Author Topic: Issue: avast! 4.6-665 Pro and Mozilla Firefox  (Read 16521 times)

soulstace

Issue: avast! 4.6-665 Pro and Mozilla Firefox
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:08:39 AM »
Hi,

I've been getting a weird problem with avast! and firefox webbrowser.  Sometimes when I go to a webpage I get "This document contains no data" error message and the page doesn't load.  I found I could get the webpage to load by terminating the script blocking and/or webshield modules.  Of course I'd like to keep these running at all times for maximum protection, so is there any options I should change to fix it?

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Issue: avast! 4.6-665 Pro and Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 10:43:52 AM »
So the problem is reproducible on specific URL's? Or mere hitting of F5 (Refresh) causes the page to be displayed correctly...?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

soulstace

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:47:36 AM »
Well, I get this message quite frequently on all different types of websites.  New one today: www.station-drivers.com

If I hit F5 it just refreshes my homepage (google) because the website never actually gets loaded.

soulstace

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 10:50:10 AM »
Oops sorry bad example that site seems to be down at the moment.  But I get different message depending on whether the AV is on or off  ???

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 11:02:40 AM »

You are not using Zonealarm by any chance if you are you will need to turn off your privacy settings

that is ZA/Privacy/Cookie Control "Off"/Add Blocking "Off"/Mobile Code Control "Off"

I was having similar problem this sorted it out. This is a ZA problem not Avast AV
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 11:06:57 AM »
That is normal.

For FireFox, if WebShield is active and a site you're trying to access is unreachable, you get "Document contains no data". Without WebShield, the message reads "The operation timed out when attempting to contact <server>". In  any case, this should only be displayed for sites that are really down.

The difference is caused by the fact that Firefox handles proxy connections differently. There's not much we can do about that...

BTW IE always displays the same error message.

kamulko

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 03:39:16 PM »
How can I disable this annoyng popup message ("Document contains no data") without deactivate the webshield?  ???

DaveD

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 04:00:11 PM »
sounds to me like a DNS issue with your ISP DNS servers being slow or overloaded from time to time...

Try TreeWalk DNS, an incredible piece of free software.
http://ntcanuck.com/

Fixed all my problems and made browsing in general much faster.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 04:07:43 PM »
Hi,

I've been getting a weird problem with avast! and firefox webbrowser.  Sometimes when I go to a webpage I get "This document contains no data" error message and the page doesn't load.  I found I could get the webpage to load by terminating the script blocking and/or webshield modules.  Of course I'd like to keep these running at all times for maximum protection, so is there any options I should change to fix it?

Thanks

Just one small note... I don't think avast's Script blocker is anyhow connected to your problem... since avast! script blocking works only with IE, Mozilla and Netscape Navigator, not with Firefox. However, your problem deals with WEB shield as Vlk already mentioned in his latest reply.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

cvsa

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 04:45:04 PM »
i have the same problem more often (document contains no data) since last update. ???

it's looks like a random problem on some pages sometimes.... very strange.

i use to happen before, but not so often since last update (5 or 5 times /day  !)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 04:49:47 PM »
Yes but these are dead links right??

cvsa

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »
no they re not. a few minutes later or after clicking on another link on the page , i come back to the link causing problem and it works...

ex: the link "books" on amazon.fr doesn't work while the link "dvd" works... then back to de precedent page and "books" works ???

cvsa

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 05:28:07 PM »
i'm not sure it's a problem with avast but i just noticed that it happens very often since last update......

we would need more firefox users' testimony to be able to conclude... :-\

kamulko

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »
Vlk, in my case I'm sure:(using firefox 1.0.4) this behaviour don't depends from the webshield settings. Disabled or not, in Normal or High protection level, the music is the same. I can see the messages on the same specific sites I used for test. In IE the same pages are not affected by the popups messages. Verifing the link is easy to see how the blocked addresses are related to some advertising banners or popup. Are not dead links. In conclusion, no webshields defects.  Added: the popups don't specific the name of the applications who's blocking the links. Maybe Avast! is not responsible.

cvsa

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 05:40:27 PM »
Vlk, in my case I'm sure:(using firefox 1.0.4) this behaviour don't depends from the webshield settings. Disabled or not, in Normal or High protection level, the music is the same. I can see the messages on the same specific sites I used for test. In IE the same pages are not affected by the popups messages. Verifing the link is easy to see how the blocked addresses are related to some advertising banners or popup. Are not dead links. In conclusion, no webshields defects.  Added: the popups don't specific the name of the applications who's blocking the links. Maybe Avast! is not responsible.

what is the site you used for tests ?