Author Topic: Avast 8 Free will NOT register  (Read 16108 times)

newview

Avast 8 Free will NOT register
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
I allowed the update to Avast 8 from Avast 7 about a week ago and today I got a message that I have 30 days before my registration expires. I've clicked the "Register Now" button numerous times ... I see a pop-up "Retrieving information, please wait..." and then NOTHING. The button has a little swirtly indicating activity but obviously it just times out ... over & over & over.

Is this a server issue again?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116654.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 8 Free will NOT register
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »
Possibly, you could use the old off-line method - scroll further down in the Registration screen click the off-line web form. Complete that and you should receive a registration key by email, enter that in the off-line registration, enter key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

newview

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
Well ... there is no further info or off-line option in the Registration GUI in Avast 8.

Is there a site URL where I could re-register?
Or barring that ... some update from Avast that it's a known issue and they are addressing it?
Any ETA of a resolution?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
Can you not scroll further down from the Register Now button (as that should be where it is) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

newview

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:22:10 AM »
Can you not scroll further down from the Register Now button (as that should be where it is) ?

No ... there are no scroll bars at all to scroll down.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:40 AM »
I don't know why you don;t have scroll bars, that option should also be available.

You still have 30 days remaining, perhaps as that gets to 28 that may change. You might also want to try an avast repair and see if that gives the additional information.
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

newview

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »
OK ... did a repair & rebooted.

No luck ... still no scroll bars nor will the Avast "Register Now" button do anything.
In addition, any attempt to "Sign In" using the Account link at the top right does nothing ... times out similar to the  "Register Now" button.

Also ... I went into the Settings link and selected the Account tab ... and then selected the "Connect Now" button ... same result ... Nothing Happening ... times out.

I have an Avast Account ... have had every since it was instituted in Avast 7.

Avast 8 is NOT CONNECTING nor transmitting info.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:50:49 AM by newview »

newview

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:28 AM »
I uninstalled and then reinstalled Avast 8 ... this is the only way I could successfully re-register.

So far I'm not impressed with Avast 8.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:04:37 AM »
Lets hold judgement until you have some time on it, major updates are a time when hiccups can happen.

I had nightmares on the closed beta and early public betas, but from beta3 on it has been a dream not a night mare. Other than the bloody white GUI in the free version with no contrast.

Starship1

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »
I allowed the update to Avast 8 from Avast 7 about a week ago and today I got a message that I have 30 days before my registration expires. I've clicked the "Register Now" button numerous times ... I see a pop-up "Retrieving information, please wait..." and then NOTHING. The button has a little swirtly indicating activity but obviously it just times out ... over & over & over.

Is this a server issue again?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116654.0

Good Afternoon All,

I have the same problem as you had Newview, I cannot get my latest install of Avast 8 (8.0.1483) to register, the only difference is I am already registered with Avast.
If I sign-into my Avast account, the registration says I'm OK until Feb 20th 2014. Also I do have the option of scrolling further down from the Register Now button unlike you.

The UI says I have 27 days remaining for registration, so my question is:-

(1) should I try another re-installation of Avast 8 (I was one of the users who had the BSOD etc from the Zone Alarm Firewall confliction. Many thanks for the fix Avast!).

(2) a Repair of Avast.
or

(3) try the "Offline Registration".

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »
As you say there is no rush. I certainly wouldn't try a reinstall, unless you had a GUI problem, missing elements in the UI, as 'newview' did. But the first step should be a repair the easiest option.

But for this with no other avast issue then those are probably unnecessary, You can try the off-line registration method, fill in the web form and you get an email sent with the registration key.

newview

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
]
I have the same problem as you had Newview, I cannot get my latest install of Avast 8 (8.0.1483) to register, the only difference is I am already registered with Avast.

Just to be clear ... I was ALSO registered with Avast and have been every since they began the registration inside the program itself, back in Avast 7. I have been a free licensed user of Avast for years, probably version 3 or 4, and have installed Avast on hundreds of my co-workers personal at-home computers, (many of which subsequently purchased Avast) in my job as webmaster for my local county government.

Starship1

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
As you say there is no rush. I certainly wouldn't try a reinstall, unless you had a GUI problem, missing elements in the UI, as 'newview' did. But the first step should be a repair the easiest option.

But for this with no other avast issue then those are probably unnecessary, You can try the off-line registration method, fill in the web form and you get an email sent with the registration key.

Hi DavidR,
I've given your suggestion of the off-line registration method a try. To my surprise I received an email with the registration key in it. Things went to plan and I managed to successfully register Avast 8.  The only strange thing is, it says I've registered it ahead of time 1/04/2013, that's April 1st this year and we are still in March. See picture below. I still cannot log-in to my Avast account from the UI, but that's not the end of the world. Hopefully everything is good, and my pc is protected as it should be.

Many thanks DavidR for your help.

Just to be clear ... I was ALSO registered with Avast and have been every since they began the registration inside the program itself, back in Avast 7. I have been a free licensed user of Avast for years, probably version 3 or 4, and have installed Avast on hundreds of my co-workers personal at-home computers, (many of which subsequently purchased Avast) in my job as webmaster for my local county government.

Hi Newview,

So that means your problem with the registration issue was identical to mine, other than I had the option of scrolling further down from the Register Now button.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
I believe that when sending the registration out they effectively starts from the next month, so it is a little bonus.

Have you already created your my.avast.com account ?
If so are you able to log on to it using your browser ?

Starship1

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
DavidR,
That's what must have been happening then, so that's all good. 

Yes, I have already created my.Avast.com account, that just has information of an earlier registration of Avast 7 on it, no mention of Avast 8 registration.
Perhaps that will up date sometime. I can access my.Avast.com account by clicking on the word  "Account" (near top of the UI on the right hand side) followed by clicking on "Go to my account".

Thank you for your reply.