Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233754 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
Just what I need. Another program to nag me about updates of flash. I turned off that stupid thing but it turns itself right back on.
I update flash and 10 minutes later avast is telling me to update it again. What rubbish.
Every virus protection program started out small and efficient. Everyone turned into bloatware. Avast is doing the same thing.
It's time to go find another small efficient program that simply does what we expect an anti virus program to do.
I don't need virus protection that also does the washing and ironing.

Do Not like the software Updater.  I want to permanently disable it.

Then read this post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116699.msg906358#msg906358.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

westmaha

« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
I would like to get back v.7! This version has trouble written all over. I had a Custom Scan, and v.8 placed Quick Scan as Default. I started, manually, my Custom scan, and I wanted to stop the Quick Scan. I had to enter my password dozen times to do anything! I was doing automatic scan every day, except for Saturday, and that option was gone.
 I had to complete my Custom scan to get back the default, but scheduling was gone!. I had to reselect files to be able to reschedule, and god knows what or how.
 I had replaced the overly bulky AVG with Avast, but now Avast is trying to put everything in which I don't want. I had a Firewall, and Avast seems to have blocked it. I started the update to v.8 without knowing what would happen,and wish I had not. One more whim, and this program is gone! (if it lets me)

BeenThere-DoneThat

« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
Another decent software company jumping on the tile bandwagon so they look like windows 8, or also to make their customers think their constantly updating their product.

I purchased avast internet security because it's a fantastic antivirus.

I had come to know where eveything was located and could get what I needed done very quickly.

Now There's a whole new GUI and I have to relearn where everything is.

I'M DONE WITH AVAST AND WONT EVER USE IT AGAIN, free or otherwise.

Take your software and shovit.

[EDIT] This is why so many people hate Microsoft, because their always making their customers have to relearn the user interface. just upgrade and add to your product, dont change the way people have to navigate.

I created this forum account to let the powers that be here at AVAST know my thoughts on this subject, I never had a reason to post here until now.

I refuse to have to relearn something I shouldn't have to. As I said above, you've lost me as customer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:09:26 PM by BeenThere-DoneThat »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
Hmm GUI more important than security ?

Offline superhyoga

« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »
Hello:

My doubt is as I make the avast 8 maximized. In the Avast 7 (and previous) in a corner there were 3 classic buttons of any window of windows (to minimize, to maximize and to close), but since it does one days I updated to avast 8, I have realized that the button of maximizing has been eliminated and only I have the option to minimize and to close.

I have tried to look in options for some option, thinking that perhaps, they it had concealed the button and it could extract it again, but I have not obtained anything.

If it is that it has been eliminated, I would like that in the next update of the program you were recovering it

Also I would like knowing if it is possible to put the black skin that I have seen in some photos of the versions beta and RC of avast 8, or it is an exclusive skin for the payment version.

I hope that you could help me.

Thanks.
Superhyoga.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
1. Another decent software company jumping on the tile bandwagon so they look like windows 8, or also to make their customers think their constantly updating their product.

2. I purchased avast internet security because it's a fantastic antivirus.

3. I had come to know where eveything was located and could get what I needed done very quickly.

Now There's a whole new GUI and I have to relearn where everything is.
<snip>

1. I'm probably one of the most vocal of the anti win8 Metro Tiled interface, but for heavens sake I'ts one page (the Home page), after that no tiles.

2. Avast is still a fantastic antivirus, that hasn't changed.

3. The UI isn't that complex and doesn't take long to get familiar with.
####
New avast! 8 layout - Once you get past the Win8 Metro style tiled Home page of the UI, the avast innards are pretty much the same.

Spend a little time browsing the User Interface it isn't that complex, with two main areas:
1. 'Security' with three sections. The Summary section is a summary of all of your shields. The Antivirus section  dealing with all of the Scans and the Shields. The Tools section any additional Tools you have installed.

2 'Maintenance' which is much the same as it was before, Updates, Registration, Virus Chest, Remote Assistance, About avast! but now includes the Scan Logs.

The Support and Settings sections remains very much as it was, with some minor changes.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
Excellen. All my little annoyances have vanished.
Memory usage is down, disk access is gone and Chrome is again the
great browser it once was. Excellent update.
Thanks Vlk and the rest of the Avast team. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
I DON'T WANT CHROME.
It's optional, and Chrome is currently the most popular browser.
-> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
No, it wasn't optional.  Had it been optional, I wouldn't have said it didn't ask.  It just installed.  No option.
Yes I know Chrome is popular, doesn't mean you have the right to force it down my throat.  Tried it, didn't like it, deleted it.  At least have the courtesy to ask me if I want other crap installed before you install it.

I never said that I would "force it down your throat". I am merely implying that Chrome is the most popular browser. As for the "it wasn't optional" portion of your statement, there is an opt-out in the installer. Maybe you did not see it?

~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline iggy67

« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
EDIT: Comment deleted
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:16:47 PM by iggy67 »

spywar

« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »
Version 8 SUCKS!!!!  >:( I want version 7 back or I'm switching to AVG.
I don't think devs would appreciate such a comment ... BTW, you can still use V7 why complaining ?

spywar

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »

Very helpful, I guess you don't want any help then.

If you do, then please start your own new topic and we will try and help.

Kilia

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2013, 01:55:53 AM »
Have fun... ::)
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2013, 07:06:41 AM »
Also I would like knowing if it is possible to put the black skin that I have seen in some photos of the versions beta and RC of avast 8, or it is an exclusive skin for the payment version.

Yes, the black skin is in the paid versions.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gary Hall

« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
i registered just to post this

i absolutely HATE windows 8 and the metro tile system. its ugly and i dont want a tablet touch OS on my pc ( who has a touch screen monitor?) avast 8 looks just like windows 8, ugly

i apologize if this comes across as being rude but there was nothing wrong with the old UI and i hate that everyone is  trying to copy the new UI. its great for windows phone and tablets but not for the pc so please stop trying to push tiles on me.

also please tell me if there is a way to have to version 7 ui with the new updates
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:17:52 PM by Gary Hall »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
i registered just to post this

i absolutely HATE windows 8 and the metro tile system. its ugly and i dont want a tablet touch OS on my pc ( who has a touch screen monitor?) avast 8 looks just like windows 8, ugly

i apologize if this comes across as being rude but there was nothing wrong with the old UI and i hate that everyone is trying to copy the new UI. its great for windows phone and tablets but not for the pc so please stop trying to push tiles on me.

also please tell me if there is a way to have to version 7 ui with the new updates
It's quite obvious you know nothing about Windows 8 as there are options to not even see the metro screen if you don't want it, the same goes for avast where the tile are only on the home screen so leaving avast on the security tab means you don't have to see the tiles :) how often do you stare at your AV anyway? it's not there for looks ::)

I would also caution you with your language as this is a public forum which is inhabited regularly by minor's.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:19:25 PM by Vlk »