Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233787 times)

Offline gab4moi

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »
 ???

Well that was weird...

I decided to wait a while after reading about glitches and even horror stories with XP Pro SP 3 32 bit systems, and the threads about dodgy issues with the software updater, but after opening the interface to see what the latest program update alert was, the program update started to download of its own accord!  Thinking, oh, what the hell, if it freaks I will do a clean system reinstall and think of alternatives like AVG (dear god forbid!) I let it complete, rebooted, hit the finalise update popup screen, and was a bit surprised to see Version 8.0.1483 when it had said it was updating to the last version of 7.  After looking at the meh Windows 8 wannabee interface and agreeing that it seems a bit weird to have a failed desktop OS UI clone as my new startup Avast UI, I clicked on a few options, including switching off the software Updater auto update option, and then using it manually to update quicktime, VLC and a few non essential programs (I keep java, adobe, windows et al updated) I rebooted and waited for all hell to break loose. 

Well, a few days now and all is quiet on the free Avast front, definition updates aok, software updates 100% green, no impact on any pc functions that I can detect, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones?  Still am a bit annoyed that the thing downloaded itself against all my Avast program settings instructions, but seeing as I let it roll, I guess I can live with the UI if the protection is as good as ever.  Oh, and no weekly updating and scanning clashes with my free malwarebytes either as far as I can tell.

A bit bemused by the whole episode but no disasters here...

Kilia

« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
@gab4moi

"...but after opening the interface to see what the latest program update alert was, the program update started to download of its own accord! "

This is how it happened to me too on WinXP. I just thank God that all went well.

comdoc

« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2013, 05:26:04 AM »
It sucks!  OtShot nag at startup drives me crazy.  It's like a virus, I remove it and it comes right back.  How can I go back to version 7?

tortoise

« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
I like the option to"remove annoying browser toolbars".  The only annoying toolbar was the one that Avast installed without asking.  Hijacking the home page was also an added extra.  Easily fixed but why do they insist on annoying us every time?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »
I like the option to"remove annoying browser toolbars".  The only annoying toolbar was the one that Avast installed without asking.  Hijacking the home page was also an added extra.  Easily fixed but why do they insist on annoying us every time?
Learn to use the custom install whenever you install any program:)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

tortoise

« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
Learn to use the custom install whenever you install any program:)
It didn't occur to me to do so but I will next time...

.. although there may not be a next time with this software because it's nagging me to upgrade things when I'd already turned that option off.  That's very annoying.  If I can't go back to the previous version then I shall look for another AV.

Phil_66

« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
Since the new version all my sites are blocked, even the domain names on which I did not yet upload webpages. I would like to go back to the previous version. It is blocking my debugging work...

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
I have replied in your other topic.. Without knowing what website you are talking about we can not do any checks

Mysterian

« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2013, 03:17:30 AM »
Avast is gone. Had some bad issues with 7, but hung in there. 8 got to point of freezing websites while browsing. I posted several times here in forum, but guess there was no real answer.On phone with support they said there would be no updating if I went back to 7. So now have a different antivirus, and I  advised Avast to a lot of people, some are as unhappy as I. Change is the only constant.

Offline cheater87

« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2013, 07:12:53 AM »
Can't block sites at all with the site self blocking feature of Avast with this new version.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
Can't block sites at all with the site self blocking feature of Avast with this new version.

You need to give information to help determine why. Better still a link to an existing topic (or create one) that you have about this.

Otherwise this post and any subsequent replies get buried in this massive topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »

You need to give information to help determine why. Better still a link to an existing topic (or create one) that you have about this.

Otherwise this post and any subsequent replies get buried in this massive topic.

He is talking about this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=118474.msg914603#msg914603

cipzah

« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Unfortunatelly I must revisit this because it is really annoying. The software updater from Avast cannot be deactivated
Every time the computer is restarting the service is starting by itself. Sorry but this is not normal behaviour. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
You need to uninstall it .. See here http://youtu.be/SV0RudVXY8M

cipzah

« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
This is what I was looking for. Thank You!!