Author Topic: Stuck at Please wait...  (Read 49833 times)

Offline Bassmaster

Re: Stuck at Please wait...
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »
I've had this issue happen sporadically on various windows 7 computers.  It does tend to happen more frequently around patch Tuesday updates.  Its not related to folder redirection, roaming profiles, etc because the "Please Wait" issue occurs prior to the user ever getting the Control Alt Delete screen to log in.  Those policies are normally  applied after the login.  You should not have to disable avast, or run a repair to get past this nuisense problem that Avast needs to resolve.  2 things that always have worked for me.  1. Log in using Safe mode with networking.  And do a system restore back to the latest restore point.  After the reboot, the system should boot up normally.

2. Another option that works for me is to again login in using safe mode, but login in locally with the local admin account (needs to be enabled prior to trying this when system is functioning normally) Go to MSConfig and choose diagnostic start up-reboot.  Boot back into safe mode and login locally again and go to MSConfig and now select normal startup.  The PC should reboot and start normally again.

paradox183

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
What about roaming profiles?

Don't use those either.

Its not related to folder redirection, roaming profiles, etc because the "Please Wait" issue occurs prior to the user ever getting the Control Alt Delete screen to log in.

Most of the time it happens at "Please Wait...", but occasionally the user will press Ctrl-Alt-Del, enter their username/password, and then get stuck at "Welcome".

Michael Due

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
What really really #"¤"#¤#%  me off is the lack of responses from an Avast official.

Gues they dont #"¤"#¤"#4! For people who's been loyal customers for over 6 years.

Never ever ever recommending this product again!!!!! and i used to do it all the time in my last 10+ years as IT Admin to personal and company use.

And i usually never flame forums believe it or not, so above statement all though crude and childl'ish is just a symbol of how FRUSTRATED we are with you or should i say the LACK of you and your responses Avast!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:10:21 PM by Michael Due »

drace1111

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
For the record, I can list some things that this problem is NOT related to:

- Folder redirection (we don't use it)

What about roaming profiles?

We're not using roaming profiles, so it's not related to that either.  Other than folder redirection, everything that paradox183 listed is true for us as well.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
Okay guys, can you do following:
  • Select a machine which has the problem.
  • Boot into safe mode.
  • Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\" or "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\" depending on the OS.
  • Open the "FileSystemShield.ini" and find the "ProviderEnabled" setting and set it to "0".
  • Open services and disable the "avast! Net Client Service" or "avast! Enterprise Client Service" services.
  • Reboot the machine in normal mode and report here.

If the machine boots up normally:
  • Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\" or "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\" depending on the OS.
  • Open the "FileSystemShield.ini" and change the following settings:
    • "ProviderEnabled" to "1".
    • "ReportName" to "fs"
    • "ReportRecords" to "Infected;HardErrors;SoftErrors;OK;Skipped"
  • Reboot the machine.
  • Try to login.
    If you you were able to login:
    • Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report" or "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report" depending on the OS and get the fs.txt file.
    Else:
    • Boot into safe mode
    • Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report" or "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report" depending on the OS and get the fs.txt file.
  • Attach the fs.txt file here in your next reply.

Offline PetrP

• Avast team
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
Hello,

we still cannot reproduce this issue, but we are looking into it. Sorry for the inconvenience!

One idea is to disable the sandbox driver.
Execute the following command from cmd (start cmd as administrator with disabled avast self-defense):

sc config aswsnx start= demand

Which will block aswsnx to load.
Or/and, you can try to rename aswsnx.sys under Windows\system32\drivers\..

Let me know if it helps.

Offline 1tb

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
.  2 things that always have worked for me.  1. Log in using Safe mode with networking.  And do a system restore back to the latest restore point.  After the reboot, the system should boot up normally.

Try doing this on a production server!

Dewg

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
I've had a massive problem with this today - dozens of computers.

Has anyone tried the following:

Go into the Avast console.  Edit the configuration of the catalog/group.  Go go Policies: avast! Antivirus.  Go to the Troubleshooting section.  There is a checkbox "Load avast! services only after loading other system services".  If you check that box, does it solve the problem of the "Please Wait" ?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
I've had a massive problem with this today - dozens of computers.

Has anyone tried the following:

Go into the Avast console.  Edit the configuration of the catalog/group.  Go go Policies: avast! Antivirus.  Go to the Troubleshooting section.  There is a checkbox "Load avast! services only after loading other system services".  If you check that box, does it solve the problem of the "Please Wait" ?

yes its been tried and no it does not usually help
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Dewg

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 01:35:10 AM »
Now that 8.0 has been out for a while - has anyone who's upgraded to it found the Please Wait problem go away?

brianeme

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »
We upgraded to 8.0 but left the avast! Enterprise Client Service as Automatic (Delayed Start), I haven't had a chance to test with this service set back to just Automatic on Windows 7/2008 systems yet.  Anyone else test this with 8.0?

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
I've not seen the Please Wait issue re-occur once we upgraded to version 8.  Hopefully this is now resolved!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
No issues here since the upgrade to v8.0.x  :D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

nannunannu

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »
No issues here since the upgrade to v8.0.x  :D

Didn't want to jinx it, but I think enough time has passed...  Issue seems to be solved here as well.  :)

Ditto for the hard lock every time you access a unc path with sufficient numbers of files to scan.

cairol220

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
Sorry to slow down your euphoria, but this issue still exists with version 8. We had a customer complained about 2 PCs with windows updates freezing at 51%, who had never any problems with that back in version 4 for years.

Support tells us, this is not an avast-related issue since virusprotection is not active in this state of the boot process. Strangeways we always did the following: turn off the pc, restart in safe mode, uninstall avast, reboot, install windows updates, reinstall avast. Not a real solution but it works and the customer can continue with his work.

But we'd really like to solve this annoying issue since we discover freezed pcs while installing windows updates every month.