Author Topic: ASWMBR rootkit scanner shouldn't be relied on  (Read 7134 times)

Offline astro46

ASWMBR rootkit scanner shouldn't be relied on
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:32:12 PM »
i used aswmbr, an avast rootkit scanner, to scan my laptop. it told me that i had a rootkit in mbr, and numerous td3 entries.  Even i had no particular events to tell me that rootkits were active, but i assumed that it knew how to identify them.  i let it "fix" them.  big mistake.  when it rebooted i found icons missing, rearranged, numerous settings changed, and avast av not running, telling me that license had expired. eventually i figured out that aswmbr had mistakenly identified a legitimate program, rollbackrx (used to take snapshots of current computer states, to allow rollback, in case something goes wrong, eg, like using aswmbr).  it had set my computer back to 2011, the first time rollbackrx was installed, and then left rollbackrx broken, so that i can't get it back to before using aswmbr.  any changes in programs, data, or settings, over the last year are gone.

if you are going to use this program, you had best be convinced that whatever your current state is, is worse than, whatever aswmbr may do to it.

Offline gingir

Re: ASWMBR rootkit scanner shouldn't be relied on
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »
I don't understand this negative feedback on aswMBR.

I use it and never had a problem.

Offline True Indian

• Malware Hunter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • A Good Old Indian!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »
The tool was made to be used only by people who know how to use it LOL I mean experts and not for the average user who doesnt know what to click Fix or Fix MBR.

Honestly,I never use this tool for malware removal it can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.No fault of the tool its the fault of the user who used it even after some early warnings by our malware removers in our forums of using tools randomly which can brick things up.

Offline Arnold72

• Poster
  • RIP.Jay "padre" Miner.(May 31, 1932 – June 20, 19
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »
If this tool is for "expert" users then what on earth is it doing being available for the average user.
Its interesting that avast is designed to "prevent" rootkit installation and yet a tool is available for after the infection.

Thanks.
Avast Free V9.0.2006.||Comodo Firewall 6.3||Sandboxie.||SUA.||Firefox Web Browser.

Offline True Indian

• Malware Hunter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • A Good Old Indian!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »
If this tool is for "expert" users then what on earth is it doing being available for the average user.
Its interesting that avast is designed to "prevent" rootkit installation and yet a tool is available for after the infection.

Thanks.

I mean the tool should NOT be used when you dont know how to use it plus this tool isnt available in the wold where most avast users see it...most avast users dont even know about it people who know about this tool is when they see it when they come on the forums.

Plus,you know what..there is no antivirus program providing 100% protection against rootkits (or any other malware) because rootkits change everyday.I think you being a a above the normal user mark should know this dont you  ::)

Stop your flame baiting replies,its not going to get you anywhere,if you are here then try to get help and give responses from your side for the help you get or try to help others.