Author Topic: New skin is coming (Silhouette_4in1)...  (Read 123445 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: New skin is coming...
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2005, 01:54:43 PM »
Thank you very much. I'm glad that you think this skin looks professional. I know there were few attempts to make a professional looking skin, and I'm not sure have we succeeded any, but anyway, now we've got ourselves one more horse for race, right ?

Some people complained about "too gamey" looking skins in download section... but I still believe that it is actually very good if we give multiple choices to avast! users, much better than just one default look. This way, everybody can find something for him/herself... if you like, "gamey" skins, you have few choices, if you are more into "professional" design, you have something in download section... on the other hand, if you don't like skins at all, you can have skinless interface. Alwil Software made a wonderful step forward with all these features I strongly believe.

Here is another screenshoot... "in action" - when LOCAL DISKS as scanning location are selected, and when scanning process is running. I like how those 3 buttons shows us what is selected and what's not...  ;)

Cheers !

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2005, 02:00:30 PM »
Sasha,

can you add the "Selected Paths"  area to the skin?

And the "Background" button isn't necessary?

Regards
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2005, 02:15:41 PM »
Thanks Sasha I have to agree this is the best one yet.
One Problem.... No Star Trek sounds..... ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »
Sasha,

can you add the "Selected Paths"  area to the skin?

And the "Background" button isn't necessary?

Regards

I'm sorry but that's not possible. I don't have access to those information and it has to be hardcoded in avast! code. Anyway, I already sent this skin to Vlk, and I strongly believe that if I add even one small thing to that skin, it will lose simplicity and professional look. We all tried to make something simple, so let's not complicate things even more.

What do you mean by "Background button" ? You meant on On-Demand Scan button when disabled ? Yes, it should be there, and as you can see, it's greyed out... that means that it did it's function, it brought those 3 subbutons to the screen and it didn't disappear, but went grey to show that On-Demand area is "in use". Button is greyed out just to show that On-Demand button is not accessible at that point, but also it shows us that On-Demand area is active. Also, On-Demand Scan button in the background breaks symetric form of the display area, which I like the most. I hate when something is 100% symetric. Nothing in the World is perfect, so neither our display area... Symetric = sometimes boring. I really like it this way, and even if I haven't sent that skin to Vlk, I don't believe I would change that anyway...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 02:28:40 PM by /szc\ »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »
Thanks Sasha I have to agree this is the best one yet.
One Problem.... No Star Trek sounds..... ;D

Haha... Start Trek sounds... you are telling me that someone will come and ask for those too ? Then we can just turn that skin into childs playground... add some sand pool, some plastic toys, little butterfly, and instead of MENU button - little plastic bucket for digging the sand  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »
New inspiration for skin? ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2005, 02:32:02 PM »
Haha, yes maybe... perhaps... I still have many friends down in Croatia, and some of them really like those "gamey" skins... maybe I should make one for Ondrej's little beautiful baby boy... something like "avast! for precious kids".

That would be a blast... I know that. And I would really like to see what would all those avast! haters out there have to say regarding that skin. It would be something like: "HAHA, This is most professional skin they ever came up with... it sucks just like that antivirus..."

Oh boy, that makes me laugh... I am sure we would see comments like that...

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2005, 02:37:29 PM »
Sasha,

I'm talking about this button:

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2005, 02:44:12 PM »
That button doesn't exist on skined interface. At least I never saw it there... As I said, it's hardcoded into avast! program itself. It has nothing to do with skins, so we don't have access to those information... or at least, I am not aware of them...

Anyway, you can always press MINIMIZE button up there on the skin and it will bring your scanning process in the background.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2005, 03:44:42 PM »
Minimize is the same as Go to Background.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2005, 03:51:57 PM »
Yes, I mentioned same thing in my previous post... everybody can just use MINIMIZE button and that'll do the same job.

So I guess it is possible just to add new button, go to background, but then, all we get is unnecessary two buttons with exactly the same objective.. minimizing to the task bar. And worst of all, we don't have enough space on the skin, and I didn't want to make another huge skin.

Cheers !

Spyros

« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2005, 04:09:25 PM »
Sasha, congratulations!
I've been using the skinless version since it came out, because of the clean & simple interface. But you made me use skins again with this one. I believe it should be avast's default skin from now on.  8)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »
Thank you Spyros, but I wouldn't go that far (regarding default skin)... I mean, I am really glad you people like it, but it just don't feel right towards Martin Novak. He is the one and only designer that Alwil house pays. He does some remarkable graphic jobs for Alwil Software. I don't believe that anyone can replace his work just like that, and I don't think it would be fair to choose someone else's skin as default one. Sure I'd be very glad if one of mine skins is default one, that's a dream of every skin designer, but as I said I don't think it would be appropriate action...

I am also sure that Martin Novak can come up with something so professional that it will just "kill" my latest skin release. He proved that million of times by now, with that wonderful, easy for the eyes, web site design, wonderful skins (he is the one that actually started all this skin craziness  ;D), publicities and other stuff... also, his SIMPLE USER INTERFACE (skinless one) is wonderful and unbelievable good. Sometimes I get bored with skins myself, so I use his SUI (skinless).

I am very happy you all accepted this project and you all were part of it.
WE DID IT TOGETHER PEOPLE !!!
It's not just me, and it was always like that... it's just some people never see those things. I wanna thank you all for giving your opinions and suggestions, you all were great part of designing this project. I also wanna send some special thanks to DavidR (THANK YOU) and to RejZoR for being so kind and let me use his web space for these 3 releases (actually there are 2 versions only left, 3in1 is out of the business since 4in1 completely "killed" it).

I also wanna thank to Martin Novak for using his idea and design style of the avast! official web page. I had great time porting it to this skin project. I hope he will find this skin attractive and good looking.

Thank you people !!!

Spyros

« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2005, 04:46:55 PM »
(actually there are 2 versions only left, 3in1 is out of the business since 4in1 completely "killed" it).
OK, in a couple of years, I'll start selling it in the black market as a "collector's item"  ;D

I also wanna thank to Martin Novak for using his idea and design style of the avast! official web page. I had great time porting it to this skin project. I hope he will find this skin attractive and good looking.
Amen  8)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2005, 04:49:18 PM »
Thanks for you work, Sasha ;)  :P