Author Topic: Avast popups getting VERY annoying.  (Read 7733 times)

chrislongski

Avast popups getting VERY annoying.
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
The little popups from the Avast icon on the task bar.  Bip! Bip! Bip!  Popups all over the place constantly.  We need to harangue Avast about this !

Also, I could care less if IE is vulnerable with the current release of Avast.  I use Firefox.  Stop the popup! AND the 3rd-party software versions manager and updater popups -- I'll take care of it myself.  STOP ALL THE POPUPS, or I will delete you, Avast...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast popups getting VERY annoying.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
Please, post a screenshot of the popup. There are info and malware detection popus also.
You can disable update info in avast! > Settings > Update > Details > Show notification box after automatic updates.
The best things in life are free.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »
There are sooooooooo many threads about this scourge http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147560.0

I have 250+ days on my AIS licenses ......... I removed Avast from all my kit, my son has just asked me to do the same with his PC and laptop, the adverts and garbage added at update have annoyed him so much he wants avast gone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
There are sooooooooo many threads about this scourge http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147560.0
Did you follow my advice to disable the update info or you're just repeting "sooooooooo many" posts...?

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »
Did you follow my advice to disable the update info or you're just repeting "sooooooooo many" posts...?

I and all my friends, family and customers have PAID licenses.  Why the hell should anyone have to remove functionality to remove/prevent spam from their machine?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »
I and all my friends, family and customers have PAID licenses.  Why the hell should anyone have to remove functionality to remove/prevent spam from their machine?
They are not spam. They're valuable extra services and softwares, promoted by an internal feature after the updates.
You're not losing protection or other paid function. Oh, you're losing the extras.

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
They are not spam. They're valuable extra services and softwares, promoted by an internal feature after the updates.
You're not losing protection or other paid function. Oh, you're losing the extras.

Tech, they are SPAM.  I had paid products. There should NEVER be any advertising placed on a users screen, NEVER. 

We use security products to STOP pop-ups , PUP's and advertising, now with avast we pay to get the opposite!

I am losing nothing, I wouldn't touch a single one of these " extras" ever, under any circumstances.

When is avast going to wake up to the fact that all they are doing is ANNOYING customers, and driving them away in their thousands ?

In the workshops here we are inundated with complaints, and spending hours each day replacing avast with other AV's.

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »
Go to settings>Appearance and set the time for Information and Update-Popups to 0.

Go to update and Details at the bottom and disable the notification for automatic popups.

Then go back to Appearance and disable the community-Features at the bottom. (This is not bringing down the protection)
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
Go to settings>Appearance and set the time for Information and Update-Popups to 0.

Go to update and Details at the bottom and disable the notification for automatic popups.

Then go back to Appearance and disable the community-Features at the bottom. (This is not bringing down the protection)

Community features have never been enabled on any system I have touched.

The other information pop-ups should not serve adverts. Why should paying users lose that information and functionality ?

The adverts should not be there , there is no excuse for it .

The paying customers are what you need to listen to ......... and thay all say the same thing, " get this c**p off my machine".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »

Zero is an invalid value when you are talking of a duration and actually means (unlimited) this means it will remain open until the user closes the popup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

steen

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:34:56 AM »
OP, the solution as per Tech is to uncheck "show notification box after automatic update".

I also custom install without additional tools & disable community features, streaming & auto updates on my computers. I leave pop up settings at default as it's not an issue with the above mentioned tweak. I even had reputation services database unchecked til recently. However, the latest program update via gui installed Grimefighter without notification, resulting in auto update warnings even with the check box unselected. Uninstalling it fixed things.

Ironic

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
I agree pop-ups are in fact annoying to say the least, even though some are warranted (such as indicating updates). Avast DOES have settings that enable users to turn off every pop-up and its up to the user to take the time to become familiar with any programs settings. I've had a handful of paid options for anti-virus, and the majority of them had pop-ups that offered no option to turn them off through settings. I really don't know why people are taking issue with Avast over pop-ups especially in light of the fact they give users the option to turn off the notifications. All I can suggest is for those that are taking issue with the pop-ups, take the time to learn which settings to use as opposed to just taking the time to complain.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
@ steen    Why would you disable the streaming updates?  ???
                 The streaming updates provide almost up-to-the-minute protection.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AdrianH

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »
I agree pop-ups are in fact annoying to say the least, even though some are warranted (such as indicating updates). Avast DOES have settings that enable users to turn off every pop-up and its up to the user to take the time to become familiar with any programs settings. I've had a handful of paid options for anti-virus, and the majority of them had pop-ups that offered no option to turn them off through settings. I really don't know why people are taking issue with Avast over pop-ups especially in light of the fact they give users the option to turn off the notifications. All I can suggest is for those that are taking issue with the pop-ups, take the time to learn which settings to use as opposed to just taking the time to complain.

The problem is not pop-ups ........ they are adverts.

Most of those complaining in the many threads on this subject are veteran users of Avast, not newbies  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »
I am losing nothing, I wouldn't touch a single one of these " extras" ever, under any circumstances.
I respect your opinion.
Please, respect the way avast! give the users the option to disable the messages.
avast! > Settings > Update > Details > Show notification box after automatic updates