Author Topic: I can no longer Recommend Avast.  (Read 9010 times)

I can no longer Recommend Avast.
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »
 >:(  :(

Like most of you, I used to love avast.

But they have completely ruined this product. 

-The multiple ads, (Even for paid users!)
-The constant nagging to upgrade to paid
-The bugs affecting slow loading of programs, crashing web browsers
-Worst of all: The added "grimefighter" component popping up ads asking to "speed up your computer". This is just ridiculous.
This is worse then the ads on TV that state you need to buy this to fix your PC!

I have had it. You have lost a 6 year user.

Avast is in the dumps. I feel ashamed to have ever recommended you guys now. You are just grabbing money anymore.

AdrianH

Re: I can no longer Recommend Avast.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
What adverts ?   I never see any adverts or upgrade requests.   

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
I have no issues with Avast!. And your CPU and mine are about the same. I should also point you, it's most likely you have "Adware" sitting on your system as I have not once seen an Advertisement from Avast!. I should also point out, I do not have GrimeFighter. Never have.

Upgrade Requests can be disabled, but even so I think I've seen 1 in the 5 years I've used Avast!
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

been

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
There are 'toaster' ads where the vps update notification used to be! These are mildly irritating but as long as they don't become any more intrusive I'm prepared to accept them as the price of a 'free' AV application of Avast's quality. I share the OP's misgivings about Grimefighter so chose to deselect it at installation. It can be easily removed using the component uninstall facility.

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »
Toaster Ads? Damn, I don't see any idea's. Can you attach a screenShot?
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
I don't have adware. I am talking about the ads that are clearly from avast in the bottom right corner. It says avast and then they display the ad.
I have the latest version, just manually checked.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »
1) What ads? If you mean the pop-ups, this is an ongoing issue. They should be about vps updates.
2) What nags? avast has every reason to expect a profit. After all the employees want to get paid for their efforts.
3) Crashing web browsers? Just disable the "avast online security" plug-in.
4) Grimefighter? Uninstall it. Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "change">untick the box>reboot.

The one thing that really stands out is that you never complained about the protection.
With all due respect personally I feel you are being rather petty.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »
Toaster Ads? Damn, I don't see any idea's. Can you attach a screenShot?

I think the OP is talking about the vps update pop-ups which show advertising instead of the proper wording.
To me it's no biggie. The OP could, if they wanted to, disable those pop-ups.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
You say you have the latest version, but what EXACT version do you have?
Already disabled the community features ?

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Look at how many things you posted.

I have to do 3 things just to make the product work the way it should? That's ridiculous.

I know avast should get a profit, I understand that. But I have clients with the paid avast who are still getting nagged to upgrade further. Its irritating. To make matters worse, these bugs have been going on for several months now. Its not acceptable.

I am not the only person who feels this way. I know 7 colleagues of mine are switching away as they don't like these changes either.

Just posting my thoughts.

Have a nice day

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Just my thoughts...

Three quite small actions.
Sounds good to me.

You still have not complained about the protection.

cavehomme2

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Just my thoughts...

Three quite small actions.
Sounds good to me.

You still have not complained about the protection.

It might sound minor to you, but it's clearly not minor to many other people, so you should not dismiss the comment so easily. Most people want something to work properly not diminish their protection, take workarounds, play with configurations. If Avast management is like you, they keep kidding themselves that all is OK when it is not, then Avast's future will not be growing the number of clients and revenue. They have serious quality issues which they need to address, also need to revert to version 7 for Windows 7 users, not the ridiculous Win 8 / Metro style which is only great for Windows 8 touchscreen devices, nothing else.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
Don't blame the software if the user is not spending time learning how to use it.

Want to drive a car? You will need to learn how to drive one.
Want to make dinner yourself? You will need to learn how to cook.
Want to use software? You will need to learn how to use it.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
Win 8 / Metro style which is only great for Windows 8 touchscreen devices, nothing else.
Strange, I don't have a touch screen yet I have both Windows 8.1 and avast! 2014 Free - Pro and IS
All of these work very well even without a touch screen. 
Actually, avast! 2014 works in the background so, outside of the occasional VPS update notifications, I don't even know it's there.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »
Win 8 / Metro style which is only great for Windows 8 touchscreen devices, nothing else.
Strange, I don't have a touch screen yet I have both Windows 8.1 and avast! 2014 Free - Pro and IS
All of these work very well even without a touch screen. 
Actually, avast! 2014 works in the background so, outside of the occasional VPS update notifications, I don't even know it's there.

Agreed Bob, I simply do not understand this fuss about the GUI.

I have Win8.1 on an Acer laptop, I don't use the Windows menu or tiles, I have Start8 and go to desktop, and have no touch screen.  Personally I think the avast9 GUI is the best they ever produced.

It is neat, clean and easy to use.

My son has Aspergers Syndrome and is very averse to change, but he prefers this latest GUI, he says it is much easier to understand, the layout is more intuitive.

I have installed avast9 on XP, Vista, Win7 and Win8 for at least 30 people, there have been some issues, now resolved, BUT nobody has complained about the GUI, the comments have all been very positive.