Author Topic: Avast! IS 2014 Firewall Blocking IIS  (Read 14602 times)

mrfr33z3

Avast! IS 2014 Firewall Blocking IIS
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
I do quite a bit of development on a machine that I've just updated to IS 2014. After reboot, I attempted to perform my normal duties and found that the Avast Firewall was blocking a site I have running on port 81 for local development. I have Apache serving up port 80 just fine, as I was able to add an application rule directly for Apache.exe.

I managed to remove the firewall block that was causing the Visual Studio remote debugger from hanging while spinning up the Azure Compute Emulator, but cannot figure out how to allow IIS running on port 81 to make it through. I'm basically attempting to access a local instance of IIS from the same box through different browsers. I tried adding an exception for "svchost.exe" on port 81 to no avail. I tried this route only because this is the executable that handles the "World Wide Web Publishing" service (IIS).

Does anyone have any idea as to how one would go about adding an IIS exclusion for port 81?

(I must say that I've been displeased with this new version of Avast IS. I do not appreciate how much Avast has been "dumbing down" the UI with every passing version. I understand the need for simplicity "at-a-glance", but it just makes specific features/settings harder to find if/when you need to. I'm also noticing Chrome "lock up" intermittently for roughly 3-5 seconds. It's happening here and there while I write this. I did not experience this at all until yesterday/today. That is another matter entirely that I will post separately if this issue persists.)

REDACTED

Re: Avast! IS 2014 Firewall Blocking IIS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
I totally agree, they have hidden the obvious prts. I have to inactivate the firewall and then I can work. Then when i activate it continue to work until next time the block is happen. It is time consuming and frustrating.

I want to allow my IIS full access to my own browswers.

/K

funk31

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Blocking my Apache web server port 80, can't do anything tried to change Apache settings and Avast IS firewall settings and no results. What we need to do ???

funk31

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
i've fixed my Apache problem by the user sugarfunk post below:
I found reference to 8081 in AVAST. Removed it, and now SB starts just fine and no issues.
1) Go to "Settings"
2) Go to "Troubleshooting"
3) Expand "Redirect Settings"
4) Under "WEB" look for 8081
5) Remove "8081"
6) Hit OK and wait about 2-3 minutes

it's good now, but having internet explorer problem remaining. luckily i'm not using ie now, hope avast fix these new 2014 version issues asap

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »
Seems strange considering you said the Apache web server used port 80, but you removed monitoring on port 8081. But you also mention SB, is this the Apache web server ?

I just wonder if it wouldn't have been better to exclude the Apache web server executable in the the AvastUI, Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield -  click the sprocket icon (settings) and scroll down to the Processes to exclude:

This way you leave port 8081 in the list of monitored ports as this is a common http proxy port and may leave you at risk from other functions using port 8081.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

funk31

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 02:56:00 AM »
Thanks DavidR, i just copy&pasted another users post, it seems port 8081 but my case it was 80. and also thank you for your reply.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:06:08 AM by funk31 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 02:17:11 AM »
You're welcome.

EDIT: If however, you removed port 80 from the list, you would effectively disabled the web shield as the greatest majority of http traffic scanning uses that port. This is why it is a better option to exclude the Apache web server executable.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:20:24 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

funk31

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 02:27:46 AM »
Okey. tried it by excluding

httpd.exe and ApacheMonitor.exe from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\bin folder and have no luck ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »
OK, you could try another option, again in the avast Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield settings, Main Settings and check the 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only.'

Hopefully that will work as I wouldn't think that the Apache web server would be considered a well-known browser process.

That's me for the night, after 2:30am here.
EDIT: forgot to attach image.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:42:28 AM by DavidR »

funk31

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Seems strange considering you said the Apache web server used port 80, but you removed monitoring on port 8081. But you also mention SB, is this the Apache web server ?

I just wonder if it wouldn't have been better to exclude the Apache web server executable in the the AvastUI, Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield -  click the sprocket icon (settings) and scroll down to the Processes to exclude:

This way you leave port 8081 in the list of monitored ports as this is a common http proxy port and may leave you at risk from other functions using port 8081.

Yesterday i excluded Apache processes and had no luck, and today tried with reentered port 80 to redirect settings http ports then my apache works fine, Maybe last time i needed to restart my pc or Apache server.

Now it works fine with excluded Apache processes and with 80 port in redirect settings http ports.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:31:37 PM by funk31 »

funk31

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
Oops its off again, what a annoying :(

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
@funk31,

I don't have a solution to your problem but perhaps something else to look at . . . .

When your Apache web server is not functioning please take a look at the Windows Firewall in Control Panel.  I bet that it will state "These settings are being managed by vendor application avast! Internet Security".

When your Apache server is functioning, the same Windows Firewall screen in Control Panel will look "normal" and tell you that Windows Firewall is active.  See my post in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137162.0 for the screens I am talking about.

From your recent posts it appears that you are having a similar problem that I have. To get to the state that Windows Firewall is not being controlled by avast! Internet Security you will have to reboot several times.  Apparently there is an inconsistency with the avast! firewall in that it controls the Windows Firewall on a random basis.

I know this is not a solution but if your situation mirrors mine than perhaps it will assist the avast! team in figuring out what is wrong.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

funk31

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »
You're welcome.

EDIT: If however, you removed port 80 from the list, you would effectively disabled the web shield as the greatest majority of http traffic scanning uses that port. This is why it is a better option to exclude the Apache web server executable.

i configured my apache port 8080 and removed 8080 from Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Redirect Settings -> WEB HTTP ports.

is it ok ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »
Personally I would stay away from removing common proxy ports like this one, to work with one program as it is used by many other things, not just what is installed on your system. So that is drilling a hole in the protection.

That is why I was trying options that were geared up to excluding the Apache Web Server.
Did you try the option I gave in Reply #8 ?

What is strange is the intermittent behaviour, in sometimes it worked and then it didn't, really it should either work or it shouldn't.

Are you getting any errors/messages displayed to the screen when you try to use it ?

funk31

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 12:54:40 AM »
Personally I would stay away from removing common proxy ports like this one, to work with one program as it is used by many other things, not just what is installed on your system. So that is drilling a hole in the protection.

That is why I was trying options that were geared up to excluding the Apache Web Server.
Did you try the option I gave in Reply #8 ?

What is strange is the intermittent behaviour, in sometimes it worked and then it didn't, really it should either work or it shouldn't.

Are you getting any errors/messages displayed to the screen when you try to use it ?

ok, tnx i tried and now configured like your both recommendations.
I have no error messages just my localhost/ or localhost/project1/ is not loading in any browser? if i removed 80 or 8080 ports from Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Redirect Settings -> WEB HTTP ports, it works again. :(