Poll

Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?

Yes
Never at all.
No (I'd like layered defense)
No (I'd rather use other application)

Author Topic: Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?  (Read 13640 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:00:48 PM »
If a spyware application resident like SpywareBlaster or on-demmand as SpyBot (or Ad-aware) works with signatures.
If this spyware application can monitors some Windows Registry keys and startup menus (like TeaTimer or Ad-watch).

If avast has providers for resident and monitoring and an engine for scanning.
If avast Cleaner could repair and remove infections.

Why can't avast! replace any anti-spyware application?   ::)

Please, post comments here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11726.0
(You must vote to see the results  ;D).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »
I think that we need to more clearly define exactly what we would like it to do. If we want it to replace the likes of AdAware, SpyBot S&D or MS's version. I would have to say No as I think that we would be getting into the realms of bloatware.

If it were a simple tool to query if a registry key entry is creation/modified, then a definite Yes. So for me the question is too general to to give a qualified answer.

Stop a trojan/malware from creating registry entries and I believe much of the problem would either be eliminated or make it easier to clean using avast's normal standard shield. Just my thoughts without full knowledge of how/why malware creates registry entries, and if simply stopping that will reduce/eliminate the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

taco78

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:19:14 PM »
I voted yes.

but I would see a separate aplication not a all-in-one antivirus-antispyware aplication, just to keep it simple.
I would like to see a realtime protection like antivirus.
but........
Then intergrate webshield in the antispyware instead of in the antivirus right now.

I hope you all understand what I mean with my bad English :-[

Taco

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:31:06 AM »
all-in-one are aplication

Nobody wants this... Neither I.
Just add the antispyware feature as it could be related to antivirus features...

Tomatzu

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 07:07:12 PM »
I don't think it should entirely be set around one feature, and it incorporates a lot into the main foundations as an Anti-Virus program, as well as removing some sleezy shit that a lot of other scanners won't touch. Adding anti-spyware into anti-virus in my opinion will boost the credit Avast already has, so should it be added in, let it be added in. It'll further increase the defence of a users PC.

taco78

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 11:26:12 PM »
I don't think it should entirely be set around one feature, and it incorporates a lot into the main foundations as an Anti-Virus program, as well as removing some sleezy shit that a lot of other scanners won't touch. Adding anti-spyware into anti-virus in my opinion will boost the credit Avast already has, so should it be added in, let it be added in. It'll further increase the defence of a users PC.

I don't agree because you wil lose summary.
Or if it can scan on spyware like it does now with virusses and uses the same update definitions it will be good.
but I'm scared it will be more bloated then Norton so the reputation of avast will be grounded and avast will not excist anymore.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 11:50:25 PM »
Spy Shield would be a fine solution. Use it or leave it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »
Spy Shield would be a fine solution. Use it or leave it.

Yeah!  ;)

Starfighter

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 05:12:13 AM »
I voted No.

Let avast do what it does best:  anti-virus.   I can't stand bloated "do it all" programs like Norton Internet Security etc.  I prefer specialized software.   And with Alwil having a relatively small'ish staff, they'd get IMHO overloaded if they had to tackle both viruses AND spyware...  So, as they say, do one thing, and do it well, and then you'll succeed rather than doing many things half-baked.  avast does one thing well, and that's detecting viruses.

And why re-invent the wheel?  For spyware, there are already quite a few excellent free/pay programs.  Examples: Lavasoft's Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, Spycatcher, Hijack-this... even MS's beta spyware killer (although it doesn't work on Win 98  :(

Just my opinion though...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »
I can't stand bloated "do it all" programs like Norton Internet Security etc.

Nobody of us want this.
I just know that spyware is very close of virus and can be handle with the same tools that avast already has.
We want quality, not a bloatware  ;)

Tomatzu

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 06:33:16 PM »
I doubt it'd increase in size for a few extra lines of code, but who am I to say, I have no knowledge in what programming language Avast was made in in the first place. Adding the features wouldn't really equate to eating disk space anyway, as it's made to be compact in the first place.

Anything like Norton deserves to be shot. Not only is it bloatware, it's also actiware (you need to activate it online before it'll begin to protect your PC, and if you don't update its definitions, it kills itself), and basically a pile of crap. Avast does the job x times better and comparing it to Norton is just stupid.

However, should Avast have such a feature added in to reinforce what it currently finds I think would be ideal for a lot of standard users and I believe that it would make the software more popular. However, we don't really have a say in that. I voted yes mainly because of the idea, however, that doesn't necessarily mean I totally agree with it, as even I feel Avast has got enough to make the 'typical' user satisfied (I use the term typical to define the technical users overall here).

DDVshark

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 11:32:50 AM »
I voted yes with Reservations
If you join the 2 programs together, wont it become a bit confusing for the people who dont know much about viruses and spyware.
like me :-[

Spyros

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 12:07:09 PM »
DDVshark >< (((*>
Could you please make your avatar smaller? 100x100 instead of 449x339 would be great.  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 02:27:28 PM »
DDVshark >< (((*>
Could you please make your avatar smaller? 100x100 instead of 449x339 would be great.  ;)

Yes please... and that's what states in our forum POLICY (there is a button up there, but it seems like no one ever reads it)...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 01:56:09 AM »
It will be very good to have an official comment from Alwil...
Will you lose your job if you vote wrong? I can't imagine that Eduard will do it  ;D