Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233770 times)

ys_hasan

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
It took me some minutes to find all those tweaks I was familiar with in AVAST! 7 but I have two remarks so far:
1. I would have liked to see at the "home" screen details about virus definition version and program version.
2. On scanning a computer running Windows Vista (32-bit), version 8 reports several archive files, password protected, it could not scan. I am okay with that, but version 7 did not report about such files so the scan log was clean. In that aspect, the new version reminds me of AVAST! 4...

Thank you so much for keeping improving the best antivirus there exists!!!!

lord ami

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Upgraded from v7 to v8 on XP SP3 without any problems.
I knew this PC had some toolbars etc, so I tried Browser cleanup. It worked like a charm! Resetted search provider/homepage + removed 3 toolbars/addons :)

I start to like it. I just wish it displays "alerts" about unwanted browser additions from time to time. General users just don't know avast! has that ability and would most likely never use it.

hake

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »
The tyranny of the Metro UI.  Style compromises function and usability.  Wish I could resize the window.  I also think that the realtime v8 is less sprightly than v7.  I don't much care about scan speeds.

Cister

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
Hello all,
Avast 8 is great and everything is going well. Gui is wonderfull on AIS (Black).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
On scanning a computer running Windows Vista (32-bit), version 8 reports several archive files, password protected, it could not scan.
Archive files and password protected files are just that. These files are by nature inert and pose no harm.
Password protected files are protected for a reason. Many are protected for security reasons by the authors for obvious reasons. avast protects their software using a multi-layered password protection.

If you get a lot of "file cannot be scanned" messages try using the default settings. I use the default settings and have not seen any such messages for several years.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
The tyranny of the Metro UI.  Style compromises function and usability.  Wish I could resize the window.  I also think that the realtime v8 is less sprightly than v7.  I don't much care about scan speeds.

You are starting from scratch as far as using the Persistent cache so it takes time to build that up and improve scan speeds (and yes they do improve), you can also find the first couple of times using the new scan files as they are stored on disk feature does after a while also contribute to improved scan speeds.

I ran three Quick scans and three Full System scans right off the bat with these settings and they did improve. When compared with my previous scan logs (I did an update from avast7 to 8.0.1482 on my win7 system), so it did retain my old logs and they were much quicker on the Quick scan (what I normally use) 9min 01sec for 11.6GB of data after the tweak of settings and these new settings, my last Quick scan was 5min 49sec for 11.7GB. Now this is a win7 starter edition netbook it isn't a power system.

- Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit), 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »
For those that do not like the metro style (me included) then have Avast open with security tab as foremost

Minkiesmum

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
I'm struggling as I get an error message from my Windows Vista PC's security centre. I am not sure what you look after and what you don't but under "spyware and other malware protection" that is ticked fine and running. But under "virus protection" it's highlighted red and say Avast Antivirus Reports are turned off" and when I hit turn it on now it flashes up an option screen and I hit 'yes, I trust this programme' and nothing at all happens.
So am I safe right now ? It scares the pants off me when there's a red alert !!!
Thanks guys for all the hard work and for keeping it free. It's a massive help.

Lynda~
:-\

true indian

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
Minkiesmum,I request you to start your own topic in this part of the forum so you dont get overlooked here.

some_user

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
I hate it.
It's not on my phone so why emulate some phone touch screen slide crap ?
(No, i'll never buy win8 or anything alike for personal use).
And why does every virusscanner (so any brand) need to bloat after it's getting a bit of success ?
I didn't ask Avast to check for updates on every and all software installed, or browser plugins/toolbars.
Most of those softwares have their own update utility and checks built in.
I don't need the virusscanner to scan for updates of other sofware, slowing down my system by continuous scanning for those updates.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
I didn't ask Avast to check for updates on every and all software installed, or browser plugins/toolbars.
Most of those softwares have their own update utility and checks built in.
If you do not want those elements you can uninstall them by going to Control Panel > Add remove (programs and features)
Select Avast
Select Change and uninstall what you do not want
They do not slow the system down even when running

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
It's not on my phone so why emulate some phone touch screen slide crap ?
(No, i'll never buy win8 or anything alike for personal use).
Many people use tablets. I'd imagine that the old interface wasn't very touch-screen friendly.
If you don't like Windows 8, then that's fine. You can stay with Windows 7/Vista/XP/whatever it may be.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Kilia

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »
Tried it and don't really care for it......just a personal opinion, of course, but I prefer Version 7 and will continue to use it. I don't need or want a lot of the new features...a good example is the firewall.....I have one that works perfectly. Also, I dont like the new GUI at all. I'm used to Version 7 and REALLY like it's layout. Not to mention the fact that I don't like ANYTHING about Windows 8 or it's "look". I still use XP with service pack 3 and it run's like a charm on 3 flight simulators and everything else. Of course I DO know how to maintain the machine and that means a LOT  ;) That's my 2 cents...LOL

Radioman
Same here Radioman. This 72 year old bird can't cope with the new one. Will stay on 7.

Well after a couple of Avast! screen nags to upgrade upon boot up, I thought I had dismissed them and still on ver 7, but when I opened up my Avast! program later, lo and behold I had ver 8!

After watching various videos on ver 8 and reading more about it, I still don't like or need the the ver 8 "extras", so will not touch them.

ps..good job anyways, Avast!

JeffChao284

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 05:21:11 PM »
Well version 8 is compatable with Windows 2000 SP4, there are 2 bugs that seem to have risen from this version, yet it involves the The ScRegSetValueExW error, but to make note of the Bug it also Corrupts the Event Viewer "System Log" and disables MMC.exe to access the Services Consule which is not normal of Avast, although because NT 5.0 is being fully discontinued this June for support, I figure this bug might not be corrected.

Otherwise than that, it's scanners are more improved, even in the Boot up mode.

Minkiesmum

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »
Minkiesmum,I request you to start your own topic in this part of the forum so you dont get overlooked here.

Thanks for that heads-up. Will do X