7. I've just this morning had this occur on my laptop - unable to log in as it gets stuck at "Welcome". Rebooted into safe mode a few times to try to get it working without reinstalling, but so far the only thing that lets me log in is disabling the "avast! Antivirus" service.

brianeme

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
On my network, I've had this happen about 8 times already.  I've always solved it by going to Safe Mode and uninstalling avast, restarting, reinstalling avast and restarting again to finish the installation.  I'll have to try the delayed services trick.  But this problem is bigger when you have servers at a remote location you need to restart and the server could hang as it happened to me once already.  Avast support - FIX THIS ISSUE!